Silverchair Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Silverchair

3.1

Associate Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in December 2017.

Interview

I originally applied for Associate SQA. I submitted my application online. I had an inside contact so I immediately passed the HR phone screen and was told I'd be contacted by the hiring manager. The hiring manager then had a phone interview with me, and told me at the end of the call he wanted to have me come in and interview with ~6-8 team members (~3hours). Once that was done, around four days later, I was contact by the recruiter and told I was being considered for a different position and she called me along with the hiring manager for the new position (Associate Business Analyst). I was asked to come in for one last in-person interview, which they kindly kept short because they knew I couldn't be away for very long. A few business days later, I was sent an offer letter. I felt as though everything was expedited since this was right before Christmas/New Year's and I think (or at the very least hope) they were enthusiastic about me as a candidate.

Interview Questions

• What makes you excited or draws you to this role?   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with people who seem to block or hinder you regularly?   1 Answer

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2017.

Interview

I had (2) phone interviews, one with HR and one with the Controller. I then came in for an in-person interview with 6 people from various departments. The whole interview process was very positive! HR did a wonderful job keeping me informed on what to expect next. I was offered the position which I accepted. I'm really looking forward to starting my new job with this company.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Nov 8, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the great feedback! We are really excited you are joining the team. Can't wait to work together.

Client Service Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2019.

Interview

Very friendly and smooth, very quick response. They help you through the interview process very thoroughly. As long as you are prepared, the interview process should be very smooth.

Interview Questions

• Why did you want to work for Silverchair?   1 Answer

Mar 25, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback.
    We try and make the experience easy and smooth. Sounds like we accomplished both.
    Welcome to the team!

Software Developer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair.

Interview

There were two phone screenings then two face to face interviews. Everyone was friendly and helpful and gauged if it would be a good place for me to work in addition to seeing if I was the right fit for them. They will answer any questions you have about the company. It was an overall good interview process.

Interview Questions

Silverchair Response

Nov 17, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback. We are excited to have you on the team!

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in March 2019.

Interview

I talked with the recruiter by phone and he sent an invitation to interview shortly after. The date of the interview was flexible and we mutually agreed to have the interview a week and half later. I met with several team members (technical leads, directors, scrum master, product and a business analyst, and chief people officer) during the interview, each for either 30 minutes or an hour. The interview lasted about 3 hours total with an hour for lunch with the recruiter in between. I was able to take breaks and was provided a tour of the office spaces. The staff who interviewed me made the process very smooth, it felt more like a conversation the entire time and I learned a lot about the company model, expectations of my team and even technical aspects of the platform and agile system during the process. The first hour was very technical and the rest of the day was more cultural and big picture; I was able to ask questions specific to each staff member during the entire day. Overall, the interview and process was well-structured and I knew what to expect at every stage. This was one of the best interview processes I've been through and the length of time was also ideal.

Interview Questions

• How have you used refactoring in your code and what does clean code mean to me?   1 Answer

Mar 25, 2019 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for the feedback. We are so happy you had a positive experience.
    Welcome to the team!

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2016.

Interview

After a phone pre-screen, I was sent a problem to solve. I created a small program to do the work requested and sent it back. After that, I had an in person technical interview which was very thorough. The next step was an interview with several executive level people. I felt that the questions and interviews were set up to find out who I was, what I knew and whether or not I would fit in at Silverchair.

Interview Questions

• On a recent review, what was one negative thing that was noted.   Answer Question

Negotiation

An offer was made, I countered and a new offer was made, which I accepted.

Aug 9, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thanks for the feedback. Our interviews can be difficult because we are trying to find the best - you made it! Welcome to the team.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process went smoothly and somewhat quickly. I started out with a phone conversation with the company recruiter and we spoke mainly about my resume and why I am interested in Silverchair. I had the experience desired, so the recruiter pushed me on to a phone interview with the Associate Director of Project Management. This occurred the next day after the initial conversation with the recruiter. Very similar discussion with the Associate Director was had with a focus on further details about my experience. At the end of my call, the Associate Director knew she wanted to move to the next round. Next was a 1 hour, onsite interview with the Associate Director of Project Management and a Senior Project Manager at the company which happened probably a week after the initial phone call. We dug into my experience, some success and failures I had been through professionally, and personality meshing. I felt very good leaving this interview as I was able to answer all questions and my experience was very relevant for what Silverchair needed. I was contacted that afternoon requesting a final onsite interview with more of the executive team. A week later, I was back onsite for that final interview, 3.5 hours, where I met with multiple members of the executive team including Director of PMO, Chief People Officer, Director of Product Strategy, and more. During this round, each team member wanted some clarification on my involvement with my previous employer, asked me scenario based questions like what would I do in this situation, and offered me opportunities to ask questions of my own. That afternoon after the final interview, an offer was submitted to me.

