Scopely Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Walter Driver

Pros
  • Free food and extra-curricular activities (in 6 reviews)

• Lovely office, great catered lunches (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • chaotic political and no work life balance (in 9 reviews)

• What they don't tell you is about the backstabbing culture and the no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

1. "Truly a Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Tons of incredibly talented individuals.
    -Competitive pay and benefits package.
    -Unlimited vacation policy (can also be a con).
    -Free meals, drinks, snacks.
    -Everyones nice. No, really - like everyone.
    -Presents very intense challenges that are amazing to overcome together.
    -We have a host of very exciting games and IPs in development.
    -Scopely isn’t afraid to innovate - something that’s becoming rarer and rarer in the mobile space.
    -Everyone has respect for each department and function. PMs, engineers, designers, and the like are all on equal footing, unlike many companies that are essentially dictated by PMs with other departments feeling the burn.
    -Scopely trusts its employees. This is key.

Cons

-Different partner studios have different contracts, so each game team functions very differently. The lack of a consistent partnership with 2nd party developer makes some relationships much stronger than others.
    -Company goals are incredibly high and bonuses are based on beating the already high goals. I get high goals - I do. When compared to almost every other major game publisher, however, our potential bonuses are disappointing. Some of this is offset by high salaries - some of it is not.
    -Unlimited vacation policy can make you feel like you’ve either a) been jipped and could have taken off more time or b) terrified that you’ve taken off too much time. “Limited support days” amplify this uncertainty.

Advice to Management

-Continue to drive innovation in the market.
    -Make the company bonuses match industry standards.

"Fun, Challenging, High Risk of Burn Out"

Current Employee - Marketing in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible people, excellent culture, great pay and benefits. The company really puts a focus on making employees happy.

Cons

Long work hours and unreasonably high performance expectations.

Advice to Management

Recognize and address the downsides of Iterating to Success. The constant demand to push performance fosters a risk-adverse environment that hinders creative problem-solving and will limit the growth trajectory of the company. Instead, enable learning and innovation by making it ok to take risks and fail.

3. "Great Team & Amazing Work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Team is extremely talented and driven
    - Very exciting set of problems form engineers and data scientists
    - Dynamic space where your work gets put into practice immediately and great ideas move fast from ideation to reality

Cons

- Gaming space is a competitive market, so you have to produce compelling games

Advice to Management

Keep investing in Platform technology to build real competitive edge

"Bad Management, Great People"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met some of the best friends I'll ever know there, and I learned a lot from a ton of smart people. Catered lunches. Unlimited vacation policy. Normal startup perks.

Cons

Terrible management. Partially incompetent people team with a few members with hearts trying to keep things sane. I learned everything I need to know to effectively demotivate employees and caring about nothing but hours instead of output. My ideas didn't contribute anything if my boss didn't like it or it wasn't his idea. It's a political mess, and the turnaround rate of employees was astonishing.

Advice to Management

Treat employees like humans because they are, and they, much like you, are imperfect as well due to that whole humanity thing.

6. "An actual great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Pros

Compensation is great, work hours are flexible, the health insurance is so good that my doctor did a double take when he saw my copay, there's catered lunch and dinner every day, anything you need to be productive is available to you, everyone working here is friendly and great at what they do, hierarchy is very flat, and turn over is very low.

Scopely actually tries to be an amazing place to work, instead of just seeming like an amazing place to work.

Cons

Schedules are very aggressive and management has no problem letting people who are under-performing go (though that may be a pro). There are also some growth problems with things that may have been fine with 20 employees not scaling to the 60+ employees Scopely has now, like all-hands meeting every Friday.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, but calm down on pushing how great Scopely is down new employees' throats; it should (and does) speak for itself, there's no need for round-tables where every new employee is asked to give a speech on why they think Scopely is amazing.

"One of the BEST Companies I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Scopley is a fun, fast-paced, startup environment with the most supportive and passionate group of people. Lets ignore the superficial benefits that most startups provide, and focus on what really matters. My co-workers here have been some of the best I've ever worked with. They push me everyday to be better at my job, they support me when things get crazy, and most of all everyone at Scopely is so smart that I want to be just like them.

Another thing I like is that executive management isn't full of themselves. Everyone is humble, and even though we're very successful at the moment, we always remind ourselves to be thankful for every success we have, and that we haven't made it yet. Also Walter the CEO always makes it a point to talk to every employee when he is walking around the office.

Tons of career growth and opportunity to move around. I've seen many people start off in a different job, then switch to a totally brand new role where they had no experience with before.

Superficial pros: Free food everyday (breakfast, lunch, dinner), snacks, soft drinks, alcohol bar, game room with arcade, table tennis, game consoles, animal friendly office, open vacation policy, tons of company events and social hours where you can get to know people you work with.

Cons

I know it's hard to take positive glassdoor reviews at face value, especially when you think that maybe the company is writing their own to boost it up, but I SERIOUSLY can't think of any MAJOR cons. I've worked at WAY WORSE companies that have no major clue what they're doing or horrible management. Scopely (at least right now), is not one of those companies.

Small cons: we're growing so fast that we're outgrowing our office space, so it can get loud and hard to get your work done, but there are tons of rooms to lock yourself in for peace and quiet.

There's still a startup culture, so it can be a bit young and sometimes very bro-y and frat-like because there are so many men. Although we're working on getting that fixed.

Advice to Management

You've done a great job so far, but as the company grows, don't forget to keep in touch with your everyday employees. Also focus on hiring diversity of women and under-represented people of color in the tech industry.

"Executive Assistant"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Culver City, CA

I worked at Scopely (Less than a year)

Pros

catered lunch, dog friendly, great team-building exercises

Cons

misrepresentation of job description, egos

"Lack of transparency and ineffective management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time

Pros

The work relationships you have with some employees definitely helps pass the time.

Cons

No real direction in the company. Lack of Product vision and constant changing of direction have negatively impacted growth and led to huge turn over rate. There is no work life balance. Only low level people are expected to work hard while the executive do a little and enjoy long vacations.
    Most, if not all, of the positive reviews on here are fake and were written by HR.

"Are you ready to step it up?"

Current Employee - Director of Product in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Product in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

THIS IS MY HONEST OPINION:

The people at Scopely are the most passionate, driven, and intelligent individuals that I have ever worked with.

Working at Scopely feels like being on an all-star team. From the CEO to the most junior members of our team; everyone is an A player. So, while this winning environment is amazing, it can also be daunting. Scopely is a place where you will be tested; an opportunity to dig deep and see what you are capable of. It's not easy, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Cons

An environment this intense is not for everyone. In order to thrive at Scopely, you need both talent and determination. I don't see this as a "con", but before you join our team, ask your self ... Are you ready to step it up?

Advice to Management

Keep driving the vision and attracting the best talent, the strongest partners, and building the best games. But at the same time, maintain the humility to evaluate the strategy and be quick to adjust when necessary.

"A lot of growth and development"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Pros

I've gotten a lot of opportunities to learn and make an impact at the company.
    The people are passionate, intelligent, and very friendly
    The energy of Scopely is very exciting - lots of big projects and wins across the company
    The office is comfortable and social

Cons

Things are constantly changing. I like that, but some people find it jarring.

Advice to Management

Their ears are always open to employee feedback - this just needs to continue as the company scales!