Propeller Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.4

1. Featured Interview

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR) in March 2019.

Interview

From start to finish, I was blown away by Propeller’s interview, offer, and onboarding processes. Every step of the way I was told exactly what I could expect going forward, provided a timeline, and invited to ask questions. The structure and timeline provided were adhered to, everyone was very friendly and professional, and I felt confident that the decision made at the end of such an involved process would be well-informed and the right one for both parties.

As others have mentioned, there were four interviews of increasing difficulty/complexity, culminating in a 3-hour business case session. My best advice to applicants is to go into it with an open mind and approach it as a learning opportunity in itself. All of the Propellerites I have encountered are extremely open and encouraging, and I found the process exciting, and actually, fun (believe me I know how crazy that sounds)!

Interview Questions

• Describe your approach to managing a project implementing a new software program across an organization.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Propeller.

Interview

First interview was a phone screen with mostly top-level type questions (easy), very conversational and positive.
    Second interview was in person at a coffee shop and seemed mostly positive. However, presented with an off-the-wall case study and probably struck out on this question. Asked for feedback on session and received none. Interviewer said corporate contact would be in touch with next steps. After a week of silence, attempted to contact the recruiter who never responded. Rude.

Interview Questions

Propeller Response

Aug 3, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking to improve and I was very sorry to hear that you did not receive a response, especially since it is my job to get back to candidates and ensure... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR) in July 2015.

Interview

The first three interviews were great and I left each feeling excited while the fourth and final interview felt like it was for a different job and tainted the entire experience.

There were four rounds of interviews including a phone screen, in-person technical interview, in-person culture fit interview, and finally an in-person business case review/presentation. The first three interviews were informal meetings at coffee shops focusing on my experience and how it related to the work done at Propeller. They were each about an hour long. During the technical and culture fit interviews I was asked to problem solve for a mini-case, again it was very informal and the goal was for the interviewer to understand how I process my thoughts and problem solve. Much of the conversations centered around relationship management, process, organization, and understanding the human element of consulting.

The business case interview was formal and lasted about 2.5 hours in their office. After the HR rep welcomed me and reviewed the process for the interview I had roughly 1.5 hours to review the case and white-board a presentation of recommendations. I presented to a panel which included one of the principals and a director who role played as the client. My recommendations focused mainly on the objectives and relationship management. As the presentation became a discussion it became clear I hadn't included ample case analysis, specifically hard timelines, budget line items, and success metrics.

As a result of the case review, I didn't receive an offer. Upon reflection, I believe there was a misalignment of expectations on my end and Propeller's around the position. In each preceding interview, the focus had been on my experience as a workflow and service delivery manager. Managing day-to-day operations, relationship management, and leading process improvements. I had been told up to that point that my my skills were transferable. The final case review was heavy on analytic and project management skills. They were looking for someone with hard PM skills. If this was their intent all along then it should have been made clear from the beginning of the interview process not left to the very end.

From those I interviewed with, I understood the company to be one that seeks talent in the earlier stages of their careers and is supportive of their development. I got the impression from the fourth interview that they were looking for a seasoned PM, which I never claimed to be.

Interview Questions

Propeller Response

Aug 3, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate your honesty. We strive to make every stage of the process clear but there is always room for improvement. I do wish you the best in your future endeavors... More

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR).

Interview

Several interviews with different people that culminated in a business case. I got to meet more Propeller people, which was great so I could make sure it was really where I wanted to be. It was a bit longer than I'd have liked, but in the end it worked out. And it makes sense for this level of position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your personal story.   1 Answer

Aug 3, 2015 – Recruiter

We appreciate your feedback and thank you for your time! It is always so helpful to get real insight into candidate's experiences with our recruiting process.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Propeller.

Interview

Interview process consisted of the usual multi-step interview process (phone screening, technical interview, cultural fit, business case) and culminated with in-person business case, as per consulting industry standard practices. Met a lot of great people, but they were looking for specific answers to pointed questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions focused on my overall experience managing a fully realized project, particularly managing the budget/finances.   1 Answer

Aug 3, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your feedback and for spending time with our firm!

Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR) in October 2013.

Interview

The interview process was fairly long, but professional. There were four interviews total, increasing in intensity. The first was essentially an informal meet and greet that seemed like a screen for red-flags. After that, there were two other interviews and then a case study which was presented to a panel.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller.

Interview

It was really focused on helping me evaluate the firm and for them to evaluate me to see if I fit the culture and skill sets they needed. Many adjectives to describe the hiring and interview process: thorough, efficient, rigorous, friendly, challenging, and, if you can believe it - fun.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any gotcha-type questions. The interviews were by and large conversations. "Tell me about a time you..." At one point, I was asked what part of a problem I was least comfortable with, then I was asked about how I would approach that area.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Propeller.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews starting with an initial phone screen, 2 rounds face to face interviews then a separate case study presenting a solution to Propeller employees acting as if they are the client.

Interview Questions

• Several tough questions during the business case, really trying to see how you handle opposing opinions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Propeller (Portland, OR) in February 2017.

Interview

A total of four interviews, and you have to be invited to each subsequent interview. The first is the basic phone screening interview; we used this time to talk briefly about my experience, a little about who I was, and my interest in Propeller. The second was a meeting in a coffee shop and during this meeting we talked about my experience in depth and did a very high level case scenario. The third interview took place at their offices and we spoke about teams and again about my experience in the context of mini hypothetical case situations. I had an excellent experience in all three, enjoyed each of the women with whom I spoke, and felt excited to move forward each time.

The final interview was the business case interview, which lasted for a total of 2.5 hours. The "case" was an incredibly ambiguous situation in which a client wanted to shift pricing models, and I was to prepare content for our initial meeting (there were so many restrictions for this particular interview that would rarely be the case in a real life interaction with new clients). What was most disappointing about the last interview was that lack of time set aside for questions at the end of the presentation. The time we did have was focused on questions I had about the company, and given that I had already been in three interviews, the vast majority had already been answered several times over. If the case is going to be run by individuals who have had no prior experience discussing my experience and getting a sense of who I am and my areas of expertise (perhaps running one of the earlier interviews), then there needs to be time for questions of the interviewee. They were willing to stay past the allotted interview time if I had more questions for them, but I was unable to do that. The implication was that they would discuss the case interview, review notes from the prior three interviews, and make their decision based on the aggregation of that information.

I ultimately was not offered the job, which given my experience at the last interview, was not entirely unexpected. I was told I would be informed within the week about their decision, but I had to reach out after two weeks to ask (even though at that point you know what the answer will be). I was offered feedback, sent an email requesting that feedback, and have not heard anything since.

**Please note that the length of the interview process (3 months, listed below) for me is a reflection of my schedule, not theirs.

Interview Questions

• (During the third interview). How do you handle situations in which you feel like you have no idea what to do?   Answer Question

Change Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Propeller in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process consists of 4 interviews. The first two with current consultants, the third with a member of leadership, and the fourth is an on-site case study. Because I was an out of state candidate, the first 3 were conducted via telephone.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you collected/used data to craft a business strategy or plan.   1 Answer

Change Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Propeller (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Interview process consisted of a phone screen with the recruiter (he's awesome and a great communicator!) followed by 2 in person interviews with consultants, 1 phone interview and a final round in the Portland office for a case interview.

Interview Questions

• I was given a case to scope and devise a project and change management plan. They wish to keep the exact ask confidential for good reason! The phone and in person 1:1s were very background focused. Perhaps a smaller case would help drive to an answer sooner and ensure candidates think they way they would like them to.   Answer Question