Sonoma Partners Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 14, 2017

3.4

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1: Initial phone interview with recruiter. 2: Call with hiring manager. 3: VP of Sales interview. 4: Web presentation. 5: Online test. 6: Onsite Interview at HQ. Onsite HQ interview includes face to face with hiring manager, VP, peer, CEO, and recruiter.

Interview Questions

• Do a Sonoma Overview presentation. How would you build out your territory with $x from marketing?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the position at the beginning of November. Initially I was contacted by a recruiter to reject my application - however, a week later, another recruiter sent me a link to a skills assessment, thus furthering my application. After the skills assessment came a phone screen with the recruiter, then the next day a phone screen with the HR Director. Two weeks later I went in for a half-day group interview. In preparation for that interview, I was asked to complete a pre-interview assessment to test my job strengths, and to complete a pre-interview activity consisting of some in-depth research.

During the interview I met with 5 individuals total - the recruiter and HR Director I'd spoken to previous, a VP in the company, and two individuals who had held the role previously. I interviewed with the VP first, then the HR Director. Then I was asked to complete an on-site activity consisting of two parts, which was designed to test prioritization and multi-tasking abilities. This was a timed activity, and after 20 minutes the entire group came in to view my results of both the on-site and pre-interview activities. After this was lunch with the HR Director and the two previous Office Coordinators, where I got to speak more causally and learn more about the position and company. After this was a final interview with the recruiter.

This was a mid-week interview, and I was told I would hear from the recruiter by the end of the week. I did hear from her, but learned that I would have to wait another week and a half for a final decision, as other candidates were being reviewed. As promised, I heard from her the day she set, and was turned down for the position. They have a policy not to disclose interview feedback, which I found disappointing as I'm sure it would help me in my future pursuits.

Overall my experience was positive, though I felt a little lead on toward the end of the process. I was turned down for a justifiable (though I would argue small) reason involving my work with the on-site activity, though there very well could have been many other reasons that were not disclosed to me. However when I spoke with multiple people on the panel, my shortcoming in this area was brushed off as common, or not a big deal/negative.

Everyone I met was very nice and engaging, and I feel as though the culture at Sonoma Partners is fun and supportive of employees. Their interview process is difficult and stressful, which I guess is their way of weeding out the best candidates.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you failed, or didn't live up to your potential   Answer Question
    • What is your proudest accomplishment on the job?   Answer Question
    • What will you bring to this role that none of our other candidates will?   Answer Question

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied at a local career fair. Was contacted and asked to complete a coding skills assessment. After successful completion Sonoma conducted a phone interview. After the interview I was asked to complete a second round of coding skills assessments.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I had a Phone screen, developer test, in person interview with head of development, 2 senior developers, and a developer manager. The people were all very nice and the interview process was smooth

Interview Questions

• Fizz Buzz, recursion, object oriented programming basic questions   Answer Question

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Interview process as outlined:

Online test (over 30 questions multiple choice)
    phone screening
    Writing assessment/example
    phone interview with hiring manager
    in-office interview

After applying, Somoma will have you take a test online about topics specific to the position. Once passing the test there was a phone interview with an HR rep. The HR rep scheduled a phone interview with me but never called. She didn't even notify me ahead of time that she needed to reschedule. I heard from her about 30 minutes after the time we scheduled that she missed her calendar notification so we rescheduled for the following day. The phone interview was brief and I was asked very basic questions.

After the interview, the next step was for me to write up a one page case study based on any video on their YouTube page that Sonoma could promote on their site. I was hesitant to do this as I don't always consider it a good idea to do work for free. Is this a clever/shady way for Sonoma to refresh their content without having to pay for it? Will I even receive feedback if I'm not asked to move on to the next step? On top of all this, even if I passed the writing portion of the interview, I would only be guaranteed another phone interview.

My reservations about this interview process all came to fruition. I fully understand that Sonoma's only priority here is to hire a new candidate they feel is qualified and adequately prepared to take on a position with their company, not help the people they don't hire. But for the candidates that don't get hired, they're left with nothing for their work. It took me hours to put together that case study and all I know is it wasn't good enough. Nothing else.

But truth be told, I don't know if that was actually the case because I was never told anyone even read it. There's no way to tell.

Many industries complain about a major talent gap. Fair enough. But how will the talent improve if it doesn't know what they're lacking?

Maybe the case study I wrote for Sonoma sucked, maybe my skill set isn't up-to-par, but at least give me some feedback and show some professional courtesy.

Interview Questions

• The only questions asked in the phone screening were basic background questions - what types of content have your written? have you managed a marketing event? Why do you want to leave your company? What drew you to Sonoma? etc. No tough questions or trick questions.   Answer Question

Sonoma Partners Response

Apr 5, 2016 – Sr. Recruiter

We appreciate the time you invested in our interview process and we’re sorry you had a negative experience. We continually look for ways to improve our process and your feedback helps us do that ... More

Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through the company website. Within days, a recruiter contacted me and sent me a link to complete an online skills assessment. The assessment contained excel and marketing questions. She emailed me and said I passed and then scheduled a phone screen with her. After the phone screen, she asked me to complete a case study and marketing email that would be forwarded to the hiring manager. The hiring manager approved of my work and I was scheduled for a phone interview with her. This phone interview consisted of more in depth questions on my previous work experience. Afterwards, the recruiter emailed me to say they wanted me to come in for an in person interview. Before the in person interview, I was emailed another assessment which was more of a personality test. When I arrived on site, I was given a writing exercise to complete and later go over. During the half day I was there, I met with four different people, and I was taken out to lunch. In the last interview of the day, the interviewer asked if I had looked at the company Glassdoor reviews. I said I had, and he expressed displeasure with the company reviews and said he wished he could post similar reviews of his employees. That was the only odd part of the interview day, the rest was normal work experience questions.

