Software Technology Group (UT) Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Software Technology Group (UT) CEO Jeff Soderberg
Jeff Soderberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Mainframe COBOL developer"

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time

Pros

They took good care of their employees. A very good trusting leadership team.

Cons

Nothing to complain about here............................................

Advice to Management

Keep up the goooooooooooooood work.

2. "Good guys for consulting"

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time

Pros

Great Leadership and great opportunities to do different things

Cons

A program to help train consultants would be good, but they are greaf5

Jun 19, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad that you had a great experience at STG. We have developed a training program for our employees called a "career development plan." It allows employees to grow... More

3. "STG Does the Right Thing"

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) part-time

Pros

STG is a great company to work for. It is a people-oriented company that values its employees and treats them well. I appreciate the feedback I receive to help in my overall career development and plan. I love working at STG!

Cons

We have a lot of company lunches - good thing STG also promotes its wellness program.

Advice to Management

Keep giving valuable feedback and continuing to do the right thing for your employees and clients.

May 15, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We are so happy that you are having a good experience at STG! We are also glad you are taking part of the wellness program. :) Thank you for your feedback!

"Fantastic Company to work for"

Current Employee - Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have loved working with STG. From top to bottom they are a great company to work for. The open door policy with everybody in the company is a refreshing experience from other companies that I have worked for. I also like that they give me real feedback on how to improve my career and be a better developer. The career development plans that they help you setup were a huge benefit to me in helping steer my career that right way to maximize my marketability and my earning potential. I have worked with other companies that you just wander along wondering if you are doing well or not, that is not a problem with STG. The dev center was an incredible opportunity for me to sharpen my skills between projects. I love the ability to bank OT to PTO.

Cons

Consulting requires adapting to change and different environments. STG does a great job trying to find you the right thing, but if you struggle with change, it might not be a great job for you.

Advice to Management

Please keep giving the productive feedback that you are! I don't think you have any plans of stopping, but it was very crucial for me improving my career.

May 22, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are so happy that you have had a great experience here at STG!

5. "Keeping it real"

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time

Pros

I love what I do and the flexibility is amazing.

Cons

The leadership has lost connection with the culture they pride themselves in. Putting people first is now becoming profits and numbers. A drop in top numbers for a few weeks and you are given the opportunity to find new employment...with a smile of course. They claim it's not political but it is. The current executives have lost touch with what it means to care about the people.

Apr 25, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! It takes courage to talk about your concerns! STG always tries to make sure that our employees are marketable and can be on any engagement with our clients. We... More

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company shows great interest in the development and lifestyle of their employees. Wonderful to work for.

Cons

May give up on you on a down turn if your skills don't match what they can find for you.

Apr 25, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your comment - we are always helping our employees to grow their skills and help them stay marketable for projects. We would love to talk more to you about any feedback you have. Please... More

"Great Company!"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Software Technology Group (STG) is wholly dedicated to the success of its employees. Work/life balance is a primary concern, which is unusual in the field of consulting. Unlike other consulting firms, STG does not cut employees loose between assignments. After an engagement concludes, your salary and benefits remain at 100%, and you are only expected to learn and make yourself more marketable while the wonderful folks in the sales department line you up with a new opportunity.

Cons

The gray cloud of the consulting career's silver lining is that there is little room for upward mobility. While STG always pays its employees what the market will bear, the assignments and responsibilities of each engagement (ie, the things that populate your resume) are solely controlled by the company to whom you're assigned. This is true of the consulting industry as a whole, though; it is not particular to STG.

Advice to Management

Pro: Keep reaching! The management team sets realistic but ambitious goals every year, and they inspire their employees to reach them.

Con: Unfortunately, there is some perceived nepotism on the part of many employees. Indeed, there are a few common family names on staff. They are all nice folks, and (from my experience) capable and hard-working. But the perception lingers, and I don't know how to address it without looking for talent among non-relatives.

Apr 25, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you so much for your feedback! We will take a look at all of the suggestions you gave and see where there are areas of improvement. We are also very glad that you are enjoying your time at STG!

"Awesome people-focused company"

Current Employee - Design Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Design Consultant in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Software Technology Group (UT) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, good benefits, great people! There's a program for banking overtime worked as PTO hours. Atmosphere of improvement and growth. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Since you're a consultant, it's all about billable hours (understandable) which means no sick leave. If you're sick and can't work, you use PTO or make up hours. Makes sense, but for some this could be a turn-off.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! As you grow, work hard to keep the same spirit and care you have today.

Apr 25, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your feedback! We are so glad that things are going well and that you are enjoying the atmosphere at STG!

9. "Great Company"

Pros

Family oriented company with a great work/life balance. High energy and a solid emphasis on training and mentoring consultants and staff alike.

Cons

No cons that I can think of. :)

10. "One of the best places I have worked and plan/hope to stay a while."

Pros

Culture, people, benefits, flexibility and reputation.

Cons

Sometimes too much going on to track it all, but better than nothing going on!

Advice to Management

Try to retain small business attitude, while growing.