Peloton Interactive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Peloton Interactive Interview Questions

Interviews at Peloton Interactive

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive in August 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiting agency that worked closely with Peloton. There was no phone direct contact with Peloton until the in person interview. They showed me the product and talked for a while, then sat me down for a pen and paper coding quiz. All the questions were the typical things you would find on google coding challenges, codeeval, and so on. None were exceptionally hard, but one or two were designed to see that you *really* knew Python well.

I did just fine, stumbled on the question listed below but even senior developers stumble there, apparently. In the end, the recruiter told me that they were really hoping for a more senior developer, but wanted to consider other (undoubtedly more affordable) options.

Know the ups and downs of Python. Know how try/catch/finally is different in Python than from other languages. Be good with runtime and space complexity. I was asked to write the simple fib sequence, so I did it recursively. They then asked me to do it dynamically, so I did. They then asked me to compare the runtime and space complexity of both, and state how much better the dynamic version was, if it was (obviously it was).

In the end I felt like my time was wasted. I did more than fine on the test, and they are a really diverse group so I couldn't imagine that it was a bad culture / personality fit. I think they just didn't want to pay for a senior developer and then realized that a recent-grad just isn't going to be able to get done what someone with 10+ years of experience can do.

My advice would be to inquire strongly about what they are *exactly* looking for.

Interview Questions

• What does this print?

def paradox():
              return "Or maybe there"

return "Or here?"

print paradox()   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive.

Interview

I've recently applied to a swath of startups and Peloton was the most WTF interview experience I've had, probably ever.

I applied via a friend who forwarded my resume to HR. Peloton then reached out to me and asked me to apply via their careers page as well, which I promptly did. I was then contacted by a recruiter who asked for my availability; my week was wide open, so I let this person know that anytime is fine.

After not hearing anything for a couple of days, I contacted Peloton again, and, this time, I managed to set up a specific time for a phone call. The time came and passed, and no one called.

I had to contact them again and got some excuse about a calendar popup. Fine. After finally managing to talk with the recruiter a couple of days later, I was informed that I'd be getting a coding challenge - they were almost apologetic about this part of the process and blamed some team member for insisting on it. Okay, whatever.

A couple of days later, no coding challenge. I was contacted by someone random from the engineering team who let me know in blunt terms that they'd be "doing my phone screen". I replied to this person with my availability, and heard nothing for a couple of days.

Some time later, another random person contacted me and said that THEY would be the ones doing my phone screen (there was no mention of the previous person or any contact from the recruiter during this whole time). They offered me some time blocks for the phone screen, and I picked one.

A day later, the person contacted me again, and said that the time block they originally offered would not work, and I had to pick an alternate one. I settled on a different time, and we finally managed to have the phone screen, which was pretty standard fare. Just general systems knowledge questions, some networking, some linux, and so on. Nothing unexpected.

The original recruiter contacted me again a day or so later and let me know that I'll have to complete the coding challenge. This involved taking a dump of data in one storage format and writing a program to massage it into another. I was told that it would only take a couple of hours, but I think a more honest estimate would be 4-8 hours.

After submitting my answer to the challenge, I was asked by Peloton's recruiter to come out for an onsite interview. Once again, I had wide availability over the next couple of days, so I replied saying, pretty much anytime would work in those two days.

I heard nothing back.

Until, a couple of days later, the same recruiter called me from Peloton asking me where I am. I was a bit taken aback, because there was nothing on my calendar. Turns out, they scheduled me for an onsite interview, without so much as a calendar invite, let alone a confirmation e-mail. And now, for the unbelievable part: literally while I was on the phone with the person, the event magically appeared on my calendar! I figured this was a tactic to shift the blame for wasting several hours of people's time. What they didn't count on is that I'm a developer who knows a thing or two about the GCal API. Yes - I looked up the event - and the original create time was during the phone call, ten minutes after my interview was supposed to start.

At this point, I thanked them for their time and proceeded to accept another offer. I have never encountered such a stunning lack of professionalism and coordination on behalf of a company. Guys, the challenging part of an interview process is supposed to be the technical questioning, not relentlessly pursuing the recruiters in hopes of getting on the phone with someone.

