RBC Software Developer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

RBC Software Developer Interview Questions

Updated Nov 10, 2016

3.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at RBC (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Routine three person interview with technical questions and questions about technical experience. Questioners were friendly but thorough. Would prepare using standard interview questions- was asked about threads, conditional variables, algorithms, structures, hashmap vs tree. Also asked specific questions about experience- what was memory footprint of code, etc.

Interview Questions

• What is a conditional variable? When is an example of when you might be forced to use one?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for RBC

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at RBC (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

tough questions. But overall, the team is friendly and the atmosphere is good. I met all of the team members I would work with and they are professional, but tough. I would recommend this company to those who are dedicated to your career, but not to those who want to have more family-oriented professionals because sometime your work-life is a little bit imbalanced. But who is not like this in wall street investment firm?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at RBC (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

The interview came through a recruiter. There was a 1 hour phone interview to discuss my profile, experience etc. This was followed by an onsite interview. The onsite interview was 3 one hour sessions with 3 different team members. One thing about the interview was that the interviewers did not seem to have had a discussion after each session, so that their questions revolved around the same problem domain / aspects.

Interview Questions

• Design a program to build and update a market depth book.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at RBC (New York, NY) in June 2011.

Interview

Phone Interview. After a week i was called in for a face to face interview. Met with 5 people and the interview lasted for 3.5 hours. After a week , i was called again to meet with 2 more people - Senior Managers. The technical interview was pretty detailed and all the interviewers were very nice. Interview was mainly focused on .Net, web based technologies, database, performance , unix etc.

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at RBC.

Interview

Applied online and within few days got a call from HR for phone interview.After which I got in person interview scheduled with group leader,developer and manager.It was a white board round.

Interview Questions

• the difference between static and non-static   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at RBC (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2016.

Interview

Applied online and within few days got a call from HR for phone interview.After which I got in person interview scheduled with Vice President,developer and manager.It was a white board round.

Interview Questions

• questions on past experience and advanced Java concepts.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at RBC in March 2016.

Interview

2 Phone Interviews - Mostly technical questions. Four other individuals were present in the second interview and all asked technical questions related to their experience and projects. Should be a full stack developer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at RBC (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2015.

Interview

Interview was a personal 1 on 1 interview at RBC's head office in downtown Toronto. Interviewer basically went over my resume, and asked some details about my previous work experience. Then went on to explain the technologies used by RBC, that I would interact with in the offered role as a Co-op software developer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you used leadership in your previous jobs.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at RBC (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in March 2012.

Interview

After the initial chat with the RBC recruiter, I had a 30 min phone interview with the hiring manager. We briefly went through my experience. He didn't care about specific languages or technologies, just whether I had build large projects from scratch which I did (16 years in the industry).

Then I went for a test. I was giving a computer and was supposed to code a complete program that reads words from a file, counts the number of occurrences of each word and outputs this stuff in the order of decreasing number of occurrences. The time to complete was 2-3 hours. I couldn't finish the program to the working state, but went maybe 70% of the way. Which was not good enough.
    It was pretty brutal, I got tired quickly and could not think straight anymore. Later I was told that none of the candidates before me could complete the test. I feel that this test is not a fair assessment of one's skills.

Interview Questions

• Within 2-3 hours write a program that reads words from a large file, counts how many times an individual word occurs and output them in the order of decreasing number of occurrences. The language doesn't matter, just negotiate the programming environment you prefer in advance.   4 Answers