Postmates Reviews | Glassdoor

Postmates Co-Founder & CEO Bastian Lehmann
Bastian Lehmann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "When driving for Postmates there will be a lot of wear and tear on your car as well as there being lots of different unknown interactions with people" (in 60 reviews)

• "bad customer service pay went down over the years" (in 57 reviews)

1. "A Community Oriented Workplace Valuing Individual Initiative and Cross Team Collaboration"

Former Employee - Senior Strategic Content Associate in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Strategic Content Associate in Nashville, TN

I worked at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Postmates does a wonderful job of encouraging the success and upward mobility of employees. Through various initiatives like Civic Labs and ongoing uptrainings, Postmates gives back both to the communities in which it is active and to its individual employees vis-a-vis professional development workshops. Moreover, Postmates is just an all around great group of folks who are incredibly talented and self-motivated. I found my role on the Content team very rewarding.

Cons

Postmates is a startup, and like all startups, certain processes and procedures are not fully cemented. In practice, this means that workflows can sometimes be confusing, but at the same time, it provides an opportunity to participate in the creation of new, improved processes. Further more, Postmates can be quite demanding, to the extent that services like Postmates are incredibly competitive with one another. There is certainly no room at Postmates for someone who isn't willing or able to bring 110% to work everyday. Despite the demanding culture, however, there is a strong emphasis placed on work/life balance and, at least with the Merchant Team, leadership is committed to each employees' personal well-being and achievement.

"Technical Support"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Postmates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Choose your own schedule, occasional bonus’

Cons

Poor Support quality, poor rating system, out of date support email address

Advice to Management

Deliver for two weeks, all the problems become rapidly apparent.

"Account Executive"

I worked at Postmates full-time

Pros

This company has a positive work environment

Cons

It's great there were no cons

4. "What you make of it..."

I have been working at Postmates full-time

Pros

Postmates was a fun and explosive place to grow, but it is what you make of it. You can learn a lot, and have the opportunity to contribute, but it can be challenging and rewarding to work remotely.

Cons

The entire operations team was let go a few months after I left the company, and they helped build the organization into what it is today. Luckily, I was able to make lots of friends, and understand this is the cost of doing business for a tech start-up that wants to be like Uber.

Advice to Management

N/A

5. "Good Sales Position"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Postmates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture in the office, members of all teams support each other. Easy enough product to sell. Management day-to-day is helpful and available when needed.

Cons

Communication between the two offices could be better. Going through the growing pains of a young company.

"I fell for the Instagram hype"

I have been working at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Publicly “cool” and “Instagram worthy” brand
    Most of the buyer jobs are successfully completed
    Good SaaS - a top competitor in the space

Cons

No transparency
    Inexperienced managers
    No accountability
    Terrible communication
    It’s ultimately a tough environment to excel in
    Limited resources

Advice to Management

Build strong teams that are aligned in their goals and work together. Define goals and be transparent. Hire right (more experienced leaders please), provide the teams the tools they need and get out of their way.

"Merchant Team is the best team"

Former Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - National Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Postmates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement
    Fast paced, all roles wear multiple hats. No such thing as 'that's not in my job description' - opportunity for professional growth

Cons

Few women in leadership roles
    Poor performance and compensation review processes
    Constant feeling like you're going to be fired (even after 3 years) - exemplary of the company culture which is rooted in the CEO's actions

"DO NOT WORK HERE"

I worked at Postmates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

•Office dogs are cute and friendly.

Cons

•Turnover incredibly high. Postmates bleeding staff monthly due to ongoing unresolved internal issues.

•Complete lack of review. Never had a single 1:1 or received a performance review. Work and processes a complete mess, but team lead did little to nothing to stiffen review or control process.

•No upward mobility. Removed the position above me. Headcount slated for another person in my same role, which means no position to grow into. Too top heavy team with no room for promotion even though the team said they wanted to promote from within. This was completely untrue.

•Hiring Plan completely wrong. Contractors with no education or background in my department field hired were hired and left to their own devices doing very little work until termination. This took months for each.

•Every time I suggested ways to improve processes, team leadership shot down suggestions.

•Work planning for IPO when basic foundational work not completed.

•Double standard with WFH. Team lead gone for 2 weeks for multiple months WFH, but asked me to book PTO when I had appointments.

•Daily stress from completely disorganized process and team lead demanded unrealistic deadlines over and over.

•Complained to HR and nothing was done.

•My Manager changed 4 times. Current manager only checked in while I was leaving team. No bandwidth to manage.

•Stingy on PTO, you get 15 days total.

Advice to Management

Get your team leadership in order. 6 people left on my team in 18 months because of the team lead, and 2 went into arbitration with this same person, and yet HR and the company did nothing to restructure leadership.

Have a better hiring plan for your team leaders. Take your time and do not hire simply to get heads in. This strategy has not worked and will continue not to work. Turnover at any pace ruins a company, but at this rate Postmates is in rapid decline further than its already terrible levels.

"Not a good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Postmates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Base pay is ok-ish
    Has strong engineers
    Most non-managers/leads are very friendly and helpful

Cons

Turnover rate is high. More than half of the employees you see in the pic on the career page or here were gone already. Fails to keep talent.
    CEO is the core problem on the company. lack of vision and making decision poorly based on intuition. Also very emotional. Told people about transparency but never done that in the company. Lack of long term vision.
    very little room to grow careers, as the company is not growing.
    Pace is fast but disorganized, lots of tech debts, many last minute work and could lead to working overtime/weekends.

Advice to Management

Need some changes on the leadership side. But it might be too late as the company is unable to attract good talents nowadays.

"Not a great place"

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Postmates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool, friendly staff; low key

Cons

No job security, customers can be entitled

Showing 180 of 1,130 reviews