State Auto Insurance Companies Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 20, 2017

3.4

Product Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Applied via a staffing firm. I was contacted by HR and subsequently the hiring manager. Both conversations lasted about 45 minutes. Manager wanted to talk through insurance background and comprehensive Personal Lines understanding.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions: tell me about how you would handle... Also, what is your leadership style?   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH).

Interview

I applied online. Easy application to get through.
    HR reached out within a week to schedule interview.
    Quick phone interview with HR. Very friendly and open to answering my questions.
    On site interview went well with quick turnaround time.

Interview Questions

• Asked situational interview questions. Tell me about a time when you ....   Answer Question

Claims Adjuster Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in April 2016.

Interview

Sat in a room where I was interviewed first by one pair of interviewers and then another pair came in after. Both teams asked similar questions. I received a call a few days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you've had to deal with a challenging customer.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies.

Interview

First had phone screen interview, talked some about resume but mostly behavioral questions. Interviewer did not actually work in office where position was located nor with interns, so wasn't very knowledgeable about the position itself or even location to answer any questions. Then had on site interview, where I was finally told the type of internship I was interviewing for (rotational program), and was asked strictly behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• What was a time you had a communication barrier and how did you work through it?   Answer Question

Rotational Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a woman from human resources, that lasted about 45 minutes and included 4-5 behavioral based questions along with some other basic questions. Then, I had an in-person interview with two actuarial employees who asked me about 7-8 questions each. It was difficult mostly because of the shear volume of questions they asked me and the level of thought the questions demanded.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to communicate with a large group of people and how did it work out?   Answer Question

Customer Response Coordinator--Administrative Support II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in July 2013.

Interview

This was, without a doubt, the worst interview experience I have ever been through in my working life.

I saw this position online when I was searching for administrative positions and applied. Approximately 2-3 weeks later, I was sent an email by the company's recruiting area, advising me that they would like me to fill out a full application and set up a phone interview the next week. I was told that I would be contacted after the phone interview within a couple weeks. True to their word (the only time), I was contacted by the manager in the department and told that they wanted to do 4 separate interviews and all the people who would attend wouldn't be available to do them for approximately a month. Well, I agreed, thinking that if anything else came up in the mean time, I would let them know.

Since nothing came up, I attended the 3 interviews (one person ended up not showing anyway) after doing much preparation and feel as though I performed exceptionally well. I was told that after this series of interviews, they would narrow it down to two candidates who they all believed could do the job. After that, the final two went on to a final interview with the Chief Strategy and Organization Effectiveness Officer for her pick of "who fit in with the team the best". I was one of those two.

I came in for the final interview with the Chief Strategy and Organization Effectiveness Officer after having to wait ANOTHER three weeks because she was traveling/on vacation. I felt as though we had a great interview/interaction and came away from the interview feeling confident. I was told the decision would be made within the week--oh wait, it will be another week because there is another person on vacation. Okay. You'll hear from us Wednesday at 4:00 pm. Wednesday at 4:50 pm, I received the call (with no apology for wasting my time) letting me know that they didn't feel confident that either of us could do the job and they would be re-listing it. That's right, after nearly three months of this nonsense, neither of us were good enough! Unreal.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. I REPEAT--STAY AWAY! They have no regard for your time and, if you read reviews from their customers online, they have horrendously bad service. They don't advertise, so no one (even in the Columbus area, where they were founded!) knows who they are. Every single time they promised to call or be in contact, they were always late and never apologized. You deserve better, and so do I. Not getting this job was a blessing.

Interview Questions

• If I attended a party for you where all your previous bosses and co-workers were attending, what would they tell me stood out about you?   Answer Question

Auto CARE Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in December 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by an individual interview and panel interview. Between 3-4 different mamagers were involved in the process. It took place over several days and provided a lot of feedback.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose State Auto   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in October 2012.

Interview

Took about 1 month. Phone interview and then brought in for a panel interview. 3 people. It was challenging to answer questions from three different perspectives at a time. They were very thorough.

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

Very straight forward process, was not over bearing and I was not asked irrelevant questions. Focus was on previous experience with software and support within the insurance industry. There were minor questions for me to elaborate on other areas of IT that I've worked in but it was not very important to them because each department is narrowly focused on specific tasks.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult questions were related to previous work but because they used their own line of business apps, they were not directly related.   1 Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at State Auto Insurance Companies (Columbus, OH) in March 2010.

Interview

I applied online through their web site and was contacted via email by the hiring supervisor to set up an interview -- no contact from HR or any phone screen first. The first round of interviews was with multiple people, but sequentially, not in a panel. All four asked questions from a list of 75 behavioral interviews questions provided to them by HR. Because there was no coordination between them, I had to answer many identical questions for each interviewer. Each had a copy of my resume in front of them, covered in notes. If was obvious that it had been gone over in detail in preparation for the interview, however none of the interviewers ever referred to it. They all stated that they had read my resume and felt that I met or exceeded their requirements.

Second round was 2 weeks later with the supervisor's manager and was exactly the same: behavioral interview questions only. None of the interviewers initiated a discussion of my job history or skills or asked any open-ended question such as "Is there anything else you would like to tell me about your relevant experience?" I was never asked any questions related to expected compensation.

They decided to hire an internal candidate.

I had no real opportunity to expand on what was on my resume, but each interviewer gave me the opportunity to ask them questions. I was kept informed of the process and was treated very well. I was surprised that I was not asked any specific technical questions or even asked for references. Everyone with whom I interviewed presented a positive image of the company and their experiences working there. I intend to apply for other positions here in the future.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to give bad news to your manager?   Answer Question