Sony Pictures Entertainment Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.7

1. Featured Interview

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment (Culver City, CA).

Interview

Applied online in April, got a call for a phone interview in June. Spoke with hiring manager on the phone and was passed to the in person group interview with EVP and two SVPs. Went to the Lot for in person interview 4 days later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work history   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Interview

Two Phone interviews (I was not in the same city). One with the people I would be working with, one with the director of the team. I was asked questions about my skills in the interview with the people I would be working with. I was asked behavioral questions about who I am and how I work in a team when interviewing with the boss.

Interview Questions

• What is your most embarrassing moment?
      How do you work in a team?
      Behavioral questions   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Interview

Was recruited via LinkedIn. Quick 20-min screening call followed by an in-person meeting with the recruiter, hiring manager, then 2 other members of the team. Very warm atmosphere, no "gotcha" questions--they really just want to get to know you. Had another interview with leadership and the hiring manager again. Offer ended up being lateral, but a great experience.

Interview Questions

• How have your past roles been similar or different from this one? What has been a challenge you struggled with and how did it resolve?   Answer Question

Accounting Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment.

Interview

This was the worst and most unprofessional interview I've ever experienced. I'm a busy person and don't like when people waste my time, which is exactly what this company did. A recruiter reached out to me for a job that didn't remotely match my resume and experiences - I never applied for it yet somehow the hiring manager got a hold of my resume and wanted to speak to me. I expressed my concerns to her and she assured me to ignore the job ad and that they were honestly just looking for a project manager with finance experience.

They then ask me to come to the interview in person, yet refused to fly me out knowing full-well that I lived out of state. I asked for a virtual interview, which they reluctantly agreed (it's the 21st century people, get with the program, I've never had a company refuse a virtual interview before). The day of the interview rolls around and my interviewer is 18 minutes late to our 30 minute interview. Instead of apologizing, she goes on a rant about how she doesn't like virtual interviews and doesn't know how to use the program and that "it's not how we do things here." She then starts reading over my resume (she never looked at it before) and gets VERY angry because she doesn't remember where she got the resume from. She then starts asking ME where she got my resume. I calmly told her I have NO idea where she picked up my resume or who passed it on to her and that I didn't apply for this job and that Sony was the one who reached out to ME first.

She then goes on to say I have zero qualifications to do this job and says she needs an accountant. I calmly tell her that no where on my resume did I say I did accounting. She then says that Finance and Accounting are the same thing. I calmly remind her that Finance and Accounting are two ENTIRELY different degrees and job functions, and since I had a Finance degree and was a Finance consultant, that OBVIOUSLY I wasn't an accountant. She had no idea who any of my companies were, one of which was a BIG 4 consulting firm and the other a popular production studio, and pretty much tells me that none of my experience is good.

She then rudely leaves after about 5 minutes and lets the next person sit down to interview me. She didn't even say bye. The next person was much nicer and tried to salvage the situation as I was starting to get a bit aggravated with how I was treated. We had a good conversation before he kindly told me that I was clearly not qualified for the job and wondered how I got the interview. I told him I was confused as they were and that the recruiter promised they were just looking for a project manager.

End of interview.

It was disaster. I will never interview with this company again. Do NOT treat your candidates like dirt. I was very close to closing out of the video interview because of the disrespectful things that were said to me by the first interviewer. I don't care how high up you are or how cool your company is, you will treat me with professionalism and respect. Period.

Strategic Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment (Culver City, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

Simple and straight forward.

Seems that just like every company who wishes for the wishes.. They were looking for the unicorn - perfect candidate.

This department is still in the infancy stages although they will challenge that and say that they are a mature org. Personally I dont think so basing from what I experienced during the interview.

Interview Questions

• How would you determine the vehicle capacity of a multi-level parking building?   1 Answer
    • How do you manage multiple simultaneous projects especially when it becomes conflicting in terms of schedules, etc.   1 Answer
    • Okay, you didnt answered my question about managing conflict.   1 Answer

IT Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment in August 2019.

Interview

There was a 30 minute HR screening phone call, then a 15 minute hiring manager phone call, and finally an in person interview onsite. The onsite interview was a bit weird. I showed my ID to security and got access to the lot then had to find the the hiring managers office/building. Typically in other companies a HR representative will be around to assist an interviewee. I found hiring manager's office and waited. The manager was almost 20 minutes late to our scheduled in-person interview. We went on with the interview and the manager told me we would have a follow up interview in 2 weeks. I sent a thank you email to the manager and the HR person. A week later I sent a follow up email the the HR recruiter, but I didn't get a response. This was three months ago so I figured they moved on.

I saw on several job boards the position has been reposed. It would have been nice to have at least received a "thank you but we are moving on with someone else" email.

AI Research and Testing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2019.

Interview

Had a phone interview with the recruiter, then had another one with the team a few days later. Interview went well, I was asked about projects I had done.

Interview Questions

• Asked about how I could apply my skills in cinema post production?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment (Culver City, CA).

Interview

Hr screening, then an in-person interview with people who worked at the office. Felt like they didn't value my time and wanted someone with more experience than the job description stated. Big turnover (every few months) for interns in that particular office because of the difficulty of work.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I want to start my review by saying the interview process goes both ways...as much as a candidate is being interviewed, he/she should also be interviewing the company to ensure it is a positive environment. Each person I met with at Sony seemed to be under the impression that they could mistreat candidates and that still, those individuals would be thrilled to work for them. The HR rep was EXTREMELY, extremely unprofessional for months and would go weeks without responding to emails.

The first red flag I encountered was right off the bat when the recruiter reached out and scheduled me for a 1pm interview with the hiring manager; however, when I arrived, the recruiter told me the interview was actually at 2pm and made me wait in the lobby for over an hour. I am currently employed by a rival studio and was disappointed that she was willing to disrespect my time in the middle of the work day. Still, my meeting with the team went well, so I overlooked the recruiter's mistake.

A week later, the hiring team reached out directly without looping in the recruiter. HR was completely unaware of what was happening with each step of the interview process and constantly asked ME questions that I should be asking her. After multiple rounds of interviews, the HR rep was consistently confused and disorganized and asking me where we were in the process. When I would follow up with her, she often responded simply "I don't know" (if she even responded at all).

My advice to candidates is to never let an organization treat you as though you are lucky to be there if they don't treat you as though they are equally lucky to have you. The start of your employment & the interview process is the best a company will ever treat you, so if it's bad in the beginning, it's a pretty bad sign of how the company will treat you once you work there.

This was easily the worst interview experience I have ever had at any organization large or small. Truly embarrassing for a massive entertainment brand and global corporation.

Junior Full-Stack Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sony Pictures Entertainment (Los Angeles, CA) in June 2019.

Interview

Had a video call with the Director of Technology. Then did a take home coding challenge. Then a 2 hour on site interview. Felt good about the process and was even told I was over-qualified for the position at one point but was denied in the end for not knowing enough Javascript. Pretty sure it's a unanimous team decision and someone I pair programmed with must not have liked a specific JS thing I did. they still use AngularJS which kinda says it all. this was for the Digital Media Group and in general the team seemed caught between two minds. Everyone seemed really disgruntled and opinionated about code smells throughout their codebase but weren't motivated enough to do anything about it.