Shutterstock Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Shutterstock Interview Questions

Updated Mar 15, 2017

2.7

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shutterstock.

Interview

Three phone screens and an on-site interview. Good office and engineers.

Make sure the recruiter(s) and logistics people do not screw you over on travel expenses. I was told to save my receipts and that hotel and travel expenses will be covered. Shutterstock reserved a $200 hotel for me. The hotel asked for my credit card as a security deposit against damages: standard procedure. However, my credit card was charged the full cost.

Fast forward two months and Shutterstock has not reimbursed me for the hotel, local transportation, or food. They keep saying that they'll cover the expenses, but never actually send me the money. Very sleazy of them. Beware!

Image Reviewer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterstock.

Interview

In the application they ask you to do an assessment, speed test, and also a general application. I met every single requirement for the position. They said they'd get back to me in two weeks. After two weeks, I didn't hear back so I reached out to them. They said I didn't do an assessment, which I did, and that I should retake it. I retook it and still never heard back. It sucks because I really wanted to work for this company and, with years of photography and videography experience, a brand new iMac, high speed internet, and Adobe suite I felt that I was more than qualified. I hope they're more responsive with other passionate and eager applicants.

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterstock (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Call with the recruiter but was rejected soon after. The recruiter was especially condescending. I applied to a senior product manager role and the recruiter upon calling me told me I am not senior enough so he'd like to downgrade me to a product manager role. He then said the previous product that I worked at doesn't have as many users as Shutterstock without even asking me our user base. "I'm sure [my company] have many users, but Shutterstock has millions of users so we need people with experience". He then immediately said the range of PM salary that I asked for is too high saying the highest they can offer is $140,000 even though that's within the range I mentioned. Overall a very condescending experience and major red flag for anyone who would want to work there.

Senior Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Shutterstock in February 2017.

Interview

Spoke with recruiter and was immediately scheduled for video call with hiring manager. Call went very well and the hiring manager said he will move me forward in the process.

After both him and recruiter not being responsive, I get the canned rejection email.

Overall they're very disorganized. I wouldn't recommend.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your sales process   1 Answer

Senior Product Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterstock (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial call with recruiter followed by a call with VP. Then a four and a half hour meeting at the office meeting with multiple groups whose names had been provided in advance. It would have been nice if they had broken it into a few meetings rather than one very long one especially given the nature of people that work full time and have to take off.

Interview Questions

• Mainly situational--what's you preferred way of working with software developers and any styles you use? How do you use quantitative and qualitative data to solve customer problems? Any product recommendations you can think of for the product you're interviewing for?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Shutterstock (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by an agency recruiter. I phone screened with the agency and was moved forward to do one phone screen with a recruiter, followed by 3 google hangouts with 3 more recruiters. I was asked very basic questions about how my past roles related to this one that I was interviewing for and an assessment was made very quickly. When I finished my third and final google interview, I was called by the agency recruiter not even an hour later and presented with an offer.

Director of Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Shutterstock (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a lengthy phone screen with the in-house recruiter then came in to meet the VP of Global Inside Sales and the VP of Ad Operations - each interview was roughly an hour. Weeks later, I was asked to come in and sit in an hour and a half session with 4 senior managers across functions like Operations, Account Management and Strategy.

Interview Questions

• What type of environment do you thrive in?
      Please explain your biggest professional achievements.
      How do you deal with low performers?
      What is your management style?
      Explain how people would describe your management style?
      Please explain your 30/60/90 strategy of growth for the team.
      Please explain in detail a time when you failed. What were the key learnings?
      What appeals to you within Shutterstock as a company?

**** This was by far the most unprofessional interview experience that I have ever had with a company! I am a professional manager with over 15 years experience. While the process itself was pleasant and professional - and I really liked everyone that I met with - Shutterstock did not have the decency to get back to me with a response. I invested over 7+ hours of interviewing while not taking into account research, preparation and travel. I followed up with the in-house recruiter and every person that I met with and not one person responded with so much as 'we apologize but we decided not to move forward' or 'the role has been paused' or 'we found another candidate'. An absolute complete waste of time and a terrible representation of Shutterstock as a company!!!. I will never forget that. No one deserves to be ignored in such a way after investing so much time ****
      Answer Question

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterstock (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

One phone screen with a recruiter, a Google Hangouts with a designer, another Google Hangouts with head of design team, a design challenge, a 4 hour on-site interview where I met with more team members and got a tour of the office.

Work From Home Footage Reviewer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterstock (Austin, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

I sent in my application and someone responded in about two weeks asking when I would be available for an online video interview. He was very accommodating and picked a time that worked for both of us. The emails were quite informal. He actually forgot when our meeting was scheduled so we started half an hour late and he was very apologetic. The meeting interview lasted about 20 minutes. It was very friendly and almost informal.

Interview Questions

• How much I expect to get paid. It's weird because they don't say how much you earn on this job until you sign a non-disclosure agreement on the next round but they ask this so that they know what range your expecting and apparently your answer plays a role in whether or not they call you back.   1 Answer

Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Shutterstock (New York, NY).

Interview

This might be a decent company but my experience with their hiring process was the worst I've ever had.

Was put in touch with an in-house recruiter, who soon reached out and scheduled a time for phone interview.

I carved out a time for this phone interview but when the time he's supposed to call came, instead of a ringing phone, I received an email from the recruiter saying he's working from home today with kids around and asked if I could reschedule. This came off as odd and extremely unprofessional: 1) why should working from home become the excuse you can't do your job? 2) why couldn't I be informed sooner, as if carving out a time on a working day afternoon for an interview was easy? 3) How could someone be so disrespectful for other people's time?

That was the first red flag, but I thought I shouldn't let the experience with a recruiter get in the way of a seemingly good opportunity. So I agreed to reschedule.

The rescheduled phone interview went smoothly. However, I got a sense that this role emphasized a great deal on managerial experience which wasn't what I'd been known for professionally. This didn't seem to be a big concern of the recruiter, and I was moved forward to having a phone interview with a VP.

The VP probably completely forgot about the call when the time came for this interview. I sent an email after 10 minutes had passed the scheduled time, and a new call got rescheduled 30 minutes after the original time. Then to the rescheduled call, the VP was 7-minute late.

Very soon into the call, I was told that this role required extensive managerial experience, and I was too green for it, which left me wonder why I was advanced in the first place. Is that because the recruiter was too busy to interview another dozen of candidates? Btw, I receive nothing - not even a rejection letter - after all the wasted time.

My advice to future candidates is that if you see red flags during the initial stage, follow your instinct. It might just be a waste of time.

Interview Questions

Shutterstock Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Shutterstock

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We hold our recruiting team and practices to the highest standards and your experience is not consistent with that. Every candidate is important to us and we’ll ... More