Stitch Fix Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 15, 2017

2.7

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview went fine, very professional, lovely office, polite staff. I interviewed at the Austin headquarters. They gave pretty much no feedback during the interview which felt awkward and asked you to style 3 hideous pieces of clothing. I'm not sure what the point of that was unless they are selling hideous clothing, which I don't think they are. I did okay with the majority of the questions except they asked me how I would make this preppy black and white dress more "boho" and I was like ???? And how to style a pair of floral ankle pants in a crazy way so I said I would put a green sweater dress over the pants. That's pretty crazy, right?

I was a little taken aback at the pay being $14/hr. I had thought it was $15, which is already borderline acceptable for making any sort of money part time. For the amount of questions asked it felt more like a job that would pay a lot more.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Stitch Fix.

Interview

I had a group interview with about 6 other candidates and we were called in one by one.
    Schedule is m-f 7-3. This isn’t a regular warehouse job, it’s more like a entry level/high school/ butt kissers. I had 11 yrs of Distribution Center experience and they didn’t give me the job. 4 days later I went to another company job interview and got the job making $23 an hour with incentives. I guess it all worked out(lol).
    If you really want this job, act super fake and super friendly and they will pretty much hire you, don’t go in there with too much testosterone.
    I was way over qualified for this job, they don’t even use forklifts or machinery, and picking rate is 185 per hr,but the schedule is nice.

Make sure you are super friendly and jiggly.
    I can’t be fake, so sorry.

I forgot to mention that I don’t have any type of criminal record and there shouldnt have been an issue with me getting hired for this simple walk in the park job. I would’ve eventually went for more than a selector and that might have frightened the interviewers. There were 2 interviews per person.

Interview Questions

• Whats a previous employer/ Manager that
      was a role model/ mentor that currently have a friendship.   Answer Question
    • Have you had issues with any other employee ever. Everyone has had that , so don’t say never.   1 Answer
    • What extracurricular activities are you currently involved in.   Answer Question
    • What you do in you spare time.   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

After submitting an online application, the hiring manager emailed me for a phone screening. I thoroughly enjoyed the phone screening, and was offered an onsite interview on the spot. I interviewed 3 people onsite (3 other Marketing Managers and the Hiring Manager). The hiring manager was the last person who interviewed me, and completely thought I was a different candidate. (She asked me a question that was meant for someone else). That same day, I received an email to complete a take home project and to schedule another on-site interview (project presentation, and 3 more interviews (VP, 2 other Marketing Managers and Hiring Manger). After that, I didn't get any response. I decided to email a week after, and got an auto-reply email from the Hiring Manager saying she's on vacation. I emailed once more (3rd time's the charm right?) and received a generic response from the Hiring Manager.

Overall, horrible experience. It's completely rude of an employer to essentially "ghost" a candidate after making them go through 3 rounds of interviews and a project.

Please hire a recruiting coordinator to work closer with candidates and hiring manager.

Stitch Fix Response

Oct 26, 2017 – Director of Talent

We’re really sorry to hear you had this experience as this isn’t how we want any of our candidates to be treated. Thank you for this feedback, we will be sure to share it with the hiring managers and... More

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Austin, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

I applied online and received an email to schedule a phone interview within in 3 days. After the phone interview I heard back the next day to schedule the face to face, and received an offer the next day. So the whole process took less than two weeks. The over the phone portion was very basic and included the standard questions for any customer service position. The gal on the phone was super nice and friendly. The face to face was phenomenal! One of the best interviews I’ve ever had. I interviewed with two leads who both made me feel very relaxed in a highly stressful situation. They created an environment in which I could highlight my skills and experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a good manager you’ve had and what made them great.   1 Answer

Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

I hardly remember the application for Stitch Fix because it was so long ago... however after the application I think they got back to me within 2 weeks and said they wanted to interview me. They said the hiring process could take up to 6 months, and they sent me an email every month or two letting me know they still wanted to interview me but to be patient.

FINALLY 6-7 months later they contact me for a video chat interview. I get all prepared, fill out all the documents they needed from me and completed the pre-interview activity on time. Then the day of the interview I sign in 25 minutes early (they say to be 15 min early). I wait and wait and then get concerned I'm on the wrong link or something. I email the lady they said to contact if you have any issues the day of the interview. Didn't hear anything back from her. Found a different video conference link that seemed correct and waited more. My interview was at 12, and by this time it was 12:08, so I figured maybe they logged out because I was a little late. I emailed a bunch of people and never heard anything back. I rescheduled a new interview just in case they couldn't manually fit me back in. Days later, I finally hear back fro the lady who handles the "day of" interview issues. She basically said she would figure it out and get back to me but never did. Luckily, I had scheduled that new interview myself. I had received some of the confirmation emails (they send you some confirmation emails stating all the info but that it isn't the official confirmation and to email if you don't get it within 72 hours... I think this is pointless way to do a "confirmation" because it's confirming but saying it's not the real confirmation email? Advice to management would be to just send out one confirmation email once everything is in place. Anyway, I emailed about not receiving the second confirmation email, but thought maybe since I had the one from my first interview that they didn't need to send me one...

I email to try to confirm the morning of to the lady who handles "day of" issues once again. Nothing. However it was only a couple hours before my interview time so I get ready anyway. I get online early, still no extra confirmation email but I click on my old one and it doesn't work. And here I am!

I got stood up TWICE for a video interview! There is serious lack of communication between Stitch Fix and their potential employees which is frustrating. I can't believe they wasted SO much of my time!! So unprofessional.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Austin, TX).

