Pentair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 25, 2017

2.7

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Pentair (Cleveland, OH) in December 2016.

Interview

Process was drawn out over 7 months. There was a bait-and-switch between the initial role and another similar role, but I decided to feel it out. I took hour long phone calls with 4-5 separate people within the department, and all went well. The in-person interview required me to complete a technical presentation of their product, and I took a vacation day to fly in. My flights were cancelled due to a winter storm, and I could not reschedule within the week leading up to Christmas. I woke up to an email saying I had been pulled from consideration due to my lack of interest in a very condescending way. Overall, the process was a joke. They continually asked for me to take time from my current job, continued to contact me on my work phone after repeated requests to use my personal phone, and after all of the time invested on my end, used a condescending email to send me on my way. If you are considering interviewing and see this pattern, I'd suggest moving on.

Interview Questions

• Most were in regards to personality, motivators, and past experience. Nothing too difficult if you have experience in interviews.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pentair (Cleveland, OH).

Interview

This was a very misleading process. Like another reviewer on here, I went through about 7 interviews to get an abrupt "nevermind" email and then a very vague and condescending response citing reasons said to be no big deal during the first wave of interviews. If these were issues then, it would have been nice to not waste my time and PTO to come in for a half day long session where the supposed strikes against me weren't even really discussed. The manager also came off as totally understanding and supportive, making the process seem very disingenuous. Maybe save taking people out to lunch for when you've after given a real offer?

Summer Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Pentair (Redwood City, CA).

Interview

I initially got a call from the engineering department of Pentair which went well since I got a chance for a 1:1 session with the engineering department. the onsite interview went pretty well and they were understanding and knowledgeable. It last for about an hour and I think I was comfortable to talk and converse with them.

Interview Questions

• What past projects mostly stood out to you?
      Technical questions were asked about my background. Be prepared to explain in detail about it.

Lean Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Pentair.

Interview

Phone screen then invited in for a in person interview. The "hiring manager" was clearly not a people person and the interview was a bore. But I wasn't expecting much when "graduated college, did leadership program" was how the person got to where they were at, instead of earning their position through the natural progression of entry level job and promotions. All too common and explains the many failures within this industry. I have years of manufacturing production experience + floor leadership and know how a shop floor works, something these spoonfed "leadership program" graduates would never understand, so why put them in positions where they lead the people who know better?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Pentair?   1 Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Pentair in October 2016.

Interview

A got a LinkedIn InMail from a recruiter asking if I or anyone I knew would be interested in a marketing manager position. I asked the recruiter for the job description. After looking at the description, I told the recruiter I would like to apply and emailed my resume. The recruiter set up a phone interview with my would-be manager/director for the following week.

I really enjoyed my first phone interview. It lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. It was very tactical. I discussed a lot of digital marketing tactics and tools with the director. We seemed to think very much alike and at the end of the interview he even asked me if to save two days on my calendar the following week for a possible in-person interview at their headquarters. I said, "Sure thing," and then didn't hear anything for two days.

Since I didn't hear anything, I reached to the recruiter, telling him the director told me to save two days for a potential in-person interview. The recruiter said I needed to do a conference call with two other team members (both managers). We set up a time. A day or so before the conference call, the recruiter said that I'd need to talk to one manager one day and the other the next. I agreed.

My phone interview with the first manager/team member was OK. It took a little over an hour. The individual seemed more concerned with going over my resume and asking me really general questions. In fact, they didn't seem sure what to ask me, so they kept asking me if I had any questions for them.

The next day I got ready for my third phone interview. I jumped on the conference line and kept waiting for the other manager to join. After three minutes I thought, "Where is this guy?" Almost as soon as that thought crossed my mind, I saw I had an email from the recruiter. It said: "Sorry for the short notice but we are cancelling your additional interviews for this position. We are going to pursue other candidates who we feel more closely match the position requirements."

So, I never even got to talk to this third individual. I found it to be quite unprofessional to have me wait on a conference line, only to cancel my interview after it should have already started.

If I had to rate my experience based on my initial interaction with the recruiter and the first phone interview, I would have said it was positive (regardless of whether I got the offer), but based on how generic the second phone interview was and the fact that I didn't even get the chance to talk to this third person, I would say it was negative and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• Do you use personas where you currently work?
      How would you design a campaign to generate leads?
      What is pixeling and how would you apply pixeling to promote Pentair products/services?
      Have you successfully monitored the competition and what were your recommended counter measures?

Automation Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Solon, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Pentair (Solon, OH) in October 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with talent acquisition manager, phone interview with hiring manager, in person interview with operations manager, HR manager. Excellent feedback at this point, then I was given a technical project to complete in a week and present to a panel. I did not have pricing from vendors and asked for additional time. They wanted me to present without pricing, I questioned the reasoning behind doing that and then the process was ended. I suspect they were just looking for free technical help.

Interview Questions

• Standard background and experience questions.   1 Answer

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Pentair (White Bear Lake, Ramsey, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me through LinkedIn. Had initial phone screening with HR. I was later contacted to schedule a phone interview with the engineering manager. The engineering manager was straight and to the point. I did not get a positive response when I answered the phone in a friendly tone. That definitely caught me off guard. Lmao. I didn't get a call back but it was a great learning experience nonetheless. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume (Make sure you have a good flow when explaining your experiences). What projects were you involved in and what were your contributions? (Be very specific with your responses)   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Pentair (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2016.

Interview

Very good experience. Started with an on campus interview which lead to a on site interview. Both were great and enjoyable. Got to meet with 2 individuals from Pentair. They were very helpful in gaining a better understanding of the company, the culture and the role. I felt very comfortable walking out of the interview that I knew exactly what I was signing up for.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Pentair (Cleveland, OH) in August 2016.

Interview

The process took a month and after 6 interviews later they tell you no thanks. They gave no feedback and were short about their reasons. The hiring manager said he wished I had more background I told them in the beginning of my process and just couldn't get past it. Was not happy that it took him 6 times to make up his mind.

Interview Questions

• How long were you in the position at your last employer, give me an example on how you dealed with a bad employee.   Answer Question

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sanford, NC

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Pentair (Sanford, NC).

Interview

Process took a couple months, two rounds of phone interviews with a half day on site interview.

Everyone was easy to speak with and the conversations all felt positive.

1. Hr phone screen
    2. Hiring manager phone screen
    3. On site

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background
      Give me a situation where you immediately regretted a decision.
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiated