Silicon Labs Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Systems Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (New York, NY).

Interview

Met Silicon Labs representatives at a career fair at my university. Had a technical chat with an applications engineer and after talking for about 10-15 minutes, he said that I should expect a call within a couple of months. The representative was very professional and friendly. Roughly 3 months later, I got an email from them asking me to schedule for a telephonic interview. A couple of weeks later I had an hour long interview with an engineering hiring manager. He started with behavioral questions and then continued to ask questions about projects on my resume. Then, he tested me a bit on RF basics. The questions were fairly straightforward. Overall, the interviewer was very professional and seemed to be more interested in the methodology of how I got the answers than the answers themselves (which I consider a sign of a good company culture).

Interview Questions

• In-depth questions about projects related to the job description (E.g: Since my projects were mainly in antenna design, I was asked, how do I start designing antennas and which starting parameters do I take into account before starting my design)   1 Answer

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Silicon Labs in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the company recruiter from Austin via LinkedIn, and I phone screened with a senior director of QA in Boston the very next day. I was scheduled for an in person interview in Austin 3 days later.

This was a 2 hour interview with 3 people. This was the most unorganized interview I have ever been invited to. The last interviewer in particular, a new SQA Manager, didn't even come prepared with my resume, he said he had my resume on his cell phone, yet he didn't look at his cell phone once.

This young manager had no sense for how to interview. He would make a general statement, then leave it up to me to extrapolate from that an actual interview question, then attempt to answer that question. Very odd. This guy was such a poor interviewer, the only questions that he could ask were to ask me for specific details with how I was performing QA on my current employers products. I explained to him that this is a breach of my current employer's NDA - disclosing company secrets - but he cut me off mid sentence while saying that, to ask yet another pointless question.

Even though this was not going to be my reporting manager, if I was offered the job, it bothered me that someone that had zero interview skills would ever be promoted to a management position. Without waiting for any type of interview feedback, I emailed the recruiter afterwards to inform him that I would never consider an offer, should one be extended.

Interview Questions

• Tell me exactly how you are performing quality assurance testing of your current employer's products.   1 Answer

Silicon Labs Response

Jun 16, 2017 – Community Relations Specialist

Thank you for the review and the opportunity to discuss your experience with you after your interview. We’re glad you brought this to our attention and want you to know we’re taking your concerns... More

IC Layout Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in March 2017.

Interview

The company contacts school to recruit student. Signed up for interview at school (ACC) and it took 30 min each candidate. The question is not hard and easy. Total 14 people signed up for interview, only 8 get onsite interview. Interestingly those 6 who are not chosen are all Asia(5)n and 1 guy with years of experience. This company has a reputation of discriminated against minority and only pick young people. If you are minority, you won't have chance. People who work there also agree with the way they hire people but not dare to say. They should be investigated about hiring policy and practice.

Interview Questions

• Most question are technical. Couple of not related to anything.   Answer Question

Silicon Labs Response

Apr 30, 2017 – Community Relations Specialist

We’re sorry to hear you had a negative experience during your conversations with Silicon Labs. We value diversity and take your comments seriously. While our managers use consistent frameworks for... More

Applications Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied over my University's website and received a 30 mins technical interview about MCUs one week later. During the interview, the recruiter asked 3 questions about microcontrollers. Overall, the process went smoothly.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Houston, TX) in February 2017.

Interview

I approached them at the career fair, and they reached out via phone. Had a 1 hour behavioral/technical interview the next day, and was told that I'd be a good fit.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in December 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with basic data structure and low level software questions. Then some behavioral questions about past internships, projects, type of future career I am interested in. Finally some random trivia type questions relating to OOP, databases, and python.

Interview Questions

• How would you perform (insert bit manipulation task here) with registers in assembly.   Answer Question
    • How would you implement basic linked list operations (insertion, find, etc.)   Answer Question

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Silicon Labs in June 2016.

Interview

One round phone interview
    Onsite interview- eight stages - each 45 minute

Interviewers were friendly. Most of the interview rounds started on questions about my previous work experience.
    Since the role needed expertise in testbench bring up, a lot of questions were asked on UVM, its usage. A sample program was provided and asked to explain what its output will be. Some more questions on example scenarios (simple memory read/write operation) and what the test plan/approach would be. Every interviewer was courteous and maintained their schedule(seems they stick to their schedule religiously - I liked it)

Interview Questions

• how would you delete an object in SV? what happens when you assign a parent to child? Explain UPF and what we can accomplish using it?   Answer Question
    • what would happen in the following case?

class my_class ;

endclass

my_class my_object;

my_class array[N:1];

my_object=new ();

for (i=0;i<N;i++)
      array[i] = my_object;   Answer Question
    • How would you count the number of objects you created for a particular class?   Answer Question

Product Launch Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (Austin, TX) in April 2016.

Interview

Extremely professional!

Applied online. Then received Initial phone call outreach. Then scheduled a phone interview with manager. Once phone interview was complete, offer was received in the same week. Very friendly. They were there and able to answer any/all of my questions. The process was not arduous and very streamlined/efficient.

MEMS Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silicon Labs (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Then I got a phone interview by the recruiter. After 2 days I got a phone interview by the hiring Manager. 10 days later I got a on site interview in San JOse. The onsite interview was a mix of presentation and face to face interviews with the team members. Including interview during the lunch time. I also used whit me board to explain some equations and physical principles of MEMS phenomena.

Interview Questions

• What is the ration between the length of Longitudinal Acoustic Resonator and its frequency   Answer Question
    • What is a Corriolis Vibratori Gyroscope   Answer Question

Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Silicon Labs in February 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume at University Career Fair last October. Received a phone screening with their HR representative last December and to schedule the phone interview. The first phone interview conducted with a project manager in January, 2016, and I received another phone interview with senior designer of another group in February and get offer.

Interview Questions

• What's your previous design experience of wireless transceiver with Simulink?   Answer Question