Synthetic Genomics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 1, 2017

2.3

Interviews for Top Jobs at Synthetic Genomics

Research Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Synthetic Genomics.

Interview

I was called to schedule an interview, and was left a message to call a specific person back to schedule it. Called several times and left messages over the next week, never heard back or was followed up with to be able to schedule the interview. Left a bit of a bad taste.

Research Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Synthetic Genomics (Burlington, VT) in February 2017.

Interview

I had a phone interview with a Senior Manager at the company. He was very nice and clearly had a set of required questions he was listing off while he was busy interviewing me.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to talk about the company   1 Answer

Algal Interview

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Synthetic Genomics (La Jolla, CA).

Interview

There is one interview with HR, and then there is interviews of 30min-1hr length with different scientists or people in the same group. Whole durations of interviews were around 2hrs longs

Interview Questions

• There wasn't as such technical questions, however they asked bunch of question regarding my previous lab experiences and techniques i used.   Answer Question

MBA Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Synthetic Genomics.

Interview

I was contacted by HR about an MBA intern position I applied to. A phone interview was scheduled for the following week; however, nobody called. When I reached out to the secretary, she apologized and rescheduled my phone interview with the hiring manager. The day before the phone interview, I emailed HR to confirm the time of my phone interview for the next day. HR replied that it had been postponed. How was I supposed to know that? SG is by far the most disorganized company I have ever dealt with.

After I was eventually interviewed, the hiring manager said he would be in touch with me in one week. Two weeks later I received an email stating that the entire position had been removed and they were no longer going to fill it. I am not optimistic about the outlook of this company. I would be surprised if they remain in business.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult questions asked during my phone interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Synthetic Genomics (San Diego, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Met a recruiter at a SIMB conference. Emailed him when an interesting position opened up a few months later. He set up a phone interview with the hiring manager and then an in-person interview a couple days later.

Interview Questions

• So, did you do a lot of restriction/ligation cloning in your previous jobs?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Interview

Recruited by a senior director at the company and was offered a position in a different department that was a better fit.

Interview Questions

• There were not too many technical questions. Some questions included knowledge of PCR, cloning.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Synthetic Genomics (San Diego, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

rigorous selection process with lots of technical questions. a light touch on behavior and fit questions.