Sucker Punch Productions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sucker Punch Productions Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2017

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Seattle, WA) in October 2017.

Interview

Recruiter replied to application with a programming test.

Programming test involved implementation of a memory management scheme.

Phone interview followed with lead engineer, who provided an interactive online programming test involving rules verification with a popular analog game.

On-site interview followed involving 4 white-boarding sessions. Engineering questions primarily focused on fundamental programming skills (strings, trigonometry, trees).

Everyone was extremely friendly and professional. The interview was conducted in a "Microsoft" style.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions.

Interview

Pretty Basic interview process. Phone screening followed by an on-site interview. I met with 3 different people while I was there. Everyone was very kind and it was honestly one of the best interview processes I've had to date. People were very easy to talk to. There was really only one part of the interview that was difficult and unexpected, which essentially was a brain teaser question that I was asked to solve.

Graphics Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Bellevue, WA).

Interview

Started off with a take home test, which they emailed me. Seems to be the same question as the other posts.

Following this, we scheduled a Skype interview about a week after my submission. Interview was with their Director of Engineering. It started off with questions about my background and resume projects. He then asked if I had any questions and we had a chat about specifics of their engine design. It was finally topped off with a couple simple questions. One was about writing a unit test and other was an old-school graphics question in basic C.

They decided to fly me out a week later and put me in a hotel. On site interview started off with a tour of the office and then led to about 3~4 hours of technical interviews. I talked with various graphics engineers for about an hour each, with a lunch interview in between.

Everyone was super nice and a pleasure to talk to.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in August 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received an answer the same day. I was asked to complete a programming challenge. I contacted them with a question and received a reply the next day. I sent in my solution later that day and received an invitation for a skype interview about a week later. The interview consisted of some questions about games and a relatively straight-forward coding challenge. The interviewer was very friendly, and the interview was actually quite enjoyable. He promised they'd inform me of their decision within 2 days, and they did. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job since they had other candidates that better fit their needs.
    All in all, every one at Sucker Punch that I was in contact with was very friendly and helpful, and the coding challenge was a good practice exercise.

Gameplay Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Bellevue, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got back in 3 days and was given a programming challenge. Submitted 3 days after and then was told they moved on. The question doc is intimidating, saying they expect nothing more than hours to finish. It took me 3 days to study related topic and figure out a way to implement it. The question was hard. It is about memory management.

Game Play Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in January 2016.

Interview

Sends out an Engineering Test right away. Games questions as well as a programming assignment. Programmers have a week to complete the assignment. Not sure if they even check the cover letter and resume. Probably just looking for something specific.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the next day. I was emailed a coding challenge along with two design questions. Along with the challenge questions, they sent an NDA for an onsite visit-- bear in mind this is before I've even been graced with an interview.
    The document containing the questions encourages asking questions/clarifying, but when I did the recruiter replied rudely. I was rejected about a week after sending my solutions. I asked for feedback and was ignored. But I can see now from other interviewees that Sucker Punch has a no feedback policy.
    As other interviewees have mentioned, Sucker Punch's hiring process is highly disrespectful of applicants and their valuable time. As with any job, you must spend your time on the online application, resume, and cover letter. Once that checks out, they immediately request that you spend a couple hours on their coding challenge and design questions. It is quite disrespectful to request this much of an applicant Sucker Punch is not fairly sure they are going to move forward with. If Sucker Punch is supposedly worth 2 more hours of our time, are we not worth a 15-minute phone interview? And indeed, not even a few minutes to give feedback if requested?
    I can only conclude they don't really bother reviewing the resume/cover letter before sending out the challenges. They seem content wasting the time of applicants they have no plans of hiring.

Interview Questions

• The coding challenge involved assigning a list of units with an attack and defense stat to an arbitrary number of teams such that the teams are as balanced as possible.   Answer Question

Systems Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very poor. I was contacted by them three times - once through a friend then twice more via LinkedIn.

Took their game design test... then didn't hear from them for a month. Life is busy, I totally get that.

Then when it was the day of the call, never got the call at the appointed time. Find out an hour later the hiring manager forgot about the call and was busy talking to their publisher.

When we rescheduled, he asked me if I had signed an NDA - it having been over a month since I filled out their paperwork, I didn't remember. He then was unable to sell me on the project... only asked me one vague question as to how I approached fantasy driven design for class design.

Then basically just looked for a way to end the call instead of giving me any information on why I was being interviewed in the first place.

Very negative experience, it felt like the right hand did not know what the left hand was up to.

Interview Questions

• How did you design X class in a popular MMO.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Bellevue, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Received a technical programming test that required specific knowledge on how to solve. Then had a Skype interview with expected interview Q&A. A simple programming exercise was also involved.

It didn't feel like the interviewer reviewed my resume or answer for the technical test. It was also very difficult to get an idea of what exactly they were looking for outside of technical competence.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most recent projects you've worked on.   1 Answer

Game Play Programmer/Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Sucker Punch Production's website. About 1 week later I received an email reply with a coding challenge and some design questions to be completed at home.

The challenge itself wasn't unreasonable. It required a bit more thought than a timed interview, but that is expected from a take home assignment. I took a couple of days to finish the challenge and make sure everything was neat before sending in my answers. Here's where things go downhill.

I waited nearly two weeks for a response, but heard nothing. I ended up having to email HR myself to ask about the status of my application. They responded the same day and informed me that I didn't make it to the next step. That's fine. You win some, you lose some. However, I wanted some feedback on my solution since I had set aside time and effort to work on this thing from home and I was wondering how I could improve. They told me it was against company policy to provide feedback on the take home assignment.

I found all of this to be very inconsiderate for applicants. Not only did Sucker Punch Productions refuse to give me some harmless feedback on their homework, they were also willing to leave me in dark after I completed said homework. They showed a lack of common courtesy and they had no respect for my time. Overall, the interview was a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you're designing a new melee attack for a third-person God of War-style game. What factors do you consider when designing this attack?   Answer Question