KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Found 422 of over 506 reviews

3.3
Shutterstock CEO Stan Pavlovsky
Stan Pavlovsky
Pros
  • "Perks like free snacks, free lunch once a week , fitness benefits(in 59 reviews)

• "Working at the Empire State Building gets surreal sometimes if you are someone who has dreamt of working in the big apple(in 36 reviews)

• Cons
  • "High turnover at all levels including leadership leads to frequent strategy changes(in 18 reviews)

• "Work/Life balance can be an issue but still manageable(in 17 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Shutterstock and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year
      Featured Review

Exciting time to be here

May 20, 2021 - Human Resources Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

My experience at Shutterstock has been very positive. My colleagues are both helpful, pleasant and fun to work with. The business is growing and evolving and if you have ideas and want to push them forward, you have the chance to do so. The Head of HR is great and is building a vibrant culture for the company. If you are in the NY office, the office is fantastic - - the Empire State Building with a terrace! I don't really understand the negative reviews, I suspect many of them came from younger people who have never had legitimately horrible jobs. Let them learn the hard way when they inevitably land in one. Shutterstock is a nice place. Great colleagues Ability to make an impact Competitive pay and benefits

Cons

You have to be comfortable with changes and ambiguity during transformation

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Shutterstock on Glassdoor. We know that many candidates visit our Glassdoor page to gain a better understanding of what it is like to work here, so your feedback is really valuable. We’re so happy you are enjoying your experience at Shutterstock and we are glad you will contribute to our continued growth and transformation.

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

New. but so far so good

Jun 7, 2021 - Principal Cloud Engineer in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of opportunities to work with leading edge technology. Good salary, great benefits (particularly the health plan)

Cons

Adminsitrative overhead. Not unexpected at a large company, but can be tedious to deal with at times

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Shutterstock on Glassdoor. We know that many candidates visit our Glassdoor page to gain a better understanding of what it is like to work here, so your feedback is really valuable. Also, welcome to Shutterstock! We are so excited to have gained such amazing talent with our TurboSquid acquisition. We know that transitioning to a larger company can be difficult, but we are constantly working to improve and streamline our processes. We think you will see a lot of improvements in the coming months and encourage your suggestions on how to increase our efficiency.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

You can potentially make money here, but career progression and workplace culture are non-existent

Jun 16, 2021 - Sales
      Business Outlook

Pros

Shutterstock has changed significantly in the last few years. Pre-pandemic, pros included: - Cool workplace at ESB, free lunch and snacks - 401K matching (although this policy has changed) - Smart and friendly co-workers - ERGs - From the sales perspective, *if* you hit your goals, compensation can be attractive

Cons

- Zero career progression: every year the organization promises to look into career pathing, but for a number of years, there has been no development or signs of improvement here. - Constant fire drills - Zero work culture: working at the ESB offices was actually quite nice, but post-pandemic company culture has deteriorated significantly. Workload and expectations increased, very few initiatives to address workers bordering on burnout, managers showed lack of sympathy towards employees while the pandemic was raging on. - No diversity: higher-ups make promises to increase diversity but continue to hire the same type of folks for c-suite or managerial roles. Very few people of color in management positions. - Lack of collaboration between certain departments. One of the company principles is One Team, but there is little incentive for people to work together. Clearly some departments are also overworked and unhappy leading to little collaboration and uphill challenges to serve customers.

3 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback with us. We’re sorry about your experience while working at Shutterstock. The pandemic was unprecedented and incredibly challenging. We prioritized keeping our employees safe, healthy and productive, while also offering new ways to help employees stay connected in a remote world - and our recent engagement scores confirm these efforts had a positive impact on our culture. We are excited about our hybrid Return to Office plans for the fall and hope to build an even stronger and more vibrant culture after everything we have been through during the pandemic. Additionally, we recently brought on a Head of DE&I to address both diversity hiring and also to help us continue to foster a culture that is inclusive and welcoming to everyone. Best of luck in your career!

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

You'd think its great, but it really isn't - don't work here unless you need to

May 12, 2021 - Social Media Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people to work with - Prestige in the Marketing world

Cons

- High turnover at all levels leads to frequent strategy changes - Toxic work/life balance - Lack of diversity in leadership and especially the SLT - Burnout and "hard work" is glorified and normalized - Poor HR initiatives and benefits to mental health/work life balance when compared to other companies - Nepotism especially with people who used to work with SLT in the past - Budgets are constantly reduced YoY, even when resources are needed - Budgets are not fixed and not flexible for the year, even to adapt to new direction/strategy by leadership - Leadership does not care about 'grunt work' employees - Your title matters if you want to be taken seriously - Leadership is often disconnected with 'entry-level'/'associate' employees - Lack of employee appreciation from leadership - Overwhelming workload - Even with ADA protection, I still had a complete mental breakdown at least 2x each year - Every department works in silos, there's no sense of team work or a collaborative environment

10 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Shutterstock on Glassdoor. While we hope to hear from happy employees and Shutterstock alumni, it is important for us to hear what we are doing well as well as what we need to improve upon. We’re sorry about your experience while working at Shutterstock. This year we’re focused on building strong, collaborative teams, improving transparency so that everyone is aligned with our growth strategy, and building a more diverse and inclusive culture. It’s an exciting time to be a Shutterstock and we strive to see more positive reviews as we continue to evolve. Again, thank you for sharing your experience and insights. We wish you the best of luck in your career!