Overall the process consisted of:
    Skills Assessment
    Phone Screen w/ HR
    Case Study/Marketing Email
    Phone Interview w/ hiring manager
    Talent Assessment
    Half day in person interview with writing exercise

I understand the company wants to be thorough and hire the right person, however, I think this process was unnecessarily long and complicated. They really make you jump through too many hoops, especially since this was not even a management role.

Interview Questions

• Did you look at our Glassdoor review? What did you think of it?   Answer Question

Associate Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

I began by applying to my college school board online and received a request to complete an online assessment exam within a week. The exam was ~25 questions and was time at 30 minutes. It covered a lot of technical details about C#, JS, and SQL.

After completing that, I received an email from a recruiter asking for a phone interview. In this first phone interview, I was asked about my technical background, interests, what attracted me to the company and so on.

After that, I was given a developer test in Java in which I had to complete four functions and make sure they passed their given tests, plus any other tests you can add yourself to ensure all cases were covered. The functions were checking overlapping times between two dates, finding a substring in a string, building a binary tree using recursion, and finding a prime number. You are given a week to complete this and send it back, and I don't think it looks better or worse if you take your time as they interview a lot of busy college kids.

About 3-4 days after submitting my test back, I received an email setting up another phone interview with one of their development principals. This phone interview has two parts. First, you screen share with the developer and do a live coding session in C#. After the coding session was done, I was asked again about my technical background, but went into details and specifics a bit more. Then I had time to ask questions about Sonoma Partners and their development process specifically.

The last step of the interview process was to come on-site for a 4-5 hour interview process in which have four different interviews with recruiting, developers, group sessions, and a lunch to top everything off. In the group session, you are asked to do a whiteboard brainstorm of a simple board game(I won't be any more specific) in which you show off your thinking/planning process rather than your coding.

The very next day I received a call back towards the end of the day with an offer!

All in all, it was a great experience even if I had not received an offer. Getting to go through a real extensive interview process taught me a lot about what it takes to make it in the real world.

Interview Questions

• Q: What interested you in applying for Sonoma Partners?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I submitted my resume through Sonoma Partners' website. After three days, I was contacted via email and asked to complete a skills test. Four days after that, I received an email telling me they wanted to proceed with a phone interview.

The woman from SP called and conducted my interview process. As mentioned below, the phone interview asked all very standard questions. What I immediately found concerning was how she sped through her questions and was incredibly short with me. It was evident she did not want to be conducting this phone interview. There was a point in the interview where I asked some personal questions I had for her about the company and heard an audible *sigh* from her over the phone. Needless to say, less than a third of the way through my interview and I already knew she had ruled me out. I'm unclear if she had already chosen her candidates(but was obligated to interview me so decided to coast through my time), was in a bad mood prior to my interview slot, or just generally unequipped for her role as an interviewer.

The most disappointing thing here is that I really wanted to be a part of what SP was building as an organization. On paper, they sound like a great company with an extraordinary work culture. I can accept if I'm not the right fit for a company, or if another candidate is more qualified. This exchange however, didn't even allow me to prove anything over the phone. I'm curious to know how many other great, viable candidates were lost in the process due to this one "gatekeeper" and her inability to conduct interviews professionally.

Ideally this review is meant to reach someone at SP, and hopefully they can validate/change what I consider to be an inept ability to interact with potential candidates.

Interview Questions

• Standard templated phone interview questions, nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Sonoma Partners Response

Apr 2, 2015 – Sr. Recruiter

We are sorry to hear you were not happy with your experience. We value candidate feedback that helps us continually improve our recruiting process. I would like to discuss this with you further ... More

Office Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners.

Interview

Their interview process is very thorough. It begins with turning in your application, a quick skills test, then phone interviews, and on site interviews. There was even a project to show off your skills and how you think! Each position applied for has it's on project. It's not about getting it perfect, but showing that you know the basics, can describe your thought process, and have new ideas!

Interview Questions

• One of the most common questions was how I would handle having multiple projects with conflicting or simultaneous deadlines.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Sonoma Partners (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied 2/12 with the recommendation of a friend working at SP. Phone interview 2/14 with recruiter. Asked to take eSkill test 2/13, which was straight out of the SATs and I took that day. Asked to take a TalentDNA BestWork Assessment 2/18, which I took and aced that day. Phone screening 3/12 with the hiring manager. E-mailed 3/16 that they were moving forward with other candidates. Of course I asked why I was not chosen to advance and they have a policy not to disclose hiring practices. Found out after all that, from my friend working there that they had gone through this process with 12 people and ended up hiring the temp. After the 5+ hours I had invested, along with receiving positive feedback along the interview/testing process, I deserved the opportunity for an in-person interview.