RAND Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RAND Interview Questions

Interviews at RAND

Contracts Administrator Interview

Interview

First contacted by a phone interviewer. Basic questions; describe your past experience, why are you the best candidate for this position? etc. I then received an e mail about a day later and invited me back for an in-person interview. I first met with a human resources representative, Again, same basic questions and she also went over the benefits and the rest of the interview process. Then meet with the Associate Director of Contracts. More detailed questions, not really about my experience or skills but more scenario based. Next people I met with were to co-workers, who I would be working directly with. One person was leaving to another position in the company and the other was taking her position. So, I imagined that I would be filling the open position. More of a friendly interview, some of my favorite hobbies and my negotiation skills and computer skills. Last person I met with was the Director of Contracts. The shortest interview of them all and very similar to the interview with the Associate Director. They informed me that they had another week of interviews left but I would definitely be contacted if I was offered the job or that they were no longer pursuing my candidacy. I didn't receive any correspondence for 3 weeks and even sent a follow up with the Associate Director. I then received a phone call from a human resource rep and she said that they were no longer pursuing my candidacy. They even mentioned that they didn't hire any candidates from the interviews and were going to do another round of interviews which I wouldn't be invited back to.

Interview Questions

• Most of the unexpected questions came from the other contract administrators, which they had mentioned the found off the internet. One example is, What is your idealistic job and what is your realistic job?   Answer Question

Policy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at RAND in January 2012.

Interview

Long, repetitive, tiring. Spent a whole day in interviews, then had to fly (that day) to CA to do another day of interviews and a presentation. The presentation had to be on "my own work", but I was coming from another company, so it is very hard to figure out what to present that wouldn't be proprietary.

Interview Questions

• Describe your technical skills   1 Answer

Negotiation

Took a long time. Details were communicated to employees, who then discussed my negotiations with me after starting the job.

3. Create your profile to get personalized information

Policy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Washington, DC) in February 2017.

Interview

I first went through a screening interview, after having submitted a writing sample and cover letter. After that I had a full-day interview scheduled with 6 researchers. At that point, it was more so me pitching my self to them and seeing how I could support their efforts.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my research interests mainly and whether I was able to deal with the coverage/internal market system   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at RAND (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I had two phone interviews - one with the associate director of research programming and one with the director. Each lasted half an hour. First they asked me questions about my experience with data analysis and then I was given the opportunity to answer questions. The first interview was very rapid fire and I was required to stay on my toes and not be flustered. The second interview also kept me on my toes but was more challenging - even after every question I asked the interviewer to find out about the company, the director would end with a "We're looking for a person that works very efficiently - does this sound like the right type of environment for you?". It seemed as if they were waiting for me to falter and say no. They turned me down because they wanted someone with more experience.

Interview Questions

• 1. Describe your statistical analysis experience.
      2. Would you be a good team player?
      3. RAND is a fast paced environment in which acquisition of new skills constantly is a must. Would you be a good candidate to work in this type of an environment.

They also asked for a sample of SAS code that I had created.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Interview

2 weeks after online application, I had a 45~60 min phone interview with three statisticians. At first, they explained me first about how the phone interview will go on and then introduced themselves. Then, they asked me questions on my goal, research, willingness to do multidisciplinary projects, and so on. Lastly, I had chances to ask about things. It was my very first interview and so I pretty messed it up.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain one of your theoretical paper to general audience?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RAND (Santa Monica, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

more like academic than corporate (the organization is sort of in between). part was like a PhD job talk. part was one-on-ones with potential peers. and screening with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• why i wanted to be there (vs industry, government, or university)   1 Answer

Negotiation

straightforward; they made an offer, I countered, they were surprised what i was making at current employer but responded to JUST get it over the line.

UI Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RAND (Pittsburgh, PA) in May 2015.

Interview

This interview process was fairly straight forward and the team interviewing me seemed knowledgable of what the job candidate needed to be. The pre screening was simple enough on the phone. The interviewers were complimentary to my experience via my resume and my graphic design skills.

Interview Questions

• They asked what types of development tools you use? And a somewhat trick question of "what is a z-index?". It seems like an easy question to get basic html experience answers but it was odd.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RAND in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position online, and received a call/phone screening from the Operations Manager the next day. The call was very casual and its purpose seemed mainly to confirm my interest/compatibility with the position. I was then requested to complete a skills exam, which tested clerical proofreading and familiarity with several Microsoft Office programs. After passing these I was offered a phone interview, which consisted of two 30-minute interviews, and was conducted about a week after my initial application. The final stages involved two 30-minute in-person interviews, and a background/reference check. I was offered the position about three weeks after submitting my application.

Interview Questions

• What would be your priorities in making travel arrangements for an employee?
      What would you do if two employees asked you to complete a task for the same deadline, which you wouldn't be able to meet?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in August 2010.

Interview

One primary interview, followed by three with researchers

Negotiation

Unable to negotiate

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at RAND (Arlington, VA) in July 2009.

Interview

I applied online in December 2008 and got a call from RAND in the spring of 2009. I was interviewed over the phone, then had to pass a computer-based test on my skills in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, typing, proofreading, etc. I passed and got a second call to come in for an interview. Three researchers interviewed me, each separately; all three of them were very enthusiastic and cordial. A few days later I got an offer which I couldn't refuse. RAND offers great benefits (health insurance, 15 vacation days a year, retirement plan) and has a very friendly work environment.