Postmates Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Postmates

2.0

1. Featured Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Postmates (San Francisco, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

The best onsite experience I've ever had - from the recruiters, engineers to the engineer manager. It was clear the recruiter had paid a lot of attention to the entire process and iterated on making it as good as possible. All the technical problems were interesting because they were rooted in actual problems, most of which Postmates engineers have encountered. It was challenging, but also educational. Anything I did not fully understand, the interviewing engineer patiently explained. It was clear the engineering culture has improved a lot compared to previous reviews (or at least this team is an anomaly).

Manager reached out on LinkedIn (Support team).

Interview Questions

• Data Structures & Algs problems rooted in problems that Postmates engineers have faced. Bug Bash, Front-end problem, API problem, System Design. Won't go into specifics because of NDA   Answer Question
    • Cultural questions about customer-obsession, impact of my work, and how I prioritize what to work on.   1 Answer

Analytics Interview

Interview

Incompetent recruiter. Had a successful take home submission and phone screening with the hiring manager. Next step was to be an onsite. Sr. Recruiter (who missed our initial call by letting it fall through the cracks) said that she would schedule a virtual onsite. Never happened, so I sent an email which she never answered.

A month later she sends an email saying that things were put on hold but that they are excited to schedule the onsite and that she'd get an assistant to reach out. Never happened.

Another month goes by and she calls me out of the blue and says that she apologizes since she was on PTO but that her assistant would reach out and schedule. Never happened.

I did see a new job posting for the role I interviewed for each time she reached out, which leads me to believe that this recruiter was being selective about who got the onsite scheduled - but this is just my opinion and observation of what happened. I just felt bad for the hiring manager, since we did get a long and I was genuinely excited about the opportunity.

All in all - I'd say given my experience - don't waste your time if this recruiter is any reflection of the culture and people at Postmates.

Interview Questions

• Take home. Behaviorial and SQL with the hiring manager.   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Interview

They were nice people. The interview process was straight forward and simple. Seems like a great company to work for. The benefits were good and everyone I interviewed with was nice.

Solutions Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Postmates in August 2020.

Interview

Waste of time, they make you do a take home assessment, despite passing all the cases they send you a reject. Dont waste your time with these guys.

Interview Questions

• Take home assessment using the postmates api and build an app   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Postmates in August 2020.

Interview

Three out of the four rounds were normal. The first round was an algorithm question, it was more of a "practical" type of question than some leetcode question. The seconds was a system design question which was like any system design question vague so nothing new there. Third was exec chat which felt unnecessary. The fourth and last one was another algorithm question. The guy had no interest in being in this interview. He couldn't clearly ask what it was he wanted and he was getting frustrated when I wasn't understanding his asks. "Let's write some pseudo code here" Then five minutes left in the interview "This is fine but I don't want pseudo code, please write functioning code here". Mind you he still hasn't told me what the input was. This last round was one of the top two worst interview experience I've ever had. It really put me off to the company.

On the bright side, The recruiters were quick and friendly.

Interview Questions

• 1. Algorithm: kind of a practical coding exercise.
      2. System: like the others
      3. Executive: what was the point of this?
      4. Algorithm :   Answer Question

Postmates Response

Aug 28, 2020 – Director, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your honesty and candor. While we continue to strive for excellence this feedback does help put things into perspective as we improve the interview experience. I apologize for the mishap and will use this valuable feedback as a learning experience for our interview teams in the future.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Postmates (San Francisco, CA) in August 2020.

Interview

I applied online with a response to complete a case study in order to move forward. I found that odd as most companies typically start with a phone screening to make sure expectations about the role and compensation are aligned.

After completing the case study, I was invited to a phone screening with a recruiter. This was followed by an interview with a team lead to discuss the case study, complete a SQL assessment, and answer some behavioral questions.

The following week, the recruiter emailed back thanking me for my time and letting me know they were moving forward with other candidates. I understand companies don't typically give feedback, but I think it would have been appropriate here given the time invested.

Overall, I felt like the process was a bit disrespectful to my time. Based on other reviews, I'm not the only one to have that experience.

My advice to Postmates: Respect your candidates’ time. Start with a phone screening and consider providing feedback if you’re going to ask them to invest multiple hours.

Interview Questions

• Case Study (~4hrs)
      SQL quiz in Code Signal
      Standard behavioral questions   Answer Question

Employee Relations Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Postmates in August 2020.

