Sucker Punch Productions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sucker Punch Productions Interview Questions

3.4

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in August 2016.

Interview

I submitted my application online and received an answer the same day. I was asked to complete a programming challenge. I contacted them with a question and received a reply the next day. I sent in my solution later that day and received an invitation for a skype interview about a week later. The interview consisted of some questions about games and a relatively straight-forward coding challenge. The interviewer was very friendly, and the interview was actually quite enjoyable. He promised they'd inform me of their decision within 2 days, and they did. Unfortunately, I didn't get the job since they had other candidates that better fit their needs.
    All in all, every one at Sucker Punch that I was in contact with was very friendly and helpful, and the coding challenge was a good practice exercise.

Gameplay Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Bellevue, WA) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online. Got back in 3 days and was given a programming challenge. Submitted 3 days after and then was told they moved on. The question doc is intimidating, saying they expect nothing more than hours to finish. It took me 3 days to study related topic and figure out a way to implement it. The question was hard. It is about memory management.

Game Play Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in January 2016.

Interview

Sends out an Engineering Test right away. Games questions as well as a programming assignment. Programmers have a week to complete the assignment. Not sure if they even check the cover letter and resume. Probably just looking for something specific.

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in September 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted the next day. I was emailed a coding challenge along with two design questions. Along with the challenge questions, they sent an NDA for an onsite visit-- bear in mind this is before I've even been graced with an interview.
    The document containing the questions encourages asking questions/clarifying, but when I did the recruiter replied rudely. I was rejected about a week after sending my solutions. I asked for feedback and was ignored. But I can see now from other interviewees that Sucker Punch has a no feedback policy.
    As other interviewees have mentioned, Sucker Punch's hiring process is highly disrespectful of applicants and their valuable time. As with any job, you must spend your time on the online application, resume, and cover letter. Once that checks out, they immediately request that you spend a couple hours on their coding challenge and design questions. It is quite disrespectful to request this much of an applicant Sucker Punch is not fairly sure they are going to move forward with. If Sucker Punch is supposedly worth 2 more hours of our time, are we not worth a 15-minute phone interview? And indeed, not even a few minutes to give feedback if requested?
    I can only conclude they don't really bother reviewing the resume/cover letter before sending out the challenges. They seem content wasting the time of applicants they have no plans of hiring.

Interview Questions

• The coding challenge involved assigning a list of units with an attack and defense stat to an arbitrary number of teams such that the teams are as balanced as possible.   Answer Question

Systems Designer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very poor. I was contacted by them three times - once through a friend then twice more via LinkedIn.

Took their game design test... then didn't hear from them for a month. Life is busy, I totally get that.

Then when it was the day of the call, never got the call at the appointed time. Find out an hour later the hiring manager forgot about the call and was busy talking to their publisher.

When we rescheduled, he asked me if I had signed an NDA - it having been over a month since I filled out their paperwork, I didn't remember. He then was unable to sell me on the project... only asked me one vague question as to how I approached fantasy driven design for class design.

Then basically just looked for a way to end the call instead of giving me any information on why I was being interviewed in the first place.

Very negative experience, it felt like the right hand did not know what the left hand was up to.

Interview Questions

• How did you design X class in a popular MMO.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Bellevue, WA) in August 2015.

Interview

Received a technical programming test that required specific knowledge on how to solve. Then had a Skype interview with expected interview Q&A. A simple programming exercise was also involved.

It didn't feel like the interviewer reviewed my resume or answer for the technical test. It was also very difficult to get an idea of what exactly they were looking for outside of technical competence.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the most recent projects you've worked on.   1 Answer

Game Play Programmer/Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Sucker Punch Production's website. About 1 week later I received an email reply with a coding challenge and some design questions to be completed at home.

The challenge itself wasn't unreasonable. It required a bit more thought than a timed interview, but that is expected from a take home assignment. I took a couple of days to finish the challenge and make sure everything was neat before sending in my answers. Here's where things go downhill.

I waited nearly two weeks for a response, but heard nothing. I ended up having to email HR myself to ask about the status of my application. They responded the same day and informed me that I didn't make it to the next step. That's fine. You win some, you lose some. However, I wanted some feedback on my solution since I had set aside time and effort to work on this thing from home and I was wondering how I could improve. They told me it was against company policy to provide feedback on the take home assignment.

I found all of this to be very inconsiderate for applicants. Not only did Sucker Punch Productions refuse to give me some harmless feedback on their homework, they were also willing to leave me in dark after I completed said homework. They showed a lack of common courtesy and they had no respect for my time. Overall, the interview was a negative experience.

Interview Questions

• Imagine you're designing a new melee attack for a third-person God of War-style game. What factors do you consider when designing this attack?   Answer Question

Game Play Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in July 2015.

Interview

Company got back to me two days after sending my resume. First step was a simple written test over email with three questions. Questions felt easy to me, but apparently I missed the magic word they were looking for since I didn't get the job. While it wasn't timed, they encouraged finishing it sooner rather than later. I asked for clarification on one of the questions, but after two days of no response decided to turn it in anyway and acknowledge the assumptions I made, along with a brief description of what I'd do differently for different assumptions. After a week of not hearing back, I sent a follow up email, and within an hour got my rejection letter. I asked for feedback along with the "thank you for your time" reply and haven't heard from them since.

Interview Questions

• Two design related questions and one programming question.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions in December 2014.

Interview

Toughest screener I've ever had.

Another review notes the question they ask. Apparently they've asked the same question for over 6 years so it must work for them. Without asking any questions about me or a phone call, just got emailed the test.

It's initially a bit of a trick question because its not what it appears to be. Where most other companies ask you short questions or short code efficiency with data structure or algorithm-based questions as screeners, they expected a rather large and tedious low-level C program designed from scratch. Even after spending multiple hours on it and trying to get it as efficient as possible, lots of bitmasking and alloc/realloc implementation, and testing, it apparently failed to impress.

I admit I did get tangled in the design a bit myself, and may have left edge cases open for error. So I probably got busted if they used a big test harness and just passed on anyone whose program doesn't score well. But I had spent so much time on a ~screener~ (more time than in-person Google interviews) that I knew I had to draw a line somewhere and submit it.

Two weeks later I received an email with no feedback informing me they had moved on. Quite a shame I didn't even get a phone call.

I went back to the problem to try to redesign it anyway because I was curious. I put enough time into it that I liked to at least have an answer to it, or an idea of one. The ONLY alternative I could get out of any friends or internet boards was a much less efficient answer compared to my solution in terms of memory. So, I'm even more confused on where I may have went wrong. The question specifically stressed memory efficiently, and I pulled out all the stops on bitmasking.

Interview Questions

• Queue design with 2048 char array, no heap allocation (malloc,realloc, new, delete not allowed)   Answer Question

Environment Artist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Sucker Punch Productions (Bellevue, WA) in October 2012.

Interview

Interviewed at Sucker Punch last year and had a great experience. I was one of a handful of people that was involved in a 'speed dating' style interview. It was an all day event (lunch included) and we all took turns interviewing with 3 different team members in between watching movies in their theater room. I got great feedback on my portfolio and critiques on my workflow. Although I did not get the job, I feel I walked away with a better understanding of the industry.

Interview Questions

• I wasn't expecting technical questions for some reason. i.e. word definitions. I got stumbled up on what Global Illumination was because I was focused on explaining how I get from one step to the next.   1 Answer