Shutterstock Reviews | Glassdoor

Shutterstock Founder & CEO Jon Oringer
Jon Oringer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Need to push for work/life balance at times (in 12 reviews)

• out of the company with little to no explanation (in 5 reviews)

"open and fast paced"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- intelligent and caring colleagues
    - great product
    - good benefits
    - interesting work

Cons

- marketing department needs leadership and direction
    - Need to push for work/life balance at times
    - lack of diversity

Advice to Management

- Need to balance internal promotions with external hires. At times it feels like we go on the outside
    - Be more transparent

Oct 20, 2017 – Shutterstock

Thank you for sharing your feedback; we agree the people, product, benefits, and interesting work are all great reasons to be a Shutterstock employee! We appreciate all feedback and will share your... More

"Lots of excitement and bright future"

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time

Pros

There's something new and exciting going on at Shutterstock everyday. There's opportunity to take on new challenges and learn new things from talented people in different teams and departments. If you say you want to work on something, many times you're given the opportunity.

There's a lot of cross-functional interaction on projects which is a great way to meet people and better understand everyone's role. The customer is at the core of everything the company does and it's inspiring to see how committed everyone is to always improving customer experience.

Cons

The company has had some growing pains in the past that can still be felt on certain teams but leadership has made huge strides to make this better. It's a very fast-paced environment, which can be challenging if priorities aren't clearly defined.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees before making decisions that impact them and be transparent. Make career development a priority.

Oct 7, 2017 – Shutterstock

We agree Shutterstock is an exciting place to work with something new to learn everyday and talented employees around the world solving challenging problems to improve the customer experience! - HR... More

"Stay Away!!"

I worked at Shutterstock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- The office is nice and in a central location
    - Free lunches
    - the CTO is a sensible guy who listen to his team

Cons

Terrible management.
    - The CFO/COO is bully with no sense of personal ethics. He has threatened employees who announced they were leaving. Totally unprofessional.
    * The Finance team is in total disarray, the CFO and VPs have no idea what goes on in the daily job and keep pushing down orders which don't make sense.
    - Millions were spent in implementing a new ERP software despite the team saying that the timing was wrong and tech needed to be involved. As a result, only AP runs on the new ERP software. Yes, you heard me, we spent millions to implement an ERP software to only manage our accounts payables........ Does the CEO even realize that???
    - The CEO needs to let a professional CEO and COO step in and manage the company. He does not have the skills/personality to do that at this time
    - No products breakthrough have been done within the last few years. We are getting way behind competition and no clear vision on how to change that.
    - Too many priorities, as a result nothing is moving

Advice to Management

Big changes needs to happen at the C-suite level. You are just killing the company.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the company/product is great. People here really care. They're smart, they are curious, they want to make things better for customers and contributors. The work lets you solve interesting problems, the office spaces are really nice around the world. Dynamic work environment, folks are very helpful and open about their personal life - welcome change from a corporate culture.

Cons

On the engineering/product side of things, there is a new sense of momentum and getting things done - we seem to be on a good track, moving things forward, but still a lot to put in place before we are really rolling along. But the end is in sight.

Advice to Management

Be positive and lead, we want to follow your vision, you just have to ask. We want to make Shutterstock as great as it can be. Take advantage of longer term employees who have the passion and understand the business.

"Sales Solution Manager - PROCEED WITH CAUTION"

Former Employee - Solutions Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Solutions Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock (Less than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch - and its not even that great

Cons

The monthly targets that are given to you are unattainable unless you have been with the company for a while and have a pipeline built up. At this point, they are running out of leads to give their agents. so they are recycling old leads from the previous month which have been contacted multiple times in months prior to that.
     Do not believe what they tell you during the interview process, you are going to feel like you are selling magazine subscriptions or you're a used car salesman. The management team, with the exception of a few, will micro manage you. For some reason they keep bringing on new sales agents, which is taking away the only "quality" leads they have from the other agents. I can go on and on.

Advice to Management

There is so much wrong with this company and how this group is run. I don't think any advice is going to help.

"Worth trying"

I worked at Shutterstock full-time

Pros

great perks, beautiful location, interesting job

Cons

open office, lack of direction

Oct 7, 2017 – Shutterstock

We completely agree it’s worth trying. Just be careful, you may really like it here! - HR Team

"Finance"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock (More than a year)

Pros

Free Lunch & Snacks, as well as location--and that's about it.

Cons

Absolutely horrific management in the Finance Division. The Managers and VP's have no idea as to what is going on, except for pushing orders down that have no meaning or translation into the daily work.

No opportunities for career growth.

"Don't let the "perks" fool you!"

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time

Pros

This company is largely a facade. They throw free lunch, "snack attacks" and a ton of other frivolous things at employees to mask the terrible work environment and management team. They try so hard to be something they are not... a silicon valley technology company. But the inner workings are nothing close.

Cons

The management team is awful. No one is looking out for anyone and they do not promote growth or teach. Everyone is very miserable and just trying to stay afloat. BUT they try to mask everything with ridiculous amounts of food and drink. Also, at the end of each year, mysteriously a number of employees disappear. They let large amounts of people go towards the end of the year, year after year. No one talks about it, it is the strangest thing.

Advice to Management

l

"Ruined by incompetent senior leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very smart people at the company. They all came with the same wide eye optimism. The company does pay a little more than competitors but it comes with a price.

Cons

Where do I start?

The leadership team is as incompetent as they come. The founder/CEO is a big man child who changes priorities every other day. Instead of working with teams, he forces them to do what he wants, leading to other projects getting delayed or launched half assed.

CFO is also the COO, which has to be a conflict of interest but at this place, he continues to amass more power. He's squeezing every ounce of revenue from legacy products.

Executive team is a revolving door other than CEO/CFO, with most of them leaving after a year.

The GM structure forces all of them to fight over resources like little rats. They're glorified sales leaders instead of actual strategists.

The core product is dying and they don't seem to be preparing for the future. Instead they're doubling down on acquiring more companies that focus on stock assets.

The tech stack is as old as the company and of course no progress has been made to fixing the issues because of "too many priorities."

Get ready to work long hours because there isn't a clear focus.

Advice to Management

You won't listen but I'll share the feedback anyway.

Stop hiring and firing middle management. Either commit to making it work with them or focus on hiring more people who can get work done.
    Show that you care about your employees and maybe they'll work hard without being threatened or forced to.
    Stop coming up with crappy ideas and reduce the amount of time dedicated to products that just plain suck.
    For once, look at what's worked well in the past and invest a little bit money into that, like brand.

Stop trying to use free snacks and food as s recruiting tactic. Those aren't benefits, they're perks.

"Work here if you really need the money and don't care about work life balance"

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time

Pros

Money, perks, nice office, the company pays you well but at a cost. It's a challenging environment and to be fair, you will learn. But again, the company culture is toxic

Cons

Long hours and poor management. Toxic company culture. High pressure. The employees are not appreciated. Abusive managers that do not give a damn about the customers or the employees.

Advice to Management

Care about your people a little, you'd be surprised what you get back.