Sledgehammer Games Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sledgehammer Games Interview Questions

Interviews at Sledgehammer Games

Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

I contacted the recruiter at that time on LinkedIn, expressing my interest and showed my portfolio. The recruiter sent me an art test. The art test was fast, and I did lose sleep.

Next I had a phone interview with an HR person, then a Skype interview with my lead. He pointed out some areas of the art test that could be improved. I made the improvements and resubmitted.

Then I had a Skype marathon interview with 4 groups of 2-3 people, which in total lasted 2-3 hours. After that I received a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Explain your workflow on creating the art test.
      What would be your favorite thing to model?
      How would you go about creating a realistic asset without photo reference?   Answer Question

3D Artist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games.

Interview

In the interview I was told that at the rate I asked for I would not receive overtime pay. The impression I got was that people there were working almost every weekend for months.

3D Character Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA).

Interview

Unprofessional overall. Interviewed in a vacant office with boxes strewn allover the place. Didn't even have a computer/monitor set up to look at my portfolio, was I supposed to bring my own ipad or something? A roulette of people that mostly don't even want to be there interviewing you, sometimes people that you will never even see again or work with. Act like they would rather be anywhere else than take you out to lunch and casually converse with you.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Very aggressive and pushy. Felt like I was dealing with a used car salesman the whole time. I will say some recruiters there are better than others though.

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

was interviewed by
    -designers who tried to understand how well i worked with designers and to see if I was savy enough to see my animation through to the game engine.
    -producer who was trying to get an understanding of my work ethic and time management skills.
    -animators who were curious about my demo reel and what my process were in creating my shots.
    -animation director who was more about letting me know about the structure of the team and the culture.
    -technical animators who trying to see the level of my technical skills and understanding of maya and its tools.

Interview Questions

• what was the hardest shot you did on your reel and why?   Answer Question

Senior Animator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Started things off with a brief conversation with a Senior Recruiter to see if there were any positions that matched my skill set. Set up an onsite interview to meet with some of the key members of the team. Interviewed with 4 groups of 2 from different disciplines. Follow up phone calls with the Senior recruiter afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Previous experiences. Animation related questions. Technical animation related questions. My workflow.   1 Answer

Senior Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

The hiring process took about 2 weeks and it was of the standard fare. Phone interview, on-site interview, an art test, and then an offer. The only difference was the art test being done after the onsite interview which caught me by surprise. But it might have helped knowing that I have a good personality and only needed to reinforce that with my skills.

Game Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

I applied late March on the sledgehammer website, 2.5 months later I got a email saying the position was filled. A week after that I got a text and call from HR asking to come in for an interview.

Interview Questions

• What makes you want to go back into the video game industry ?   1 Answer

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Very unprofessional took weeks to set up in person interview. Sent out response emails and never got a reply. Interview process was easy. Being passionate for the position doesn't get the job.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games (Foster City, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Big waste of time - don't bother.

I applied back in January 2016. They didn't respond until April of 2016. Took several weeks after each step to get back to me. They're very slow.

2 Phone interviews
    Standard stuff, asking why Sledgehammer, about my background etc. Basic Screening.

Coding challenge
    Standard as well, except extremely long. They had 10 written answers, 1 moderate challenge and 1 difficult challenge. Took quite a bit longer than other companies.

Whiteboard coding challenge
    This was pretty easy. Worked with some other candidates to solve and identify a problem. I believe it was more to see how you would work with the team and communicate with others, not so much of a technical challenge.

Interview Panel
    Asked lots of questions. Some google style questions that everyone knows doesn't mean anything. Some of the people that were asking about my position didn't even know what they were talking about, seemed like HR type of people so not sure why the engineers weren't asking those questions.

I received an offer that was a good $20-$40k less than what I was already making. Based on the reviews on the company, I knew they weren't paying as much, but I didn't know it would be that bad. Apparently they give you bonuses based on the number of games they sell. Many people say that the bonuses aren't that big, and if you're shipping one game every 3 years, that's not a lot of bonuses.

Obviously declined the offer, since they aren't even paying what I'm getting now. I don't know how much people work here, but from what I gathered as well, lots of them are working on weekends and since it's salary you won't get any overtime.

tl;dr - don't bother with this place. They don't pay well and you'll be working out of the wazoo.

Interview Questions

• Mostly about previous work experiences and my abilities to complete my duties/tasks.   Answer Question

Associate Environment Artist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sledgehammer Games in May 2018.

Interview

I originally applied online for the regular Environment Artist position, but it seemed like they had a position for a recent grad like me. The recruiter contacted me through text. It was difficult trying to schedule for an interview. We had to reschedule multiple times because the recruiter was always called in for meetings, so I usually waited for more than an hour each time. The recruiter was very friendly though and very informative. After the phone interview, he sent me the art test. Two weeks after I submitted the art test, I was told that I didn't get the position.