Switchfly Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Strength In Numbers"

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Switchfly full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, lots of support, motivated people focused on making this company the leader in the travel ecommerce space! Lots of autonomy, empowerment and encouragement to take responsibility, risk and initiative! Many teams of creative people, innovative and scrappy folks working to improve the company culture, product, industry position and grow!! In addition to the people, the potential for growth and development, the office location is perfect, the kitchen is stocked and there's Friday lunches.

Cons

There are cons to every company. The only thing I can see, currently, is that there a few people who cannot see through their own crap and their negative vibe is toxic. I trust they won't stay long. The company is amazing and there's some really incredible potential and there is no time for the negative chatter/gossip. Grow up and get to work!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people. Happy employees = productive employees!

"Run. Run away."

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

There's a handful of quality people still left at this company. The smarter of them, which sadly doesn't include me, have already gone. The rest consist of people looking and people who are comfortable enough to live out their days phoning it in, literally.

Cons

I just don't know where to start.

Advice to Management

You are clinically cynical. You blame your employees and clients for your problems, but you can't fathom that you are the problem. You have no vision. You don't communicate to your employees. You hate your employees and your clients. Don't think we don't hear you. The walls, in what remains of our office, are paper thin. Yes, we hear you CEO. Yes, we hear you HR.

"Scary Dysfunctional Company"

Pros

Like any dot-com, Switchfly has the usual suite of fun benefits - a kitchen with snacks, free lunches on Wednesday, a ski trip (cancelled last year though), ping pong, the occasional happy hour and an exercise room. Some of my fellow employees are pretty cool and work hard.

Cons

Its all hands on deck building custom features for clients - there's no innovation or product roadmap to speak of. From a developer standpoint, most time is spent fixing bugs, or building new features that tend to break other features and anger clients.

Its thankless work, to be honest, and customers are generally not very happy with us.

There has been a huge amount of turnover and no one really stays for very long... all the old-timers are gone and those who remain aren't very happy.

If you want to write code or create products that are new and innovative, don't come here because you will spend all your time cleaning up others messes.

Advice to Management

It really appears clear to me and others that you do not know what you are doing.

"Beware this terrible company. Do not work here!"

I worked at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Some nice people who work hard, but their voices are drowned out in a sea of ineptitude, finger-pointing, and poor strategic choices over the years.

Cons

Its almost as if the CEO is trying to sink the company. Between the merry-go-round of outsourcing development to various partners around the globe, the lack of investment in the platform or any innovation, to the angry customers that were sold a bill of goods that we not delivered, this company has huge problems.

Customers are leaving, employees are leaving, no one is buying the Switchfly story anymore. The company's reputation is awful in the market.

Advice to Management

True change happens at the top. Time to lop off the head...

"Major Issues"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Not much besides the office location

Cons

Executive team can not lead the company

"Great company!"

Pros

Relaxed environment. A great company to work.

Cons

Sometimes job is unestable. There could be people suddendly fired.

"People working hard"

I have been working at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Core group of people work very hard and are very committed. Smart people trying to shift a boat while rowing through a storm. Big, high profile client base. $600 per employee for 2017 to be used on leisure travel of our choice. Open door policy with all leadership and executives. Free snacks, Wednesday lunches, really nice Christmas party, etc.

Cons

Still some lingering negativity as the company shifts directions. It's not really a startup, but people still expect it to run and behave like one. Lack of accountability continues to be a problem. Lots of oscillations when people don't take ownership of their own work or expect and instead expect the person above them to solve the problems for them.

Advice to Management

Recent changes in sales leadership should have happened months ago based on the sales numbers for 2015 and 2016. Leadership now has the opportunity to change the momentum in sales. Hold managers at ALL levels accountable for managing and developing their people, and for communicating out to everyone on the ground. Like with any company, it seems like the same 10 people or so are always unhappy. Find a way to address this, but don't overreact as a vast majority of the employees aren't unhappy.

"Great People, Good Culture but not the most interesting work"

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Switchfly (More than a year)

Pros

Really good people and a CEO that's committed to creating a positive work culture. Worked with more women in technical roles than other local startups.

Cons

The work is a drag. The product, while good, is a big huge hairy mess and it's accumulated so many customers over time that it's proving hard for them to switch from being a real SaaS to a product driven company.

"Used to be a great place to work, but not anymore"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Switchfly full-time

Pros

Place has been going downhill for a few years now under the "guide" of the current CEO.
    Can't really think of any pros, except maybe the office location, and the one or two people from the original crew that are still hanging in there.

Cons

Entire exec team was replaced recently, with a team of execs whose purpose seems to be to drive the company into the ground. Such a shame, as it was once a great place to work.
    Every single non-exec employee in the SF location is interviewing, and has been since last year. Working with the indian offshore teams necessitates extraordinary working hours, since you will also be working with an offshore team in the same TZ as SF.
    The people who are just good at bullying but were never good at anything hands-on are the ones who have been promoted in recent months, while smart productive workers are being laid off and replaced with offshore resources.
    Horrible place to even consider working. Believe the bad reviews - the good ones are being posted by execs.

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you have concerns or questions, the CEO invites you to come into his office to talk one-on-one. His positive energy and enthusiasm for creating a cohesive culture starts from the top and I applaud Daniel for always giving 200%. There are a lot of really smart people at Switchfly and I have yet to experience "I am the smartest person in the room" mentality that you see at other tech firms. Quite frankly, it is refreshing. I give Switchfly double thumbs up. A great place to work primarily because of the awesome people and a very healthy work/life balance.

Cons

A lot of people work offsite and offshore so office isn't as bustling as it could be.