Scopely Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.1
Walter Driver

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free food and extra-curricular activities (in 7 reviews)

• Catered lunches and dinners almost every day, in-house massages, an unwieldy number extracurricular clubs, no vacation policy, etc (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • chaotic political and no work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chaotic and political environment, no work life balance, ineffective and ego driven management, unrealistic workload expectations (in 8 reviews)

1. "High Growth Startup with Endless Challenges & Supportive People"

I have been working at Scopely full-time

Pros

- People. The most creative, innovative, smart, and talented group of minds from the top mobile games company in the industry have all gathered here. If you want a community to learn best practices, and develop new ones, Scopely is the place. No other gaming company has top talent from other top mobile games company.
    - Challenges. Hard problems to solve that will push and help you grow to the next level.
    - High Growth Potential. Stand out performers are promoted very quickly within a few months to a year.

Cons

- High Expectations. High expectations from executives drive a high pressure environment that's not for the faint-hearted.
    - Start-up Environment. Very little structure in place in almost all departments that can lead to confusion and things feeling a bit unorganized. Although for those who see opportunity, this is a great area for you to shine
    - Culture. A high pressure environment with very little structure often leads to conflict that impacts culture and employee relations. Things can be improved in this area

Advice to Management

Improve culture and the employee experience. Too often we focus on the tangible benefits, but very little on intangible (how we talk and work together).

2. "Unstable workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free Food. Each day lunch is served and is generally a meat dish, vegetables and salad. Sometimes they have a sandwich bar which is refreshing.

Free Drinks. Soda and coconut water etc in the fridge and real water and soda water from a machine.

Free snacks. A variety of snacks to choose from from healthy to fattening.

Company Trip. Each year the company goes on a trip to San Diego.

Cons

They put a lot of time, money and resources into hiring the best of the best but zero energy into developing and retaining their employees once hired. Also, since they only hire "senior" and above many employees find themselves doing junior work.

There is an obscene amount of turnover and the work environment is highly political and cut throat. It used to not be like that but it is now. Since the live products are doing okay but not great people tend to blame others to deflect their part in it.

Business model is challenging.
    There's no CFO. There's no CPO. Most managers are inexperienced who've never managed before nor run a business.

Advice to Management

Be congruent with your message and actions. Be clear about your mission and goals. Invest in your people don't just "collect" them. They are REAL humans not dolls.

"Yikes"

Former Employee - Senior Artist in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Artist in Culver City, CA

I worked at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice. Some of the teams survived horrible abuse and stress thanks to great peers.

Cons

Company direction no longer on quality and rather on profitability, President is terrifying, dishonest hiring (bait and switch), top-heavy hiring has tanked productivity.

Advice to Management

You've lost dozens of talented people from abuse and unwillingness to invest and trust your staff. I have no advice to give now that you've surrounded yourselves with yes-men.

"A great vision trampled by ruthless and greedy management"

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful office space, free meals and stocked kitchen, great people, awesome games, vacation policy.

Cons

No 401K. Chaotic and political environment, no work life balance, ineffective and ego driven management, unrealistic workload expectations. Corrupt executive team.. Minimal opportunity for growth within the company, they would rather hire someone from outside or outsource to agencies. Back stabbing culture. Male driven immature culture. Too many fake reviews from HR. Bonus don't match industry standards.

Advice to Management

Look around and see the number of exceptional employees who are burnt out and worked to the bone with little to no appreciation. Stop hiring more Directors and VPs and pay attention to the team themselves that give their heart and soul to a company that gives nothing in return. Layoffs of loyal employees, mass exodus of frustrated people and an unbelievably high turnover rate are a testament to a great culture turned awry. This is not the company Walter Driver dreamed of building.

"Great company, in theory"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

I worked at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Talented and dedicated engineers, working with fun brands, good perks

Cons

Way too much management thrash, hyper political, culture of blame

Advice to Management

Let the game teams do their jobs. Cut down on unnecessary meetings and stop creating problems--you hire good people to let them bring their own experience to bear, not to conform to your whims. Burnout is a real issue and is going to continue to slow progress for the foreseeable future. Focus on unblocking your teams.

6. "Scopely has changed my life"

I have been working at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This environment and culture really is conducive to employee growth and retention. I've never felt like my opinion was more valid. There are several ways to move up and be clear about what you want - one on ones with the hiring manager, people reviews, 360 feedback reviews. I think it's awesome that a startup has taken so much interest in investing in their employees.

Cons

If you want to instill change, you do have to become a catalyst for that and drive it yourself to the right people. That's not necessarily a con but something every company struggles with.

7. "Great people and engaging work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work you do at Scopely is your own! I feel empowered to drive change every day and fulfilled when I reach my goals. Every week there are all-hand meetings where we celebrate wins, give shot outs to each other and make sure everyone is on the same page. It truly feels like you are on a winning team. The perks are great, catered food, healthy snacks and fun activities.

Cons

Everyone is super hungry for success, which can create an environment of anxiety when things are not progressing as planned. If you can navigate these moments and push ahead the reward at the end can be very satisfying. I have worked at other gaming companies and this is true everywhere. Scopely has huge ambitions and does not give up easily.

Advice to Management

Keep your ear to the ground, make sure we don't loose track of our people and culture. I have not been here for very long, but I can tell how much management cares.

8. "Best Company I've Worked For"

I have been working at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Culture, Friendly Co-Workers, Free Food

Cons

Lack of staffing, working on multiple projects for long periods, burn out risk high

Advice to Management

Hire more people! So many Directors but not enough people to do mid-level work. Many departments desperately low on staffing.

"Littered with Double Edge Swords"

I have been working at Scopely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of driven individuals and talent from all over the F2P industry
    - Incredible IPs
    - Shocking amount of financial transparency
    - Beautiful office and location
    - Fringe benefits (company vacation, lunch, dinner, snacks, bars etc....)
    - Belief in overall company plan

Cons

- Alpha male driven culture that thrives on pressure and riding employees
    - Inability to commit to either being a game or tech company
    - PM driven games mean game designers don't have the environment to thrive. As a result, games are held together by marketing and UA
    - Compensation starting to fall behind industry standards
    - Scopely believes big salaries at the top and relative weakness in the middle is sustainable

Advice to Management

Game designer need room to innovate, our PMs haven't delivered successful features. Keep an eye on salaries, people know if they're below internal or industry standards.

10. "Truly a Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Scopely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Tons of incredibly talented individuals.
    -Competitive pay and benefits package.
    -Unlimited vacation policy (can also be a con).
    -Free meals, drinks, snacks.
    -Everyones nice. No, really - like everyone.
    -Presents very intense challenges that are amazing to overcome together.
    -We have a host of very exciting games and IPs in development.
    -Scopely isn’t afraid to innovate - something that’s becoming rarer and rarer in the mobile space.
    -Everyone has respect for each department and function. PMs, engineers, designers, and the like are all on equal footing, unlike many companies that are essentially dictated by PMs with other departments feeling the burn.
    -Scopely trusts its employees. This is key.

Cons

-Different partner studios have different contracts, so each game team functions very differently. The lack of a consistent partnership with 2nd party developer makes some relationships much stronger than others.
    -Company goals are incredibly high and bonuses are based on beating the already high goals. I get high goals - I do. When compared to almost every other major game publisher, however, our potential bonuses are disappointing. Some of this is offset by high salaries - some of it is not.
    -Unlimited vacation policy can make you feel like you’ve either a) been jipped and could have taken off more time or b) terrified that you’ve taken off too much time. “Limited support days” amplify this uncertainty.

Advice to Management

-Continue to drive innovation in the market.
    -Make the company bonuses match industry standards.