ScottMadden, Inc. Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ScottMadden, Inc. Interview Questions

3.2

Non Specific Consulting Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Atlanta, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

Came in to the ScottMadden and completed 4-5 one hour interviews with various partners and managers. Have deep experience with interviewing but found this less of the company trying to sell me on working for them and more like I was being judged to see if I was good enough to join their precious culture and fraternity...very off putting to say the least. I did not receive an invite back for the follow up mini case presentation which was not a surprise but also a big relief as I did not want to join this firm. Based on my consulting experience (both with Big 4 and smaller niche firms... ScottMadden salaries are not competitive with the market... you can make much more at other firms.

Interview Questions

• Multiple behavioral/interpersonal questions... "tell me a time when______?"...i.e. had a conflict with a coworker, or had to make a difficult decisions.

Was ask to describe how I felt about the recruiting process and how I conducted hiring or have seen hiring conducted for similar jobs...also probed me about my experience and preference for performance management processes (found this odd). Felt more like I was provided them free market analysis and consulting on HR practices than being interviewed.

Was asked the price of oil and how much I thought it would be in one year and why?..found this odd... as my background and field of expertise has nothing to do with Oil, gas or energy. Completely understand this is a ScottMadden strength but not sure why this was asked. Can only assume they were looking to understand my knowledge of the industry and market or if I am current on commodities trading and the energy sector.   Answer Question

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

Whether you are a newly minted MBA grad or a seasoned hire, ScottMadden uses behavioral-based interview questions. Also as part of the interview process new MBAs are required to present a business case study before a small group of consultants. Whether you are a new grad or have experience, expect a full day of interviews with various consultants. Although each interviewer asked similar types of questions, they are each looking for specific qualities.

Everyone is very nice - but they do have very high expectations.

Now that I know more about behavior interviews, I would have prepared differently. My recommendations, do some research on interviewing - do a lot of research on behavioral interviews. (Check out "the interview guys" website, they have great information on interviewing, what so say and what not to say.)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you found a mistake in someone else's work.

Tell me about a time when you disagreed with your boss/supervisor. How did you handle that?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

For on-campus recruitment, the firm typically holds an on-campus informational session. Although it is not technically required, attending the information session is highly encouraged (and may affect whether or not a candidate is offered an interview). This first round interview is held on campus and typically lasts about an hour and includes a panel of interviewers (generally 2-3). Those chosen to move on to the 2nd round are invited to the office for several 1:1 interviews, a presentation (prepared by the candidate), and lunch with several members of the firm.

Interview Questions

• Q: Tell us about a time you had to motivate a team to accomplish a goal.
      Q: Why do you want to go into consulting?
      Q: Why are you interested in ScottMadden?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

The first round included an on-campus behavioral interview with two consultants. They chose candidates that evening for second round interviews, which could be done either in their Atlanta or Raleigh office. The second round interviews included several (fairly casual) behavioral interviews with staff/leaders followed by a presentation that the candidate must prepare and deliver to a small panel.

Interview Questions

• If asked to join a project with a new client, what is one of the first things you would do?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation around salary, though some possibility to negotiate sign-on/relocation bonuses

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. in October 2014.

Interview

Two rounds of interviews. First round on campus, second round in the office. Second round included three face-to-face interviews and a 20 minute presentation. Most interviews were conversational with behavioral and situational type questions.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to motivate a team in order to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Raleigh, NC) in February 2014.

Interview

Hiring/Interview process consisted of me emailing a cover letter with a resume attached to the head of the department I was applying for. After about a month, I was invited for an interview. I interviewed with the head of the department and a senior research analyst. The process took less than an hour and all of the staff were extremely friendly.

Interview Questions

• If you have to survey 200 employees and only 150 respond, how might you complete the data set?   1 Answer

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Raleigh, NC) in September 2010.

Interview

I responded to a job ad on their website. I received a call from their Partner in charge of recruiting and had about a 45 minuite phone interview. A few days later, she called back to ask me to come to their office for an in-person interview with 4 different people (one at a time). I traveled to their HQ in Raleigh (at their cost) and had 4 - 1 hr interviews. 3 of the interviewers asked standard interview type questions about my background, experience, why I wanted to work for the company, etc. The fourth had a much different style. He asked me a lot of situational questions about consulting (i.e. think of a time you had a conflict with a team member, how did you resolve it).

Interview Questions

• Think of a time you had a conflict with a team member, how did you resolve it?   Answer Question
    • What is the most difficult situation you ever had with a client? How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. in September 2009.

Interview

For the first round interview, it consisted entirely of behavioral questions with two principles from the firm. Since they are so small, they definitely want to understand why ScottMadden. Expect awkward silences as they switch off between questions. One interviewer was a little cold and hard to read but the other was very friendly.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ScottMadden, Inc. (Atlanta, GA) in September 2007.

Interview

The int process at SM takes place over a few weeks and will depend on your status as a recent MBA grad or an exp. hire. For those coming out of the MBA program, you will typically meet informally at an informational presentation. "Cultural fit" is important at SM, so be sure to make the most out of any points of contact. You will then have a panel interview (probably on-campus), and make a presentation in the office if you're called back. The process is outlined on the firm website and it pretty straightforward.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when....   1 Answer
    • Walk me through your resume   1 Answer

Negotiation

To my knowledge, MBA offers are standard.