Overall I was very comfortable during the entire process and have no complaints with how it was handled.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you came back from vacation, and you had 2000 emails to read through? How would you choose in which order you would begin reading and addressing them?   Answer Question

Sep 9, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Thank you! We're happy to hear the process was positive for you. Welcome to the team!

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview process was incredibly comprehensive, requiring four different meetings, both telephonic and in person. It began with a phone screening, and was followed by a phone interview with the direct supervisor to the position. Following that, I was asked to come back for an in person interview with a panel of individuals that would directly impact the position. The last step was another in person panel interview with additional members of the company that did not have direct impact to the position. I felt that this process was really beneficial both for the company and myself. I was able to meet a sample of the people in the workplace and determine how I would work with them, and how I might fit in with them. They were also able to assess my presentation, and how I might insert myself into the culture of the organization. Everyone involved was incredibly friendly, welcoming, and professional. I have never felt more comfortable or easy during an interview. It is by far the best interview process I've experienced.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a story about yourself that you saw as a defining moment in your life and what that meant for you.   Answer Question

Aug 3, 2016 – Chief People Officer

Thank you very much for the feedback. Welcome to the team.

Anonymous Employee in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in July 2016.

Interview

The entire process started with an online job posting (located via LinkedIn Jobs).
    Then, step 2, after applying, I spoke with a recruiter for an initial phone screen. The recruiter explained the hiring process as well as outlined the company culture.
    Step 3 has a phone interview to discuss my background and experience, and confirm that I knew what I was talking about in the fundamental skills required to do the job. This interview challenged me with examples of both successful and failed projects, and the reviewer drilled into why the failures occurred -- but the focus wasn't that of a 'blame game' but rather to see what lessons were learned by me from the experience. There was plenty of time for me to ask questions, as well -- Silverchair understands that not only is the company shopping for the hire, the applicant is shopping for a home.
    Step 4 would have been a face-to-face with the direct hiring manager and a director of the client relations department, but in my case (relocation) we used Skype. In both 30 min interviews, Silverchair asked me more about by experience and for examples of how I overcame challenges. Again, I was given ample opportunity to ask questions about the company culture, expectations, and general "feel".
    Step 5 was the final round of interviews. Again, this would have been face-to-face, but as a remote applicant we utilized Video Conferencing via GoToMeeting. The final round was 3.5 hours; a half hour with department leaders (not in the primary area of Project Management but in the Business Analysis and Marketing). This is more a cultural interview -- did I fit in a corporate culture that's open and learning based? A second session was with Executives - Sr VP level. Again, this was more a cultural fit -- and the questions were about how I would react to adverse situations and how i would handle escalations to Sr Management. Finally, I spent almost an hour with the head of HR, called a Chief People Officer. I liked that right off because people are people first, resources second. Once again, the questions were more around personal fit -- why did I want to work for Silverchair? Why was I leaving my existing firm? What were my career goals. Again, plenty of time for me to ask questions back, too.
    Step 6 was the offer, and there was no need for negotiation. During the first phone screen with the recruiter, we covered salary expectations and timing, and the offer matched that discussion.

I really enjoyed the interview process with Silverchair – the Company seemed to express interest in me and confirm I’d be a good fit in the culture as well as competent in the job expectations, and I really appreciate that. Other firms in my history have not looked beyond the “what can you do for me” part of that question, and Silverchair communicated to me that this relationship was indeed a two-way street.

Interview Questions

Silverchair Response

Aug 3, 2016 – Chief People Officer

So glad to hear that you feel like the process was open and friendly. Our goal is for everyone, us and the candidate, to feel like this is the absolute right place. We are really excited for you to... More

Customer Success Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Silverchair (Charlottesville, VA) in September 2018.

Interview

Applied for the role online and a few days later I got an email requesting a time to have a phone screen with the hiring manager. Phone screen was pretty simple, getting a feel for my background and what is expected of the role. A few days after the phone screen the recruiter sent an email requesting a time to meet several members of the team in person.
    The in person interview was about a two hours long meeting with several members of the team who work directly with that role. Since the role is new in the company, it was hard getting a straight answer in regards to goals and expectations. Most just repeated the motto "work hard play hard."

After the interview, I waited a week and I sent a follow-up email to the recruiter. No response. Waited a week and sent an email to my HR contact at the company and was told she was on coming back from vacation and she would follow up with the team about next steps. Another week went by with no response, so I sent one last email before considering it a lost cause. Minutes later I was sent a very short email saying they weren't moving forward.

The people I met were nice and up until the in-person interview it seemed to be an efficient process. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but I think once you meet a candidate you should have respect for their time and keep them informed if you won't be moving forward. So three out of four stars.