Sledgehammer Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sledgehammer Games Interview Questions

Interviews at Sledgehammer Games

2.9

Narrative Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games.

Interview

It was a 30 minute call. The interviewers were nice. I didn't get an offer but I felt like I had good practice. If they were to post another job position, I would apply again. The only bad thing is that the recruiters weren't that timely in getting back to me and I had to hound them down with multiple emails to hear back.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions of what I think works about certain games.   Answer Question

Sound Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (San Francisco, CA) in September 2020.

Interview

Very straight forward. They focus mainly on you sound design skills. They go straight and send you the test if they like your portfolio. That's all there is all this other words is just because this stupid site wants at least 30

Interview Questions

• I did not get one single question prior to submitting my test   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games in June 2020.

Interview

Interviewed with team lead first, he was nice, basic interview questions, nothing too technical. He may have been a bit distracted (working from home during covid). Second round with some of the team the next week, all were perfectly nice and professional.
    First got turned down for the job, but got an email the next Monday. Their first choice must have turned them down perhaps.
    Background check is a bit annoying. They're almost requesting more info than when I got my secret clearance for my previous job.
    No art test surprisingly.

Interview Questions

• General artistic and technical question. Nothing over the top.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in October 2019.

Interview

1. HR telephone screen, general HR questions.
    2. Technical telephone screen, general technical questions, work experience.
    3. On site interview, talked to hr, programmer team, artists team , technical artist team on quite a lot of topics, ranging from team current situation , math to deep learning.
    4. Sorcerer talked me through the offer .
    5. Accept the offer.

Team is friendly knowledgeable and lot of fun.

Interview Questions

• Calculate camera frustum culling a sphere.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever tried to use real world physics to create anything in game?   Answer Question

Lead Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in July 2019.

Interview

An Activision recruiter reached out to me as my work experience was a decent fit, after calls with the recruiter and director I was brought in for an on-site to meet with the team.

Interview Questions

• What makes a good CoD multiplayer map?   1 Answer

Associate Level Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

Applied and interviewed over the phone with 2-3 people before receiving a request to submit a design test with a week to finish it. Moved onto an onsite interview where I was scheduled to meet for half the day with a marathon of five different groups of people. All sessions were 1:1 except for when I met with the other level designers to talk about my design test. Expect to know what you did well and what could be improved, and if something was taken away how you would fix it, etc. Later, I met with a programmer who asked me a technical problem on the whiteboard, and I honestly really struggled. He definitely knew, and helped walk me through it, which despite being hard for me, was a good experience. Ended the day with lunch and a more casual conversation with someone who I had already interviewed with previously on the phone. Left after a full tour of the studio by the recruiter. Overall a great learning experience and a nice time meeting new people, regardless of the outcome.

Interview Questions

• A lot of typical interview questions based on my resume and past experiences   Answer Question

Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

I applied late March on the sledgehammer website, 2.5 months later I got a email saying the position was filled. A week after that I got a text and call from HR asking to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to go back into the video game industry ?   1 Answer

Associate Environment Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games in May 2018.

Interview

I originally applied online for the regular Environment Artist position, but it seemed like they had a position for a recent grad like me. The recruiter contacted me through text. It was difficult trying to schedule for an interview. We had to reschedule multiple times because the recruiter was always called in for meetings, so I usually waited for more than an hour each time. The recruiter was very friendly though and very informative. After the phone interview, he sent me the art test. Two weeks after I submitted the art test, I was told that I didn't get the position.

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Very unprofessional took weeks to set up in person interview. Sent out response emails and never got a reply. Interview process was easy. Being passionate for the position doesn't get the job.

3D Character Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Unprofessional overall. Interviewed in a vacant office with boxes strewn allover the place. Didn't even have a computer/monitor set up to look at my portfolio, was I supposed to bring my own ipad or something? A roulette of people that mostly don't even want to be there interviewing you, sometimes people that you will never even see again or work with. Act like they would rather be anywhere else than take you out to lunch and casually converse with you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very aggressive and pushy. Felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman the whole time. I will say some recruiters there are better than others though.