Scopely Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Scopely Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2017

2.9

Game Design Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Scopely.

Interview

9 phone interviews plus on-site 6 hr interview with 8 people. Was advertised and told that it was a FT job with PTO, medical benefits, etc. Got an offer for the job, but as a contract job with NO BENEFITS. It felt like a very dishonest bait-and-switch and wasted weeks of my time. Contract jobs should never be posted as full-time jobs, period. I declined.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you change about our game?   1 Answer

Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA).

Interview

I first had a phone screening which went very well, it seemed a bit rushed but I got all the information I needed in my questions , and they seemed very interested in my skill set. Was called in a week later for an in person interview where I had a quick tour of the studio, I met with about 7 people so the interview took some time, but they provided me with a lunch, overall I felt welcomed and they kept in touch every step of the way with any updates regarding the interview and hiring process! Everyone was very friendly and it seemed like a relax environment.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA).

Interview

Initial phone interview with recruiter. Recruiter was completely unprepared and either uninterested in doing his/her job or very new at it. I was told he/she would let me know either way in next day or two whether they wanted to bring me in for an interview. Of course I followed up the interview call with a brief thank you email the next day, but of course never heard a thing ever again even after being promised they'd let me know either way. Rude and unprofessional. It's no wonder people don't stay very long once they do get a job here. If they treat job candidates this disrespectful, it makes you wonder how they treat you once you're "in".

Interview Questions

• How would your past work experience help you in this job?   Answer Question

Customer Service Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online through their site for a position I was super qualified for. I heard back via email within a week. At that time I was contact by both the recruiter and a lead from the team. This was already confusing as I then had to write back to both to confirm things.

After a bit of back and forth with them I was contacted by the team and had a pretty odd phone interview. It went smooth in terms of question, but the person interviewing seemed to want to scare someone away from the position by going into how "intense" and "aggressive" the position was. I'm into that kind of thing, but found a super odd way to introduce your company to a prospective employee. After the 30 min call they offered to fly me out to LA to meet them and go through the true interview process. This would entail 4 hours of 7 interviews with different members of the team.

They flew me out, paid for the hotel and flight and offered reimbursement for rides , etc. It was a cushy trip and meeting the team and seeing the office was great. Overall, this was definitely the best part of the process.

The interviews were pretty standard but there was a hardcore vibe of anxiety and exhaustion coming from the folks coming in and out. It had a strong chicken-with-its-head-cut-off energy that really made it appear they don't have it together at all. I guess that definitely proved true.

At the end of my interviews I was told that I'd here back the next week (this was a Friday) no matter the decision. It's now going on week two with no follow-up even after emailing the recruiting team to say thanks and bump them as a reminder. Totally and utterly ridiculous and unprofessional. I was beyond disappointed considering the expense they paid to have me come in and the great rapport I had with all the interviewers.

The biggest bummer of all is that this place seemed really fun and committed to staying hungry. I hope they learn that recruiting doesn't end after the interview and that following up is expected for anyone who's a professional in tech applying for higher positions.

Interview Questions

• A lot of questions about process and handling overseas support staff.   Answer Question

Office Interview

Interview

HORRIBLE, weird, disfunctional, lame, unprofessional, time wasting and ignorant. A company of wack clones. Your skin matters here. No sense of any real diversity. A buch of fake, wanna be hipsters and gamers, who think they are cool. Free lunch, snacks, chaotic culture and workspace, aren't worth your sanity. Don't conform to normal in this weird place. The outside looked cool, but once in no one speaks or is genuine. Except the receptionist, who seemed normal. They pretend to welcome you, your skills and that you're apart of the team, when in actuality they are just being robotic and lame. Total useless time spent speaking, emailing and interviewing with these people!

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

They asked mundane questions which really has no relevance in real world situations. Interviewer asked questions and expected certain answers despite getting another approach that still solved the problem. It seems like the interviewer was just stroking his ego.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know the algorithm used when an index is utilized on the database. Not when you should use this index over that index, but what the optimizer is doing when an index is used.   1 Answer

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Scopely.

Interview

Full day of interviews, an hour with with six people. They flew me out and took care of my uber rides. Mostly situational and behavior questions. Tour at both beginning and end of interview by an HR intern. Expect a day filled with fake smiles and political answers. Make sure to inquire about tenure and employee retention, the numbers are low.

Interview Questions

• -How can you contribute?
      -What are your strongest skill-sets?
      -Why Scopely?
      -Do you play any of the games?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA).

Interview

Normal startup interview for an engineer. Take home to start with. Whiteboard interviews by the dozen with lovely little puzzles that didn't have much to do with my job and a culture interview to make sure I'm nice,followed by four hours to solve a problem they left me with on the spot.

Manager of Ad Network and Optimization Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Normal screening process, in-person interview. The experience was negative because after coming in, being told I was going to hear back on a certain day, being in steady communication with everyone at Scopely until that day, I was GHOSTED for 14 days. Not a peep, after multiple follow-ups with different people. Even if I didn't get the job or they were still interviewing, leaving someone hanging like that is super unprofessional and just disrespectful, in my opinion. We spoke in the interview about over-communication but it just did not apply here at all.

Interview Questions

• Typical behavioral questions, just wanted to know if your background is suitable for this role.   Answer Question

Lead Game Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Scopely (Culver City, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by their department head. I then met the head of product for coffee. I then flew out to LA. The next day, my on-site interview lasted most of the day, seeing about 7 or 8 different interviewers. The on-site was a Friday, an offer was extended the following Tuesday, and I accepted and signed that Wednesday.

Interview Questions

• Focused on past experience within the genre, leadership understanding, and overall grasp on KPIs and how to change them.   Answer Question