Postmates Reviews | Glassdoor

Postmates Co-Founder & CEO Bastian Lehmann
Bastian Lehmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "When driving for Postmates there will be a lot of wear and tear on your car as well as there being lots of different unknown interactions with people" (in 56 reviews)

• "bad customer service pay went down over the years" (in 54 reviews)

"I have loved working here everyday"

I have been working at Postmates full-time

Pros

- management is incredibly responsive to feedbacks and the company is always changing from the better
    - strong focus on individual growth for employees
    - strong collaboration across teams in a politics-free work environment. so you get things done pretty fast
    - it is a great place for females to start their careers as the company is dedicated to increasing diversity and management is incredibly supportive

Cons

- catering food is pretty bad
    - office space is getting too crammed as the company grows

2. "Courier"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates (Less than a year)

Pros

Set own schedule at this job

Cons

Bad pay at this job

3. "Good Money - App needs tweaking"

Current Employee - Courier in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Courier in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Postmates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flex time, great tips, fast deliveries, work late
    can see destination before accepting the pick up.

Cons

not getting paid for closed merchants, being sent to a place that doesn't exist, no fleet live support. have to drive to location even if it's close - just to contact customer and/or cancel order. still waiting for my shirt

Advice to Management

I pray for a button that will prohibit certain merchants from popping up on my app. La Victoria Taqueria (every location) is too time consuming, the crew is super rude and I always ALWAYS regret taking those "pick ups" - it's like making $5.50 per hour. Your customers are mad, and I feel abused just placing the order. Please consider and BAN button.

"Merchant Team is the best team"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement
    Fast paced, all roles wear multiple hats. No such thing as 'that's not in my job description' - opportunity for professional growth

Cons

Few women in leadership roles
    Poor performance and compensation review processes
    Constant feeling like you're going to be fired (even after 3 years) - exemplary of the company culture which is rooted in the CEO's actions

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

I worked at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

•Office dogs are cute and friendly.

Cons

•Turnover incredibly high. Postmates bleeding staff monthly due to ongoing unresolved internal issues.

•Complete lack of review. Never had a single 1:1 or received a performance review. Work and processes a complete mess, but team lead did little to nothing to stiffen review or control process.

•No upward mobility. Removed the position above me. Headcount slated for another person in my same role, which means no position to grow into. Too top heavy team with no room for promotion even though the team said they wanted to promote from within. This was completely untrue.

•Hiring Plan completely wrong. Contractors with no education or background in my department field hired were hired and left to their own devices doing very little work until termination. This took months for each.

•Every time I suggested ways to improve processes, team leadership shot down suggestions.

•Work planning for IPO when basic foundational work not completed.

•Double standard with WFH. Team lead gone for 2 weeks for multiple months WFH, but asked me to book PTO when I had appointments.

•Daily stress from completely disorganized process and team lead demanded unrealistic deadlines over and over.

•Complained to HR and nothing was done.

•My Manager changed 4 times. Current manager only checked in while I was leaving team. No bandwidth to manage.

•Stingy on PTO, you get 15 days total.

Advice to Management

Get your team leadership in order. 6 people left on my team in 18 months because of the team lead, and 2 went into arbitration with this same person, and yet HR and the company did nothing to restructure leadership.

Have a better hiring plan for your team leaders. Take your time and do not hire simply to get heads in. This strategy has not worked and will continue not to work. Turnover at any pace ruins a company, but at this rate Postmates is in rapid decline further than its already terrible levels.

"Review"

Pros

I have no reason to lie and tell folks to work here

Cons

Waste of gas and time , miscalculating my wait time and not informing customers of actually tumes.

Advice to Management

Replace management, resign if you are in management.

"Not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay is ok-ish
    Has strong engineers
    Most non-managers/leads are very friendly and helpful

Cons

Turnover rate is high. More than half of the employees you see in the pic on the career page or here were gone already. Fails to keep talent.
    CEO is the core problem on the company. lack of vision and making decision poorly based on intuition. Also very emotional. Told people about transparency but never done that in the company. Lack of long term vision.
    very little room to grow careers, as the company is not growing.
    Pace is fast but disorganized, lots of tech debts, many last minute work and could lead to working overtime/weekends.

Advice to Management

Need some changes on the leadership side. But it might be too late as the company is unable to attract good talents nowadays.

"Not a great place"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Postmates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool, friendly staff; low key

Cons

No job security, customers can be entitled

"A nightmare"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Company is flexible about remote work
    - A lot of opportunity to get experience in a broad variety of areas, but that's mostly due to the fact that we're constantly understaffed due to the rate of turnover. Three people in my department have quit in the last week.

Cons

- Tech bro culture. I've seen a colleague get harassed. I've seen people drag each other's work in the all-company slack channel.
    - You can't work here if you have a life outside of work, and especially if you have kids. One team currently has 10am meetings every Saturday and Sunday & it's not uncommon to get urgent requests at 9pm on weeknights.
    - I echo the sentiments of the person who wrote before me "don't work here if you have a moral compass"

Advice to Management

You have to get rid of Bastian. He's not only a public relations liability, but his continued presence is destroying company culture. After seeing it from the inside, I'm shocked this place is still functioning.

"Not a positive working environment"

I have been working at Postmates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Interesting problem space operating at massive scale
    - Decent compensation and benefits

Cons

- The CEO, Bastian, can be very cruel and demeaning to his employees. He openly berates people and instills a culture of fear. He has made multiple people break down at the workplace over the years.
    - The CEO frequently makes decisions on based on his emotional impulses, and at a whim can destroy entire teams' plans and schedules to work on pet issues without knowing the data or the impact. It doesn't help that he's surrounded by yes-men who enable and replicate these impulses and childish behaviors.
    - The turnover is very high. People come and go without mention. Entire teams have been let go without any communication or explanation. People are seen as expendable, especially in customer support and operations roles. This also leads to a lot of wasted time hiring new candidates and disrupting important work.

Advice to Management

- Bring in an experienced leader that knows how to behave for a company of this size
    - Overhaul the culture if you want to retain good people
    - Don't treat your people like crap

Showing 177 of 1,059 reviews