Success Academy Charter Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Success Academy Charter Schools Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

This was a group interview of three different parts. First all those being interviewed are in a room for a quick introduction of Success Academy and some of its talent recruiters. Then we were broken up in to 3 groups of 5 or 6. The group interviews consisted of 3 parts, one on classroom management, one on literacy/critical thinking/English, and one as part of getting to know the employees experiences.

What concerned me most was the classroom management portion of the interview. Taking turns, we all had to practice how we would respond to a student not following directions. I and others being interviewed were told to be louder in our voice even though some of us were naturally soft spoken. Also told to change the inflection of our voices. The recruiter was very nitpicky on what our voice should sound like . Next to her another recruiter graded us on our performance. Either way it is very telling on what goes on in the school itself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

A total of 5 rounds of questions and answers. First, we were ordered to read a Langston Hughes poem "I, too" and analyze the plot and give the literal and metaphoric meaning. Then, a table where cliche teaher questions about "your most challenging experience" are lobbied at you. Then, a clueless middle school teacher gives you some more hackneyed pageant questions and then a duo of imbeciles role play a scenario of disruptive behavior to see how you'd manage it. You are in groups of 5 and it feels like a beauty pageant interview round. Beware that identity politics are prevalent and make for an extremely awkward 3 hours. All things being equal, or even a little unequal, they will extend the offer to the minority. My white friend who was far more qualified than me did not get an offer, but I, a minority did. Interview is long so you need stamina. Please beware that this is a non contract position!! If you are selected, look for a job where they offer the dignities of workers rights and not being fired on a whim w no recourse like unemployment being a possibility. You deserve it if you are able to shine through the most difficult school interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the plot of Langston Hughes poem "I, Too"?   1 Answer
    • What are your favorite books/authors?   1 Answer
    • What was one situation you had to "pivot" changing it from a negative to a positive?   Answer Question
    • Stand up and show me how you'd deal with this scenario. (Boy whispers to his friend in class)   1 Answer

Associate Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview

This process was relatively fast moving. I submitted my materials online and in a few days I received an email to come in for a group interview. The group interview consisted of about 25 people, and they are very accommodating providing snacks and water . First, everyone watches a video and then we were broken up into groups of 5/6. There are about 4 different rounds where you and your group go into a room where there are recruiters, and each round has a different focus. Some rooms are more traditional interview questions about background, strengths, and weaknesses. In one room you read a poem together and go through a typical lesson, and in another there is more of a role play. Though group interviews can be intimidating, you just have to focus on yourself and your own answers. The reason I did not rate this as positive is because of the way the recruiters give feedback on the spot. I don't see anything wrong with feedback, and welcome it but it felt demeaning the way they would give feedback to some candidates. It was very much a "call out" culture and they would not hesitate to tell you your answer was bad and you should start over. They even called out a candidate for smiling too much. The whole experience was very off-putting and militaristic. I wasn't sure if I was making this up but when I read reviews on Glassdoor about other teachers' experiences, many said they felt bullied and talked down on so that validated my initial thoughts on the interview. I was offered a position but turned it down because of all of the negative reviews and my feelings after the interview. Though some people may thrive in a militaristic environment, I thought it might make me really unhappy.

School Leader/Assistant Principal Interview

Interview

We were asked to prepare a demo lesson and address school wide concerns to present in school leadership. As soon as we arrived, candidates were thrown into a room together and were told to conduct a 10 minute demo lesson as a group as a surprise group interview which was never mentioned on the phone interview nor written email preparations. The talent recruiters were extremely judge mental and demeaning to us in a belittling tone. Talent recruiters were extremely opinionated instead of evidence based which is clear that this organization is looking for candidates to mold into superficial school leaders in which are Wall Street esq, robotic, military, and self centered employees. I was very turned off by the treatment of the talent recruiters and their lack of professionalism and interrogative tactics. Next time, treat new talents with respect. I was very turned off by this organization! Judging from numerous employee reviews, this is not an organization for talented individuals.

Interview Questions

• You have 15 minutes to preform a demo lesson with candidates you have just met now in this conference room on a particular middle school language arts poetry piece you haven't seen yet and you are to present it to us in 10minutes as if the recruiters are the middle school students. Some will play the role as misbehaved students.   Answer Question

Associate Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview

it was a group interview. They break you up into small groups and there are about 5 people who interview you. You are moved from room to room being interviewed by different people in each room. Then in one room they make you stand up and want to see how you would redirect a student. Also they isnt enough time for each person to answer. towards the end they were rushing us out. I did not get the job but i feel that not having eought time and being rushed did not help me.

Associate Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools.

Interview

Group interview, broken into smaller groups. More like a learning session verses bring an interview. Brief introduction on company then read a poem, talk about situations that may occur and classroom management

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

The process is quite efficient and no-nonsense. They will typically contact you via phone if you make it pass their standard written application (with some short, open response items). The administration seemed to be quite inflexible about interviewing during the teaching demo with several rushed and last minute changes. Overall, not a terrible experience but definitely confusing and does not bode well for candidates to not know the preliminary details about teaching demos. The administration I interviewed was also quite rude and seemed distracted during the whole process after the demo. Students were not prepared for a demo teacher, and definitely an overflow of adults during the actual process. They were very abrupt in communication afterwards.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Success Academy?
      What do you feel like you can improve on?   Answer Question

Lead Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview. They gave you a poem and you had 15 min to do a lesson plan with members in your group. After that you and your group members have to teach the interviewees about the poem. You will get feedbacks from them. Talked about your own lesson plan and asked them questions. They will let you know in a week.

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY).

Interview

A group of aspiring employees were placed into a room and given prompts to answer questions as a team. This served to illustrate how adept the potential employees were at problem solving and team building.

Interview Questions

• If you were stuck on a boat and could only bring ten things what would you bring and why?   Answer Question

Assistant Principal Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Success Academy Charter Schools (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

It's a group interview with other job applicants possibly applying for the same position. You are asked to create a demo lesson with one of the candidates that you just met. The next task centered around role playing the correct way to discipline a third grader for talking during the last 4 min of a lesson. Their method seems like they would have children crying everyday. We had to practice that activity THREE times because there is only a right way to scold a child. The next activity required us to be grilled about employers we had in the past and why we left. We concluded with a role play of giving difficult feedback to a teacher who had one student not paying attention during class. If you are someone who has your own philosophy of education and believe in creatively finding solutions then this may not be the environment for you. Expect to receive feedback that is more critical than feedback that is supportive of ones growth. This interview for a leadership position had nothing to do with instructional leadership, data, parent engagement and building a positive school culture. Oh and they send you an email with 4 performance task to prepare for the interview and it's not addressed...Total waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Would you be okay with receiving feedback in front of a teacher?   Answer Question