Stout Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 22, 2017

3.3

Analyst (Valuations and Financial Opinions Group) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Stout (Tyson's Corner, Fairfax, VA).

Interview

1st round - interviewed on-campus with 2 members of SRR. Interview was fairly straight-forward, mainly behavioral questions. They did ask a couple basic accounting questions as well.
    After the 1st round, they had me take an online assessment. Can't remember quite what was on it but I think it was just personality.
    Final round was a superday in the Tyson's Corner Office. The day was broken into eight 30-minute segments: 5 behavioral interviews, 1 financial knowledge interview, a written case study, and an accounting test. They provided a 30-minute lunch as well.

Interview Questions

• How much would you pay for ____ security with ______ financials? What metrics do you need to value a company? Most of the finance questions were just on the accounting test.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Stout (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Super day included 5 2-on-1 interviews, writing and technician examination. 1 interview based solely on technicals while others were behavioral and just wanted to get to know candidate. Culture seems fairly strong considering the smaller size. Quickly growing firm and proud of it.

Analyst, Valuation and Financial Opinions Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Stout (Houston, TX) in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting, got the interview invitation a week after. First, I introduced myself then the interviewer asked me, why SRR, why Valuation. Then came all the technical questions. After that, he introduced a little about his work there and this position, and I had some time to asked my questions. Basically, it's a pretty easy interview.

Interview Questions

• why SRR
      Why valuation
      walk me through DCF, wacc, capm
      how the three financial statements relate to each other   Answer Question

Analyst-Forensic Accounting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stout (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

Pretty straightforward. I applied through my college's online job portal and within a few weeks I had an interview scheduled. Read a bit about the firm and was interviewed for about 40 mins. I was a two person interview and they went over my background and my capabilities in Excel.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Valuation Summer Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Stout in October 2016.

Interview

Applied through school career website. Selected for on campus interview. Interview lasted about 30 minutes. Content of interview was behavioral and technical, but the majority was technical (i.e. valuation and corporate finance). I was notified about a week or two later that I had been invited to their Super Day in Houston.

Interview Questions

• What valuation methods are you familiar with? Can you walk me through that method?   Answer Question
    • What happens if you have a beta of zero?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Stout (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Interview process began on-campus. After initial interviews, I was invited for a superday at one of their offices. Friendly people, professional atmosphere, nice office. The superday consisted of two "tests" and a couple of interviews. Got back to me pretty soon.

Dispute Advisory and Forensic Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Stout (Washington, DC) in September 2016.

Interview

A Pretty simple 30-minute interview mostly behavioral. They asked me about what was on my resume and experience that I wrote on my resume. Know you resume top to bottom. I was told I would hear back from them in 2-3 week and I never received a response.

Valuation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Stout (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

On campus interview followed by an office visit. Also a reception event at school before the first round interviews. One on one interview in person. Was asked a laundry list of finance questions

Interview Questions

Employees did not seem happy at the company at all

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Stout in September 2016.

Interview

In-person screening with current employees, though most people do this over the phone. Several days later I was sent some online exams to complete before my in-person interview. The exams were math/logic/personality. Super day was 5 parts:three 2-on-1, one written par,t and one excel/math part. Received an offer 3 days later

Interview Questions

• What kind of projects were you given at your internship?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Stout in July 2016.

Interview

This is an outsider's perspective so take it or leave it, but there's something just... odd about this company. I was approached by them, having never heard of the firm before, and in initial interviews, they came off a little needy and overanxious, volunteering details about how they're "projecting $120 million in revenue this year and are growing at a 27% annual rate" and how I should "check their reviews on Glassdoor" and yada yada.

Then, after a phone interview with one of their higher-ups, I then asked to take this bizarre personality test/math quiz that in their words is designed to "discover an individual’s natural abilities and instinctive talents." This turned out to be two hours of my life that I'll never get back. Sample question: "A man runs 8 miles an hour for 40 minutes then gets on a bus going 50 miles an hour for 20 minutes; how far has he traveled?" Something like that. Maybe they're trying to "discover" if you stayed awake during junior high math class.

Anyway, throughout this process they led me to believe I'd be meeting in person with the managers involved with the position. But several days after I took the quiz, I got a voicemail from the HR rep that I'd been eliminated, with little elaboration. Thanks for playing.

From reading other reviews here, it appears SRR is big on tests for candidates. This is a bit retro for the 21st century corporate world, so I'll offer one brief suggestion for anyone who finds themselves the object of SRR's overtures - before you waste your precious time on any of their tests:

Push back. Tell them you'd consider taking the test but you want an in-person meeting with a hiring manager first, to help you decide if this is the right fit for you. Use your leverage. U.S. unemployment is under 5% and is heading lower, and job openings are at a record high. There's a good chance they need you more than you need them.

As for SRR- Hey guys, if you're that good at what you do, stop trying so hard to impress me.