Software Technology Group (UT) Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.8

Design Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me and took me to lunch. He gave me background on the company and got a feel for my history and skills. We discussed what I was looking for and my compensation goals. He scheduled me for a "tech" (a technical competency) with one of their design leads. The recruiter got in touch after the tech and gave me the results and expressed interest in moving forward. He then began sending me potential client contracts to consider. Interest on my side and on the client side resulted in an interview with the client. After that interview, STG expressed enthusiasm in bringing me on full time once the client made an offer. The offer came and I was hired.

Interview Questions

• In my "tech" review, I was asked about UX process, about personas, about how I present my work / talk about my designs.

One specific question: "What is the best mistake you've ever made"   Answer Question

Prefer Not to Disclose Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (New York, NY).

Interview

Initially, the process was very professional and timely. The recruiter called right on schedule and was very welcoming and easygoing, asking about my resume and seeing if I was a fit for the company. When round two rolled around, I interviewed with a tech lead who asked me about (basic) terminology and my creative process. They were very informative and just as nice. When that was finished, I later had a short call with the recruiter again explaining they would review my application with my interview and get back to me within the week.

The week went by and I gave the recruiter a couple of extra days before emailing them to ask about the status of my application. Another week went by without a response. I sent another email. Same result. I sent in one last email and—surprise—no response. I gave up and was fortunate to have a job offer elsewhere, which I accepted.

In the end, I did get a response from the recruiter a month later apologizing for the lack of communication.

.NET Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

It depends on whether you're interviewed by a developer, or manager. You will interview with STG, initially, and I didn't consider that interview very difficult, although that would likely depend on the position they're considering you for. You need to be able to talk intelligently about development, and be very honest about where your strengths and weaknesses are. Usually, you'll need to interview with a client, as well, prior to being hired. Each client interview is different, because that is completely up to them. So you'll need to brush up on your interview skills, even if you passed the STG interview with flying colors, and be ready for client interviews, every time you start with a new client.

Interview Questions

• I can't honestly remember. It was quite long ago, but if memory serves, it was a question on threading that stumped me, since I hadn't done much of it, and most of my experience had been web based.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT).

Interview

Overall, this was a very straight forward interview. Very professional, but not too hard.

Interview Questions

• It's not the STG interview that was hard, but the client interview that is more difficult   Answer Question

Interview

The interview wasn't to difficult technically. They seem to want to make sure that you have the right personality to blend well with a wide variety of clients, which makes sense in a consulting group.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Fairly typical.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2013.

Interview

Initial interview was scheduled by phone call and confirmed by email. First interview was with recruiter in HR. Comfortable, friendly conversation, rather than a grilling interview. Interviewer spent some time explaining the history of the company and why the CEO created the company, and how he cares about employees. Given tour of facilities, and description of working environment and employee friendly environment. Was told there would be follow-up technical phone interview with development staff later. Technical phone interview has not been scheduled yet, but it has only been a week so far.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years with us?   1 Answer

Senior Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT).

Interview

In person interview with fairly standard questions. Fairly conversational approach. Interviewer was friendly and spent a good deal of time talking about the company. After interviews with company you have to do interviews with clients to get job. This part seemed to take a long time and there were gaps in communication. Not as bad as working with a temp company though.

Interview Questions

• Wasn't any question that was really difficult. Most challenging team experience was a little challenging.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Seemed like they made an offer based on what they knew I was making and what I was expecting. The company doesn't seem to have any real compensation approach or philosophy. Small company mentality.

Programmer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2013.

Interview

Tech recruiter found my resume online and wanted me to come in for an interview. Talked a bit about my background and what my goals were for the future. Discussed the company culture and how their projects typically work. It was not a technical interview, more general questions.

At the end, the recruiter sounded interested and said I would be hearing from him the following week. That was the last time I heard from him. I have sent several emails and have not received a single response. Real shame too, sounded like a great opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What are your career goals? Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2012.

Interview

The whole thing took a long time! I was sure at multiple points that they weren't interested, if I hadn't kept emailing I am SURE I would not have got the job.

1. Was called after submitting resume to Monster
    2. Initial lunch meeting with management
    3. Technical phone interview -- very easy.
    4. Interview with client

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I low balled them because I really wanted the job, and they came back with a better offer. So it worked out nicely.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Software Technology Group (UT) (Salt Lake City, UT) in August 2010.

Interview

Initial interview is with a hiring consultant, and later with an account manager. This is typically followed with an interview with the client with the STG account manager present.

Interview Questions

• Discuss current technologies you're familiar with -- STG is looking for relevance and specific skill sets.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Painless