Interview

Phone interview first - very standard. In-person interview a week later that started with a half-hour shadow of a current employee followed by an interview by two Leads. Shadow employee was friendly, but the Leads conducting the interview were not engaging at all. The whole office was very sterile and machine-like. Very little time is spent on email correspondence with clients because everything is basically automated. During the interview, I was asked to listen to a pre-recorded phone conversation between an Agent and client. It was painful to listen to because the Agent did so poorly handling a basic complaint. I think it was obvious that I did not want to work there, and the interviewers picked up on it. I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Explain an instance of receiving negative feedback from an employer and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Client Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Stitch Fix.

Interview

I applied online with a referral from a friend and received an email to schedule a phone interview about 3 days later. The phone interview was about 25 minutes long and the interviewer was friendly.

Interview Questions

• How would I describe StitchFix to a friend?   Answer Question
    • What is my preferred work environment?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when I was unable to make a customer happy and how could I have changed that?   Answer Question
    • What is my five year plan?   Answer Question
    • When is a time I had conflict with a coworker and how did I resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Remote Stitch Fix Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Dallas, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I’ve been waiting since January to apply with SF, and was finally able to in July when applications started being accepted again. You’ll get emails about your application every 4-6 weeks until they are able to schedule your interview. I had mine last Friday. I thought with my retail background and understanding of the algorithm (I’m a mathematician by trade), that I would have made an interesting stylist. I help girls on FB in the trade groups to get their profiles to match what they want. I mentioned wanting to help SF improve their process on the data side. When I didn’t get an offer (and their response comes quickly after the interview), I was curious why. They were very polite and wrote me back that while my personality and interest was there, that I wasn’t strong enough in styling. Personally, I believe you can train people on some of that and should want people who are passionate about a client’s needs and who are passionate about the company...because they seem to have a high turnover rate with stylists. I was really disappointed, but in the email reply, I was reassured it was just my weakness in fashion itself that hindered my application. Know all 7 categories of clothing before going into the interview (Classic, preppy, edgy, boho, casual, romantic, and glamorous). Know what they classify as each and how to style them.

Interview Questions

• What is a challenge you have faced professionally and overcame by working with others?   1 Answer
    • To style a pretend client with 4 clothing items and one accessory.   1 Answer

Remote Stitch Fix Stylist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

First, you get "homework" where you have to choose 5 items based on a client profile they send you before the interview through Pinterest.

I entered the Austin office and signed in. A few minutes later a woman approached myself and another applicant to move us to a table to sign into the office wifi via our laptops. We had to create a document with information that we would send to an actual client based on our homework choices.

I finished and was promptly lead around the entire office by a young woman. She had no idea where I was supposed to interview. Looking around the office, I noticed that everyone working there was dressed rather poorly. I saw a lot of clothing that did not fit properly, had stains, wrinkles and they thought wearing a hat was super cool (you know, wearing a hat INSIDE a professional environment...what?). My "guide" finally figured out where I was to be interviewed and took me back towards the front of the office. She was beyond confused. Not a great first impression.

I was interviewed by two lead stylists. Upon entering the office, I had to do a double take because I thought there was no way these were lead stylists. Again, one of the stylists was wearing an over sized black hat. She had a drab, baggy, brown t-shirt that was wrinkled and was covered in what looked like grease or sweat stains. It looked like she had rolled out of bed and threw on whatever was on the floor. It was not a good first impression of the "lead" stylists. The other interviewer was dressed nicely in a silk blouse and cute earrings which was refreshing considering the rest of the employees. I thought maybe there was hope...

They asked me several questions about my background and why I was interested in the job. Then I was tested when they asked me to describe and style three pieces of clothing on a rack in the office. Again, I had to do a double take because the clothing was so ugly. One piece was an extremely over sized plain grey sweater, the other was a fuchsia print dress that hurt my eyes to look at and the last was a skirt with a floral print that looked more like haphazard paint splotches. I wondered if these were actual Stitch Fix pieces. If so, wow...they need new designers. None of those pieces were very stylish, they were plain and unimpressive. I was really hoping we were going to be working with pieces that were more stylish.

It was a challenge to try to describe and categorize the clothing. I did my best by talking about what jewelry, shoes, pants, etc. I would pair with it. I thought my ideas were pretty great since I was trying to add color to drab pieces and play down the color of the bright fuchsia dress since it was so overwhelming. But obviously the girl in the over sized hat and greasy shirt wasn't impressed and neither was the other stylist.

I did not get the job. Reading Glassdoor interviews, I noticed that people with degrees or experience in the fashion industry were turned down by the company. A friend of mine told me her friend from college applied and was interviewed. She has ten years in fashion merchandising and was turned down for a simple stylist position. I have NO IDEA what these people expect. As mentioned above, seeing the way the office staff were dressed and the ugly test clothing made me realize that I was way too creative and high fashion to work at Stitch Fix.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stitch Fix (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online and heard back within the week.
    20 minute phone interview with Team Lead - a lot of questions about customer service experience as well as questions about negative experiences and how I dealt with them.
    Heard back later than night that I was asked to come in for an in person interview. The office was in a great location and seemed a pretty cool environment. I was greeted and sent off to shadow a girl currently in the position I was interviewing for (15-20 minutes of reading and responding to emails). Then a 30 minute interview with two team leads asking more about decision making, customer service, and the aftermath of decisions. I had to listen to a recording of a call with a customer and critique that; and then write a draft response to a customer email.

The people I interviewed with were nice and I thought it went well. Apparently there was some disconnect because I heard back a few days later that I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time that you had to make a difficult decision in a work place and how did that play out.   Answer Question