Shutterstock Reviews

3.1
Shutterstock CEO Stan Pavlovsky
Stan Pavlovsky
  1. Featured Review

"Fresh leadership is steering the ship in the right direction."

5.0
    Current Employee - Platform Solutions in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

- great people, great team - office is the Empire State Building - Lunches - Fair compensation

Cons

- old company with dusty old bones. It can cause headaches, but fresh new leadership is changing that (well done L team). I’ve seen a huge improvement in open minds, risk taking, and strategic thinking, as well as new hires with technology and marketing backgrounds.

July 8, 2020Shutterstock

Thanks for the feedback! We’re so excited that you are having a great experience at Shutterstock. We’re so excited about the opportunities in front of us and proud of the progress we’re making every day to transform our business and create a better experience for our employees.

"Lots of improvement over the past year"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people at Shutterstock are some of the most talented I've worked with in my career. The work is challenging and rewarding - I've hit some big milestones with my team over the past few years. I've had the ability to try new things, experiment - even if it didn't always work out. The benefits and perks are great too - hackathons, open mic, generous 401k, breakfast/lunch/snacks. One thing I've been impressed with over the past year is how the company is really trying to make improvements in the culture and be more transparent in communication. There's been a lot of change (there always is at Shutterstock) but it's evident that leadership cares about employees and their efforts are making a difference.

Cons

While change can be exciting, it also leads to uncertainty. It's sometimes hard to know if you're working on the right things - you don't always get the best direction from managers (depends on who your manager is but real manager training is definitely needed across the board).

April 23, 2020Shutterstock

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time at Shutterstock and have been able to grow in your career. We agree—our people are our most valuable asset and we are grateful to work with the best! We appreciate your advice and will continue to strive to communicate transparently and productively to all of our employees.

"Nice people, nice perks but turbulent times with unclear direction"

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time

Pros

Nice people for the most part nice office (empire state building) Competitive salary Good benefits Summer Fridays

Cons

PTO is pretty average, especially considering that it includes sick leave but this year we do have summer Fridays which is nice It is unclear where the company is heading and the vision, this creates unnecessary friction, misalignment and confusion on what's truelly important.

"A company with management and leadership issues"

Former Employee - Content Marketing Specialist in Denton, TX

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great place to work within teams; highly collaborative office environment

Cons

Executives are not doing their job well. Company doesn't listen to actual customers and contributor demands

Continue reading

"Toxic environment, more and more politics with no stability and clear strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Competitive compensation, catered breakfast and lunch and free snacks. Some very cool and smart individuals.

Cons

No clear strategy, Management turnaround is what you would not imagine could be possible, and the people who care about the culture and why this business had been so successful until now get fired sooner or later for voicing their opinion.

July 9, 2020Shutterstock

Thank you for your feedback. Shutterstock is on a path of transformation to offer new value to our customers and sustained growth for the company. The best companies know they must continue to evolve to remain relevant and successful. With transformation comes change, and we understand that it’s not for everyone. At Shutterstock we value a mindset that welcomes change and the fresh perspectives and innovation that inevitably follows. Seek Diversity and Productive Communication are among our core principles. We encourage candid conversation that advances our business and our culture, and actively seek to provide avenues for meaningful employee feedback. We are proud of our collective ability to continuously evolve, commit to new priorities and move forward.

"Lacking leadership from executive team"

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Engineers, product and qa team very smart and wonderful people to work with, office is really nice

Cons

Leadership lacks good communication and transparency

July 15, 2020Shutterstock

Thank you for your feedback. Shutterstock is on a path of transformation. With transformation comes change and we know that change can be uncomfortable for some people. But change is also necessary in order to bring new value to our customers and sustained growth for the company. We have gone to great lengths to communicate this message through various channels, including at our all-employee Company Updates, team meetings and regular communications from leadership. We have also created Office hours with many of our leaders, including our CEO and our CTO, who are making themselves available to answer questions and have productive dialog with employees on any topic. We know employees want information, and we are constantly communicating to keep them informed, but some decisions cannot be communicated until they are made - and that isn’t a transparency issue. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

"Stay away!!!!!!!!"

1.0
    Current Employee - Middle Management in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice office, free lunch, best 401k match I have heard of, some of the most talented people I have worked with

Cons

Toxic environment, continuous layoffs, unrealistic deadlines, constant change of plans, no strategic direction, extreme friction for a mid cap company, nothing ever gets done.

July 8, 2020Shutterstock

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry you aren’t having a great experience at Shutterstock. We hope you are tuning into our company updates and other communications where we talk about our strategy and how we are evolving our product to bring new value to our customers. We are transforming - and transformation isn’t easy. It requires you to embrace change and reimagine new ways of doing things. We encourage you to share your concerns with your manager, HR business partner or in one of the feedback channels available to you.

"Poor strategy"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

The peers in sales are good people

Cons

They talk about strategy and new products but are cannibalize their own products and the simple answer is “sell more”.

June 1, 2020Shutterstock

Thanks for the feedback. We’re confident that we have a strong strategy in place and we’re already seeing great results driven by new offerings such as Asset Assurance and by delivering creative solutions to support our customers in new ways as their needs are evolving. But we’re just getting started -- our customers can look forward to more offerings coming this year!

"Best years are behind it"

Former Employee - Operations Lead in New York, NY

I worked at Shutterstock full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people are genuinely some of the best I have ever worked with. One of the few places I could say life long friendships were developed. Free snacks

Cons

Upper management and beyond. Many do not come from tech industries and it shows in their decision making.

June 1, 2020Shutterstock

Thanks for your feedback. We agree - Shutterstock has the best employees in the business! Working at Shutterstock provides the opportunity to work with and learn from the most talented people. In reference to your comment about management coming from different industries, we feel this is a positive. Diversity of expertise and perspective is a powerful driver and what makes us stronger. In fact, this diversity of thought is exactly what is driving our transformation. That and the hard work and willingness of our employees to embrace change and adapt to an evolving marketplace. And we’re already seeing the positive results! Our best years clearly lie ahead of us.

"Great place to work! Room for improvement? Yes, but that is true for any growth company."

4.0
    Current Employee - Director of Delivery in New York, NY

I have been working at Shutterstock full-time for more than a year

Pros

Transparency, Access to Leadership, Profitable Digital Business, Tremendous growth Potential, Smart & Respectful Environment.

Cons

You have to manage your own career, General growing pains for a growth company mostly around prioritization leading to change in direction , Chaotic at times.

April 23, 2020Shutterstock

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you have a positive experience at Shutterstock. We will use your advice to continue to drive improvements in the performance management process and to how we get valuable feedback to the top levels of leadership.

Found 348 reviews