Switchfly Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 6, 2017

2.7

Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Switchfly (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Within three days of application I received first call from the recruiter which was followed up by a call from hiring manager. After a week I had two more interviews over the phone. In-person interview was with six people. At the end of the interview I spoke with the hiring manager, she was very much unclear about the role and the needs. It was clear from her that she is calling in candidates for in-person, but she is unable to take decision regarding them and this was happening from last three months. Also, recruiter, hiring manager, and others who interviewed me told me that this is new position though during online search I found one person who resigned from that position in October and moved on to another company located in same premises. Also, they opened the same position two years back and closed it after three months promoting one of their employee to that position who resigned in October. The whole process takes lot of time and lot of efforts as eight to nine interviews are kept consecutive in line. Also, prospects are advised to do research on the company culture before applying for this position as the company did downsizing recently.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Switchfly?   1 Answer

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Switchfly (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

The leadership seemed uninterested during the interview. The lead was on his computer for most of it and asked why I was there which was confusing since I was invited by the company.

Private Search - Executive Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Switchfly in November 2015.

Interview

This company is an interesting one and may have a bright future. My experience interviewing wth Senior Staff was somewhat jarring when one of them questioned the CEO's ability during our conversation. The management team as a whole is experienced. I left the interviews wanting to hear more, but worried about the dis chord.

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Switchfly (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

One phone interview with HR for about 20 minutes. One phone interview with the hiring manager. And then onsite interview with 5 people including VP of product and people from other departments that the candidates will be working with. Talked with each for about 30 minutes. Everyone is friendly and genuinely wants to find out whether or not each other is a good fit.

Client Service Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Switchfly in September 2014.

Interview

Went through an HR phone screen then followed up with a screen with the hiring manager. After speaking with the hiring manager it was clear that they were looking for an account manager with heavy project management experience. Things went well in the screens and I was told that I'd be scheduled for an interview. Then a week later I got an email that the req was closed and would not be filled.

About a month later I got an email from the hiring manager that they re-opened the req and if would come in for an interview. I was a little reluctant but agreed to come in. Unless you live in the city, the location is a horrible commute, nowhere near BART or Caltrain. In the interview the hiring manager focused on project management and I got the feeling this is more of a customer facing project manager job. I met a panel and none of the questions were hard. I'm guessing they may just be looking for who they like the most personality-wise. The company seems in transition and there is a whole new management team coming in so that is a bit concerning.

Lastly, I spoke with their HR manager about my expectations. When I told them the minimum salary I expected she was quite surprised and said it was much higher than they expected. This was a bit ridiculous because they were basically expecting me to take a pay cut. I know the going rate for such a position and my expectations were already below market. Needless to say I lost what interest I had remained immediately. The whole operation seems sketchy. Also, they use an open floor plan which is horrible if you're in a sales or service oriented role. How are you supposed to focus when you're trying to shout over your neighbor?

Client Services Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Switchfly in June 2014.

Interview

Had a phone screening with the HR director, then had a phone interview with one of the hiring managers, and the director of the department. Everything was via phone.

The phone screening with HR director was very informative and professional one. He was very engaging and open for any questions. After the phone screening, he hooked me up with one of the hiring managers. The interview with the hiring manager was also as expected and good one. She wanted for me to talk to her manager (director of the division) before she invites me to the face-to-face interview.

The director called on time as he promised. He asked me to describe about the job and I explained to him what I learned from the initial phone screening and the phone interview with the hiring manager. He told me he was totally against what I said. He was looking for the person who can "code" which was not mentioned in the job description nor by HR & the hiring manager. I was shocked to hear what he said, but he was certain that the Client Services Manager must read, write, and understand the code and he didn't like my background which was more focused on the customer relation.

At the end of the interview, I withdrew the application. The HR Manager's input was "I wasn't technical enough", but it should have addressed in earlier stage.

Technical Client Services Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Switchfly (San Francisco, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

I applied online and soon got scheduled with a phone screen with the Director of HR. That led to a more technical phone call with the hiring manager. A few days later, they invited me over for an on-site interview, with include a 15-45 min 1:1 chat with a team member, the hiring manager, an SAM, VP of Sales, and the Director of HR. The on-site was long, but very informative. Everyone I've met was very nice and patient to answer my questions.

Their company has an interesting process - that everyone who have met the candidates would sit down together and discuss about their impressions of the candidates and to pick the one as a group. It definitely seems like they are very careful and serious about hiring for the company.

A few days later, they told me that they had decided to go with another candidate with more experiences. And the Director of HR was super helpful to provide feedback on my performance.

But the only confusing part of this was that, only about 2 or 3 weeks after receiving a No from them, I saw that they have posted the same job opening again online. So it's very hard to tell whether they did hire the person or not.

Interview Questions

• Based on your understanding of our current model, give me a draft project plan to launch a feature for a Switchfly client.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Switchfly.

Interview

The interview is conducted by some other company than Switchfly. Too many questions asked during the phone interview. Feel rushed to answer.

Interview Questions

• Explain the design of the chess game in a phone interview.   Answer Question

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Switchfly (San Francisco, CA) in July 2012.

Interview

Standard interview questions (e.g. Tell me about yourself, what are your technical skills, why do you want to work here, can you work shift hours, what do you know about the company, how do you handle difficult customers, how do you handle pressure and deadlines, do you mind being on-call, working weekends.)

Strategic Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Switchfly in June 2016.

Interview

Phone screening with HR, then telephone interviews with people on the account management team, then Skype interviews with higher level managers/directors/the COO. The process took a little longer than 2 months, most of the time was waiting to get the final offer. In the end I got an exploding offer that expired in 72 hours. I tried to negotiate for more time to decide and a salary comparable to what was listed for the same role on Glassdoor, and was countered with a 24 hour exploding offer with no additional salary. HR cited the finance department as the reason for the inexcusably short time frame to decide.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Switchfly, what is your experience with account management, why are you interested in joining this company   Answer Question