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company and Culture

Jul 9, 2021 - Marketing Specialist
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people are great and the work life balance is amazing. I feel valued in my job and really enjoy my coworkers.

Cons

The work can be a bit mundane.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Your Team Drives Your Experience!

Jun 8, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Compensation, benefits (M/D/V, 401k), perks (fitness allowance, lunch, snacks, etc), growth/professional development, learning opportunities/exposure for things outside your role.

Cons

Teams can be top-heavy, company and functional goals are clear but methodology to achieve isn't always, commit & move forward isn't always followed.

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Shutterstock. We love all the pros you listed, as it informs us on which benefits our employees value most. We also appreciate your perspective on ways for us to improve. Our Senior Leadership team and Human Resources are working hard to assure that our company principles are more than just words on paper, but rather deeply woven into our day to day culture. Thank you for contributing to our transformation!

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Good opportunity if you make what you can out of it.

Apr 19, 2021 - Enterprise Marketing in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company has a solid brand in the market with lots of potential places to go to expand revenue. If you have an opinion and can back them up with data, people will generally listen and let you push the company in those directions. There is a lot of disruption happening in the creative industry and shutterstock could be a player - or they could stick to selling pictures and eek out 5% growth.

Cons

There are a lot of people who'd rather sit around and complain about things then actually work to make them better. Whether it is company culture, the product or results - people are great at finger pointing instead of working to solve things.

1 person found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review Shutterstock. We know that many candidates visit our Glassdoor page to gain a better understanding of what it is like to work here, so your feedback is really valuable. Moreover, we think your headline hits the nail on the head -- there is so much opportunity at Shutterstock if you commit to being part of the growth strategy. We ARE building a vision of the future of content creation and we are so excited to have people like you, who understand that status quo is never enough, to help us achieve our goals.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee

Intense , but headed in right direction

Apr 16, 2021 - Principal Software Engineer in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and very competitive compensation. Great office if we ever get back to it. Been here a few years and it has absolutely been a challenging place to work and super intense at times. That said the new leadership team seems to be righting the ship and moving the company beyond its legacy business model. The teams are highly collaborative and we finally have a focused product vision and tech strategy with interesting challenges to solve.

Cons

Historically high turnover in leadership . Aggressive goals and timelines with not enough resources. Direction has been very top down and not communicated efficiently

2 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at Shutterstock on Glassdoor. More importantly, thank you for sticking with us during an intense time and understanding that we are sowing the seeds for a visionary content creation platform. Our Talent Acquisition team is working hard to fill jobs as quickly as possible, but we want to find candidates as talented and passionate as you. Reviews like this help our efforts tremendously, as do employee referrals, so if you know anyone terrific who would like to come along for the ride, please reach out to Talent Acquisition and let them know!

9. 2.0
      Former Employee

No longer a tech company

Apr 22, 2021 - Senior Product Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

Aside from leadership, colleagues are smart, supportive, and committed to each other and the customer.

Cons

Leadership, leadership, leadership. What was once an innovative, technology driven company has been taken over by leaders and their friends from legacy corporations. New Head of Product admits to "not being technical" yet was allowed to come in and, within 3 weeks of arriving, drive engineering direction and implement unproven processes which all went unchecked by even the CTO. Insta-Senior Directors with scant product experience were hired seemingly overnight (more friends) with very little vetting while experienced, tenured PMs found themselves at the back of the line. Everything is top down. No opportunity for feedback, pushback, or creative input much less career advancement. Read the recent reviews and it's clear talented PMs are fleeing as fast as they can.

12 people found this review helpful

Shutterstock Response

Thanks for taking the time to share this feedback with us. We’re sorry about your experience while working at Shutterstock. Shutterstock’s incredibly talented Technology team continues to make our creative vision come to life, but it’s true that we are also transforming, and that sometimes means we need to change how we operate and challenge the way we have always done things - and that includes bringing in new leadership with diverse experience to offer new perspectives. We are excited about our future and are making great strides to achieving our goal of becoming an integral part of our customers in creative workflow.. We wish you the best of luck in your future career endeavors.

10. 2.0
      Former Employee

An ok place to work

Jul 21, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company provides free lunch

Cons

Too much politics. Very backbiting culture.

1 person found this review helpful