Interview

My candidate experience at Postmates was exceptional; so much so that it has since made every other (although normal/ok) experience feel less-than. The recruiter was incredibly communicative from start-finish, she followed up on next steps within hours of each conversation. She thoroughly prepped me for the on-site interviews and ensured I was comfortable throughout the process. I was ultimately not selected for the role; however, she made it a point to let me know over the phone and gave feedback as to why. From application to final decision, it only took ONE WEEK. Every company should run their TA teams/treat candidates the way Postmates does. It was immensely respectful and quite indicative of their culture and how they value people throughout their business.

Interview Questions

• Largely behavioral based; there was also a case study. Very conversational.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

I applied online to the Business Analyst opening at Postmates' San Francisco office. I heard back after 2 weeks and was scheduled for an introductory phone call with a human resources representative.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever had any experience with last mile delivery?   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Postmates (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

HR had a well-defined process. Had an initial screening meeting with the recruiter and them a call with the hiring Director. After that initial step, meetings video meetings were set-up with other cross-functional employees. Final step was an in-person interview and tour of the SF office.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Postmates?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Postmates (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2020.

Interview

They send you an email to do a coding test on Codesignal. The problem is they want to video and audio record you the entire time. I'd be fine if they just wanted to screen record. Like cool, you wanna make sure I don't cheat or w/e. Cool. But now you're introducing bias into the mix. Now I gotta worry about smiling and all that jazz, instead of coding. Yes, because they will see it. Yes, they will judge you. It's human nature to subconsciously judge. It just throws into the mix all other sorts of biases. Obviously you'll have to meet in person or video conference at some point, but it should be after a coding challenge not before it. You're allowing subconscious bias to play a role now, instead of just the code. As a minority in tech, I'm always conscious of it. It's why I "whiten" my resume and leave off my last name. Considering how "#woke" they portray themselves (LGBT pride galore for example), you would think this would come to mind. But whatever, I declined the interview based on this alone. I don't buy into the #woke crowd, personally, and I'm not a fan of virtue signaling, but I understand realities. Plus they are getting bought out by Uber anyway, and their record is horrendous when it comes to this stuff. Later.

Interview Questions

Postmates Response

Jul 15, 2020 – VP, Talent

Thank you for your feedback and for your interest in Postmates. We are sorry to hear that your experience was not a positive one. With that said, I want to be sure to point out a few things that are concerning to me in regards to what you described as it is not accurate. We use a tool for all of our engineering interviews called CodeSignal. We decided as an organization to use this assessment as the first step in our process and remove the initial face to face interview for the purpose of removing bias' in the process. Our goal is to assess our candidates based on their skills and technical aptitude initially. With that said, we have every single applicant enter this first stage of the process automatically. What this does is takes out the bias that we humans tend to have such as: what school you went to, what companies you have worked for, how long you have been in the role you are applying to, etc. By doing it this way, we will not miss some great hires who have solid skills but maybe not the fancy college, startup logos, or length of experience that most companies are looking for in engineering talent. Instead, we want to know that you are honest and you can code first. From there, we continue the process. In regards to bias' on the A/V front, we at Postmates do not have the ability to look at or hear anything that is being recorded during this assessment. The virtually proctored session is reviewed by CodeSignal only once the assessment is completed and it is used objectively to determine whether any of the assessment rules have been broken (e.g. are there others present? Did the candidate purposely switch off their camera at a certain point?). Scores are then automatically calculated by the system, and we cannot manually deduct points under any circumstance, so there are no opportunities for the Codesignal certification team to use subjective data to determine whether a candidate passes the test or not. I hope this adds more context to our process so you can understand whether or not this is still an opportunity you are interested in.

Thanks,
    Pete Lawson - VP, Talent

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Postmates (San Francisco, CA) in July 2020.

Interview

I enjoyed the whole interview process, although I probably failed the final round for my dream job.
    The whole recruiting and interview process is warm with respect to candidates. They actually read your take home data challenge carefully and give speed feedback for each round. I receive the next round interview schedule within 2 days of previous rounds.
    Overall, I had a great experience interviewing at Postmates. One thing I missed is I didn't get the opportunity to present my data challenge, that could change something.
    Uh, I did my best but, yeah, it's life.

Interview Questions

• First Round: Take home data challenge.
      Second Round: behavioral, mostly about explanation on the Company and position.
      Third round & Final round including talking with the team, the director, technical interviews.

A comprehensive interview including take home data challenge, behavior, business case studies, analytical case studies, etc.   2 Answers