I sincerely hope that this review compels Peloton to improve their candidate experience, because, otherwise, I can't imagine who would want to work for a company that ignores their candidates.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

The behavioral phone screen was pretty simple and standard, and I was told the next day that I would do a technical phone interview. This phone interview process was terrible. The interviewer had an incredibly thick accent which made it really difficult to understand what he was saying, and I eventually had to ask him to type out the questions he was asking in our shared HackerRank page. One of the questions was incredibly difficult (a combinatorics question), and seeing as I did not have a math background, I was unable to answer it (I shared the problem with several math major friends and even they struggled to come to the right answer). When I heard that I was rejected, I asked for feedback so I could improve on future interviews, and I never heard back from them.

Interview Questions

• How many different ways are there to paint a fence if no more than two adjacent fence posts can be the same color?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

1. HR call
    2. Tech screening, a bunch of JS fundamental question and talked about their current tech stack, they are using typescript.
    3. on site, met with team member, designer, tech lead and CTO. It's a position to build UI for their commercial website. The designer has a lot of animation related work for the future, so asked about my background of animation in UI part (make me not exciting about the position). Then a backend tech lead asked a leetcode question and another leetcode from CTO. Asked the CTO what's his principle for building a good eng team. He said 80% of time should be invested on hiring. (I dont like this answer at all)

4. no response at all

Interview Questions

• Letter Combinations of a Phone Number   1 Answer
    • Javascript hoisting related question   1 Answer
    • permutation   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive (New York, NY).

Interview

2 phone screenings followed by 4-5 onsite interviews. The recruiters did a good job at selling the company to me. The interviews are challenging just at the Google interviews level. Apparently the company is growing rapidly, but the technically challenges faced by the company are not that big since the number of users is still low.

The products are highly priced.
    $2000 for a bike and $40 subscription per month.
    $4000 for a treadmill.

Very niche group buys these products hence the small number of users.

Interview Questions

• 1) Implement hashmap data structure. Write code for the methods get and put. You have to implement either open addressing or linear probing to handle collisions.   Answer Question
    • 2) Word break question from leet code   Answer Question
    • 3) Sorting colors question from leet code   Answer Question
    • 4) Maximum subarray and Maxium product subarray   Answer Question
    • 5) Design question about Twitter. Lot of follow-up questions.

Show enthusiasm. All the best.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Met the Peloton recruiters at a career fair. Was able to give them a resume and to my surprise they called me in for an interview. Overall this was a great experience and enjoyed spending time with the recruiters during my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

Applied thru website. Received a code challenge exam on Hacker rank. Done the 3 practice problems on hacker rank quickly. Went to do the real test afterwards. The challenge level raised dramatically compared to the practice problems. Also, it's 75 mins for 4 problems! I spent 30 mins solving the first one. I could have done it quicker, but I wasn't familiar using hacker rank and I was rushing. After solving the first problem, I know I couldn't finish the rest in time, so I gave up.

I don't like time constrains on the coding challenge. It's probably another thing that caused me to take longer time to complete the first problem, I was rushing. Most of the time, quick coding only produce inefficient junk. I'm not a quick coder, but I get my coding project done quickly and efficiently, because I start/plan early. Hopefully if a HR sees this can improve it.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive.

Interview

4 difficult Hacker rank questions in 75 minutes, was not really doable within the allotted time. Fewer questions or more time would be required to finish this hacker rank assessment.

Interview Questions

• All possible combinations of hours for rest of week worked given a number of hours already worked in one week   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive.

Interview

Talked to a recruiter. Didn't hear back from them for 2 months despite reaching out. Eventually heard back from another recruiter looking to reschedule the same interview. Had to explain that I'd already talked to someone and was finally able to schedule a tech screen.

Day of, no call from the tech screen interviewer. Reach out to a recruiter and someone calls me 15 min late. Guy doesn't speak english very well and sounds like he's in the next room on speaker phone. He was decently nice thought - if a little flat. He then proceeds to ask me the the most difficult DP problem I've ever heard. Not only is this problem beyond the pale for a phone interview, but I highly doubt it comes close to anything they work on given my understanding of their platform and customer base.

Overall annoying process that feels like it speaks to what it's like to work here.

Interview Questions

• Given an array of integers and a result, determine whether you can insert * / + - in between to produce result. Operator precedence matters.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Peloton Interactive.

Interview

The first step is introduce yourself. For example any internships and any projects you've done. Then the interviewer asked a programming problem and let you solve it on either paper or a text editor.