Relic Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Relic Entertainment Interview Questions

Interviews at Relic Entertainment

3.4

Designer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment in August 2019.

Interview

This was a 1 hour phone interview with a design director. Things went ok to start but I got the impression that every answer I gave wasn't good enough. It was as if I was being set up to fail from the start.

Turns out they had already hired for the position I was interviewing for but decided to interview me anyway. Though I had no knowledge of it at that time. Only found out through a friend at the studio.

Ultimately, I was not equipped for this interview due to lack of communication about the intent of the interview (if there even was one). Arguably, the interview shouldn't of happened in the first place since they had already filled the role.

Interview Questions

• Question about design leadership and what my design process was and how would I display my process to a team of designers.   Answer Question

Software Development Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in April 2019.

Interview

Applied online. Within 3 days recieved a phone interview and did a hand-in assignment. A couple days later was invited to a onsite interview. Onsite interview included a tour, meet & greet and a question session.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

Internal recruiter contacted me and after a brief chat, I had a phone technical screen with a technical director. After that an onsite interview was scheduled. It was done first in a room with printed out questions but you answer on a laptop with no internet connection. After that a pair of SE would talk about the solutions you have given.

Accounting Co-op Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment.

Interview

They take you around for an office tour which is nice, you get to see all the games and how they were being made (you have to sign an NDA). After that you head into the board room for the interview where an hr person and your potential future boss will interview you. After which you will do a short accounting test (mostly basic financial accounting but i recommend brushing up before the interview).

Interview Questions

• They mainly just asked about my resume and my experiences that I had there   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

Contracted by a recruiter and talked over the phone about my resume. Then an on-site was scheduled and it was done on a computer without internet and questions printed out. After an hour you are expected to talk about why you wrote what you wrote. Shortly an offer was given. It was very sketchy that they said they wanted to hire me for rendering yet they won’t put that title in the offer letter. They were also very reluctant to match offer even though I showed I had two other offers that were 6k higher.

Interview Questions

• General data structure but specific to STL in C++   Answer Question
    • Minimal coin change returned given initial amount and coin value   1 Answer

Since they couldn’t match the offer, I simply said they aren’t being competitive enough and was sketchy about not wanting to put rendering engineer as the title despite the fact that the said I would be a good fit for rendering.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

As soon as I arrived, I had to sign an NDA, which was a quick, easy process. The woman at the front desk was kind and attentive. After a brief wait, I was taken on a tour of the office (which is absolutely lovely), then brought to the meeting room I'd have my interview in. I had a long, enjoyable discussion with the two gentlemen who were interviewing me, going a little bit overtime, which is not a bad thing. When our time was up, a woman from HR came to get me, who then brought me to the general manager of the studio, who happened to be available to talk. He said he likes to talk to potential candidates, so he can get to know folks who may be joining, and to show them how he likes to run the studio. He was a stimulating conversationalist, and I believe his leadership would be great to work under. He had to get back to work before long, so I left him and spoke again with the woman from HR, who was waiting. I then had a talk with her, where we discussed the culture of the studio, and some details about the job like health benefits. Once we were finished, the interview was complete, and I was walked to the exit. Overall, it was a highly enjoyable experience. Just interviewing there was a pleasure, and I can only imagine that working with those folks would be even better.

Interview Questions

• The interview process was less question and answer, and more conversational. Topics would come up, and we'd get as in-depth as we'd like, which gave all of us a good idea of how much we knew, how we worked, and how we'd get along. There weren't really any concrete questions I could point to as an example. My suggestion would be to be prepared to hold a conversation, not just answer a questionnaire.   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment in September 2016.

Interview

I was very excited to be contacted by Relic for a phone interview, and read up on all of their policies and practices. One of their values as a company is about "real talk" with their candidates, however I'm sad to say that they don't practice what they preach. The Relic employee missed our meeting and never contacted me again. I called and emailed 3 times, hoping to at least understand what had happened, yet I never heard back. I'm surprised that they can boast of offering a great candidate experience when they treat people in this way.

Relic Entertainment Response

Oct 26, 2016 – HR Director

We apologize for not getting back to you to book your phone screen. We know what it's like to be on the candidate side, and how frustrating it can be when you don't hear back. We always strive for a positive candidate experience, but from time to time, we miss the mark.

As a recruitment team, we have big ambitions for where we want to take our candidate experience. That becomes challenging with high volume recruitment and we're continuing to iterate to figure out what candidate response time is going to make most sense for us long-term.

UI Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2015.

Interview

This is for Relic Vancouver branch.

Step 1- Brief telephonic conversation, introduction to what the company is doing and what are its plans for the future. Asking brief past experience etc.

Step 2- Technical Test on codility.com (they give 45 mins for what most tests in codility are of 2 hours, and its not in a language of your choice, only C++ or Java)

Step 3- In-person interview (didnt happen)

Interview Questions

• No interview questions, didnt reach step 3, passed step 2 but didn't get selected, they didn't reply why.   1 Answer

Relic Entertainment Response

Sep 17, 2015 – General Manager

Thanks for letting us know how you felt our interview process went; we aim for a great candidate experience but sometimes we miss the mark. I’m sorry that your experience wasn’t what we would have hoped, but hearing from you helps us do a better job and build a better Relic!

As this is an anonymous post I can’t look into why you weren’t selected, but please feel free to reach out to the recruiter or to me at info@relic.com with the subject Attention: Justin Dowdeswell. I hope this helps you in getting the feedback you wanted and that you would consider applying with us in the future!

Programmer Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

I was greeted by HR who I was in cotact with, she led me to the interview room and made me feel comfortable. 2 technical interviewers later greeted me, they asked 1 or 2 questions about my past project/personality experience followed by about an hour of fast questions and a simple coding challenge at the end.
    I was caught very off guard and underperformed but none of the questions were meant to trick you, just probe to see what you know.
    At the end the same HR that greeted me led em through a tour of the office. Really cool office.

Artist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Relic Entertainment.

Interview

Interview was 2 stages. 1st initial phone call with recruiter. Just to get a sense of personality and interest. 2nd with the leads you would report to. Very good questions on your work flow and experience in working with others people. Good, solid, interesting questions. After that was the offer call. From start to finish my experience was 2 weeks tops.

Interview Questions

• What's you think your best skill is. As well as how to deal with interpersonal problems.   Answer Question