Royal Mail Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Royal Mail Interview Questions

Updated Apr 18, 2018

2.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail in March 2018.

Interview

Complete online application including work history, education and experience.
    Complete 2 assessments - an accuracy/ information check assessment and what information is most/least like you.
    The whole process to interview took around 3 weeks.
    Turned up for the interview at 10.45 to be seen at 11am. I was taken to their break room by an employee and was advised the manager would be with me ASAP.
    The interviewer was running late so I took the time to read the information about the company on my phone and read some of the statistics on their annual charter before I was seen.
    The hiring manager apologised and welcomed me into an office space to complete the interview.
    He was really welcoming and friendly- quickly putting me at ease and explaining the interview process and that he expected it would take around 40 mins.
    He advised he would ask 6 situational questions - ‘tell me a time when...’ and then a further 6 questions about the role itself.
    The situational questions were pretty straight forward and I was able to give some detailed answers (I would recommend the STAR technique here).
    He then moved on to asking me about the role itself, which was very straightforward too.
    As the position was for a contracted period of 6 months he expanded to say he would hope it would become permanent at the end of 6 months but he was looking for someone that would be motivated and willing to uptake additional hours and work extra days when required and that if I were successful he would be looking for someone to start as quick as possible.
    He ended the session telling me more about the role, the training I would receive and asking me if I had any further questions. Overall, it was a very positive experience and everyone I came into contact with was very friendly and welcoming.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked as part of a team to complete an important task?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you dealt with a difficult customer?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you found yourself in a stressful situation and how you dealt with that stress to complete the task at hand?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you worked in an area where health and safety was paramount and what steps you took to ensure your own safety?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you recognised a problem at work and how you dealt with that?   Answer Question
    • What checks would you do on your vehicle prior to starting your shift?   Answer Question
    • Would you be willing to uptake additional hours?   Answer Question
    • Do you have any restrictions in regards to driving, I.e points on license?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Royal Mail?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you improved efficiency in the work place by implementing a new process?   Answer Question

Postwoman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wigan, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Wigan, England (UK)) in April 2018.

Interview

Taken into a room documents checked, then seen by the manager who was conducting the interview. He was really nice and put me at ease. Interview was compromised of 6 competency based questions (examples wanted) and about 7 on the actual job

Interview Questions

• Name a time you have worked in a team   1 Answer
    • Give an example of when you have dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a stressful situation at work   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you have implemented something that has made work life easier   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you have seen and dealt with a health and safety breach at work   Answer Question
    • Give an example of when you had to deal with an unexpected change at work   Answer Question
    • How would you check your van is fit for work   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for royal mail   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had an experience in an active job/ what activities do you do outside of work to keep fit   Answer Question
    • Can you work Saturdays   Answer Question
    • Are you flexible in your work pattern/have you got experience in this   Answer Question
    • What is your current notice period   Answer Question
    • Do you have any holidays booked?   Answer Question
    • Do you have experience of driving a manual vehicle   Answer Question

OPG (Postie) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail in April 2018.

Interview

Apply online by attaching CV and answering a few questions. Then complete two online tests. First is personality questions ranking statements in order of importance, second is error checking codes. I was invited to interview after 1 week.
    Interview took 1hr, started by checking documents then some example based questions. Friendly interview with no pressure.

Postman/Woman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Royal Mail (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Fill out the online application form and immediately you'll get a email sent back saying you need to complete a online assessment.

Once completed Royal Mail recruitment will let you know if you've got a interview with them by email.if accepted for interview you'll halfto saught out a time.

Postman/Woman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Employee in Downpatrick, Northern Ireland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Downpatrick, Northern Ireland (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online and within 24 hours I was sent an email inviting me to do online tests where you have to identify the mistakes in addresses. You have one minute to go through 8 questions and there is around 4/5 sections that get harder as you go along. A week or two later I got an email inviting me to a face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you give us an example where you worked as a team to achieve a goal?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example where you thought up a new process that improved work efficiency?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example of a time where you dealt with an awkward customer?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example of a time you witnessed a health and safety breach at your workplace?   Answer Question
    • Can you give us an example of a time where you were in a stressful situation and how you dealt with it?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Royal Mail?   Answer Question

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mount Pleasant, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Mount Pleasant, England (UK)).

Interview

no particular interview questions. It was just to check if I matched with the details I had given for example passport photo etc. It was more of a background check. They also told us to choose which shifts to work in. The role I applied to was a warehouse worker during the christmas period as a christmas casual.

Postman/Woman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

Online application followed by 2 tests. 1 was situational statements and untimed the other was 8mins comparing a series of codes.

At interview documents were checked and roughly 8 questions asked. Firstlyi was asked to read a number plate from a distancr. The questions varied from good/bad cust service to H&S. Annoyingly, the following day i received an email saying they have had to withdraw the vacancy dur to unforeseen circumstances!!!

Interview Questions

• What vehicle checks should you carry out before setting off   1 Answer
    • As a team leader your staff member is regularly late. How will you address this issue   Answer Question

International Graduate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Royal Mail (London, England (UK)) in March 2018.

Interview

I was invited to attend an assessment centre. On the day, we were guided by two current graduates who were really helpful. The day has consisted of 3 parts: group exercise, individual case study, and presentation of the case. The group exercise was really easy, and the individual case study was pretty much a continuation of that, so that went well too.. During the presentation, you have to be prepared to justify every single detail.

Interview Questions

• Basic personal questions, 'tell me a situation when...'   Answer Question

Postman/Woman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winscombe, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Winscombe, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview was a one on one and was a relaxed one, though i was nervous about it. We went through the paperwork first then onto the questions. The whole process took 45 - 60 mins.

Postman/Woman With Driving Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beeston, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Royal Mail (Beeston, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2018.

Interview

Had to take along copies of identification, driving licence and proof of address and also take a basic eyesight teat of reading a number plate at around 70 feet away. Once that was done there were six standard questions and then a couple of job related questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked as part of a team.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with an unhappy customer and how it made you feel.   Answer Question
    • Can you explain a time where you decided to make an improvement at the place you worked?   Answer Question
    • How do you deal with change; give an example when you have been asked to change what you are doing at short notice and how you went about this   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Royal Mail   Answer Question
    • Describe one time you had stress at work and how it was resolved   Answer Question