Salk Institute Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Salk Institute Interview Questions

Interviews at Salk Institute

2.4

Equity Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

After a phone screening, I did a preliminary Skype interview with my direct supervisor. Then I was brought in for a series of in-person group interviews. Everyone who I interacted with in HR was extremely helpful and friendly. They made applying as an out-of-state candidate a really smooth process.

Interview Questions

• What can you offer that sets you apart from other candidates?   Answer Question

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

Initial phone interview with a recruiter, who was pleasant enough although abruptly ended the conversation when she heard my salary requirements (which are not exorbitant). The recruiter explained that the low salary was because the position was "entry-level", which of course is confusing given the job description requires previous experience with contracts and 5+ years business, administrative and/or legal secretary experience. Simply stated, it seems they are looking for an experienced person willing to work at entry-level pay. Nonetheless, I appreciated her transparency: no need to waste either of our time.

Lab Technician Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Salk Institute.

Interview

Hiring at the Salk is done through HR or through employee procurement. This means that you can be offered a job either through the traditional apply and interview route, or through networking and being offered a job by a PI.

Interview Questions

• I was quizzed on basic neuroanatomy relevant to the research being done in the lab.   1 Answer

Staff Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call with the hiring manager. After about a week, was invited for an in-person interview. Met with 5-6 different people including graduate student, post-doc, faculty, the hiring manager, and the hiring manager's supervisor. There were not a lot of technical questions. More like brain storm sessions about things we could do together. I believe the hiring decision rests highly on the letter/chat with my references.

Interview Questions

• How do you map the double helix structure from super-resolution image?   Answer Question

Laboratory Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with the lab manager and then two different postdocs whom I potentially could work with. I interviewed with each one separately and they described what they were working on and what they needed from me. Then, about a week later, I was called in to meet with the PI and choose find out which postdoc I would be working with.

Oncology Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

I went in and was greeted by the lab manager who was going to be leading the interview. She introduced me to the group that I would be working with and had, who would have been my direct supervisor, come and participate in the interview. After an hour of questions they led me back to the HR office.

Interview Questions

• How well do you perform on a time sensitive project?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any issues with driving to the location?   1 Answer

Human Resources Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I was contacted pretty shortly after submitting my resume and quickly set up an interview. It was easy setting up a time and everyone was very friendly. I met with 3 people and they administered a test as well. It just took a long time to hear back and it was difficult to get a hold of them

Interview Questions

• About past experience and how well it would translate working in that setting   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Human resources first reached out to me and asked me a few questions. After that I set up a time to meet with the P.I. and the graduate students within the lab. The interview process was very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• When I could start, why I am interested in this position, how does my experience relate to the job description...   Answer Question

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Salk Institute (San Diego, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I found a open position on their website and submitted my application online. About a week later I got an interview. It was with the lab manager, the 3 research scientists in the lab, and the 2 postdoc I would be working with if hired. I was told they will inform me the result next week, but I never heard them back ever since. They even didn't respond to my email.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Salk Institute (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

Not too extensive. Similar to other institutes. Based on my CV, the PI provided flight and hotel and the interview process was about 1 full day. Talked to the PI and lab mates.