Penn Mutual Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Penn Mutual

2.7

Life Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood Shores, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Redwood Shores, CA) in October 2018.

Interview

I met with the sales manager and we talked for 1.5 hours. At first it was a standard interview; what have you done, how much did you sell etc. Then we started to talk. Great guy and interested as much in my goals and needs as he was in what they were looking for.

Interview Questions

Penn Mutual Response

Nov 5, 2018 – AVP, Distribution Talent Development

We’re happy to hear that your experience was so positive. We strive to create an interview experience for advisers that focuses not only on the career and position, but on the adviser and his or her goals. Thank you for the feedback.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Horsham, PA) in August 2018.

Interview

Telephonic interview followed by in person
    Mostly on how java xml broker works (internals not APIs), then Java certification type questions (based on inheritance problems, static variables, inner classes ) given code, what will be output. SQL vs noSQL dbs. Interviewer won't answer question if you didn't know it. I felt its bit rude, even I interviewed candidates and if candidate request, I will answer the question.

Interview Questions

• Mostly on how java xml broker works (internals not APIs), then Java certification type questions (based on inheritance problems, static variables, inner classes ) given code, what will be output. SQL vs noSQL dbs   Answer Question

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

This is such a churn and burn operation. Interview with 8 other people at one time. Actually saw two other applicant show up unshaven and without a tie on and both were called back for second interviews. Interview lasted close to 3 hours. Ridiculous.

Interview Questions

• Asked for a very general background as we went around the room. 9 people telling their stories   Answer Question

Jun 19, 2018 – AVP, Distribution Talent Development

Thank you for sharing your review regarding your participation with a career presentation session.

We are sorry to hear about your experience because it is inconsistent with the core values and expectations that we practice every day. At Penn Mutual, our guiding principles apply to everyone in our company. These principles include respecting one another, valuing diverse experiences and points of views, and connecting with the communities where we work and live. In addition, we strive always to comply with all applicable laws and regulations that govern our business operations.

If you'd like to share specifics regarding your experience, please feel free to contact me at 215-956-8112 or Mike Sticklin in Human Resources at 215-956-8411.

Financial Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Penn Mutual in April 2018.

Interview

I went to an interview and the recruiter focus more in my personal life not in my experience. He told me he has another personal company at the same time. He did not tell me about the company salary and benefits. He asked me to return back. He was not polite and asked my questions about national origin and made me feel uncomfortable. They requested me to sign a background check. I sent it. Some days later I received a phone call for another interview but I declined due to recruiter attitudes . I don't know if this was a particular experience.

Interview Questions

Penn Mutual Response

Apr 16, 2018 – AVP, HR Operations

Thank you for your review and candid feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience because it is inconsistent with the core values and expectations that we practice every day. At Penn Mutual, our guiding principles include respect for one another, valuing our differences, and having a shared sense of belonging in our workplace. We encourage you to contact Amy Williams in Human Resources at 215.956.8084 so we can learn more about your experience.

Human Resources Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Horsham, PA) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and the recruiter reached out right away. She asked basic questions about my experience. I was then invited to come into the office to meet with the recruiter and two other people from HR that this role would support. The interview wasn't difficult. However, I followed up multiple times and the recruiter didn't respond. I reached out to the other interviewees, no response. It would be courteous to let the candidate know a simple status update. There is no point in providing your business card, if you will be non-responsive. It says a lot about their "HR" culture.

Its always courteous to let the candidate know by phone or email if they did or did not get the position. A simple update. Especially, if its the final intervew and you state a decision will be made in a week.

Weeks later...no update.

Interview Questions

Penn Mutual Response

Apr 17, 2018 – AVP, Human Resources

Thank you for your review. The experience you shared is not what we expect for our candidates and not representative of our culture. We appreciate your feedback on your candidate experience as it is helpful for us to continue to enhance our process.

Financial Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Redwood City, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

It is a huge tell of management when they promise you employment, but back out last minute. After the 3rd interview, they told me "we are going to hire you." I waited weeks after weeks before they tried to set me up for a 4th interview I went there and gained no substance.

It took them a couple more weeks to give me a background check. After months and months of interviews, and no transparency of the process, I got nothing in return.
     I was ready to learn, and get into this business but they shut me down. "Due to high expenses we are not able to hire you"

I went through 4 interviews. One less than my counterpart that got hired instead. I passed by the Dumbarton bridge which is $5 per each commute only for 5 minute interview by mangers Ryan and Jeremy.

To think I would would be excited to work here only to be spit in the face at the end.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me something about our CEO?

Tell me about yourself   Answer Question

Mar 26, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition & Diversity

Thank you for your review. I’m sorry to hear about your experience. At Penn Mutual, we believe in the power of relationships and strive to provide a positive candidate experience. I appreciate your candid and valuable feedback as we continue to enhance our talent acquisition process.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Horsham, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

A series of alarming events -

1) First phone round was supposed to be introductory and turned into a technical interview (09/7/2017) for 1-hour.
    2) They told me they liked me and wanted me to come in for a face to face interview but the recruiting company (MISSION STAFF) indicated it had to be the next day (09/08/2017). All of this within less than 24-hrs.
    3) I refused because I needed more time. Mission Staff indicated that it was not a technical interview after speaking with Penn Mutual and urged me to come in. I was told it would be to better understand the people and work environment since I was already screened on the phone.
    4) I arrived for my interview and what was supposed to be 1 hr FACE TO FACE, turned out to be a 2 hr technical interview. I am more than comfortable with taking technical interviews which I am permitted to prepare for (I have one with Amazon and Facebook next month).
    5) I informed the people interviewing me that it was less than 24 hours and I was told that my technical interview had been done on the phone.
    6) Had I known it was a technical interview, I would have asked for the weekend to prepare.

I was pushed to come to the interview which I was assured would not be technical else I would ask for more time given they wanted me to come in less than 24hrs.

Poor Communication and deceptive practices at Penn Mutual and Mission Staff. I was very disheartened by their interview process and moreover I was told during the interview that every thing should be on your fingertips without any prep (this was a surprise interview).

I am a hard working woman who graduated from top tier school and have on site interviews at Amazon and Facebook who provided me weeks to prepare for my interview. If this is any indication how they treat people, you should think twice about applying here.

Audit Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Horsham, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

Met with six people among different departments (Audit, Risk, HR). The process took about 3 hours total. A lot of questions about teamwork. They really value corporate culture and the fit with that culture.

Interview Questions

• Everyone asked a question about your experience working in a team.   Answer Question

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Horsham, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Penn Mutual (Horsham, PA) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview was immediately about technical questions. No bother in getting to know me as a person. The questions were either very specific or extremely vague leading to either no knowledge of the topic or no way of answering it directly.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I got the interview thru a recruiter. After initial phone screening they set up a face to face interview with at least 4 developers. It was a long process, almost 4 hours in a conference room with senior develops who grill you with questions. At the end you will meet the CTO and he will ask you certain questions.

Interview Questions

• On the spot diagram something and explain it in detail. They will question you on everything.   Answer Question