Systems Evolution Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Systems Evolution Interview Questions

Interviews at Systems Evolution

Managing Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Dallas, TX) in December 2017.

Interview

The interview process was very thorough, which I appreciated. SEI does an excellent job of ensuring potential candidates are extensively vetted, yet ensures they are effectively communicated with and treated with the utmost respect through the process.

Interview Questions

• Can you take a moment to provide one or two examples of your most difficult client situations, how you addressed them, and the ultimate outcome of your efforts?   Answer Question
    • Can you take a moment to describe a situation in your career where you did not deliver on your customer's expectations, and how you navigated the situation with both your team members and client stakeholders?   Answer Question

Technical Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2010.

Interview

"The Gauntlet" is a series of 5-10 interviews where the candidate is met with questions regarding their job skills, ideals, personality and social skills. It can feel a bit daunting at first, but as the process goes on you get a good pulse on the people and the company at which you're applying. It's a good process, and yet another example of how this company has put a lot of thought into a common problem and has come up with a rather unique solution that works very well.

Interview Questions

• I was tasked with writing code in any language on a napkin that should compile and that implemented a "Fizz Buzz" test.

Fizz Buzz:
      "Write a program that prints the numbers from 1 to 100. But for multiples of three print “Fizz” instead of the number and for the multiples of five print “Buzz”. For numbers which are multiples of both three and five print “FizzBuzz”."   1 Answer

Negotiation

I found my offer to be quite fair and felt negotiation was not necessary.

Staff Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution.

Interview

The SEI interview process is a deliberate one that focuses on making sure they are hiring the right person and the candidate fully understands SEI. I had 6 total interviews with 9 people and each one reassured me that SEI was the right place for me. The interviews came natural as I talked about my work experiences and the interviewers explained about their experiences with SEI and how they are different than other consulting companies. By the end of the process, I met quality people that were instant contacts once I officially accepted my offer.

Interview Questions

• They asked about the specifics around my project management experience and how I handled delivering difficult news to stakeholders   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Boston, MA) in June 2011.

Interview

Several peer inteviews with the firm's consultants usually outside the office environment, coffee at Starbucks, over lunch, etc. Great two way conversation to gauge fit on both sides of the table.

Interview Questions

• All questions were gear toward my background and how that would translate to being sucessful at the firm.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation is difficult as their bill rate and desired profitability for staff consultants will drive the salary they're willing to pay.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.

Interview

While the interview process was somewhat lengthy and rigorous, I enjoyed it immensely. SEI's approach is to have each candidate go through a series of 5 - 7 interviews affectionately referred to as "the gauntlet". For me, each interview was done over either coffee or lunch and involved having a conversation with either one or two experienced SEI consultants. SEI is focused on not only finding bright and capable individuals that can thrive as consultants embedded for months or years on client engagements, but also finding people with the right attitude, personality, and outlook to thrive in SEI's unique culture. They strive to find folks that can both work independently (with little to no direct supervision) but at the same time are passionate and committed to collaborating with their peers. The organization is very flat, but there is a clearly established and largely metric driven promotion process (designed around rewarding behaviors that align with SEI's model and principals). In short, I found the people refreshingly sincere about how much they love working at SEI and I have enjoyed getting to know them.

Interview Questions

• Are you prepared to be embedded on a client engagement for months or even years serving in an individual contributor role, if that's what the client and SEI need you to do? And if so, how would you keep yourself sharp and engaged throughout?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

The "gauntlet" is an extensive interview process in which current consultants drive the conversation. You will likely have 6-8 interviews before a decision is made. This not only allows a thorough vetting of skills, but also allows the candidate to be certain about the decision to join. The process will also include a happy hour setting to help determine your social skills and cultural fit.

Interview Questions

• How will you specifically contribute to the business outside of your consulting assignment?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Cincinnati, OH).

Interview

The Gauntlet process was great. It was lengthy, however it is the perfect opportunity for SEI to determine whether I was a good fit for them and for me to do the same. More companies should spend the time to do this.

Interview Questions

• If you were placed into a client and given the opportunity to work on a project that you knew very little about, how would you feel about accepting that project and what are some of the steps you would take to get familiar with it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

Grueling but rewarding interview process referred to as the Gauntlet. Had 7 separate interviews with consultants and the market director where I got to know fellow consultants on a professional and personal level. The interview process gives a full understanding of the culture and the company. If you make it through the interview process then you know 100% that you belong at SEI

Interview Questions

• No question stood out. The most difficult part is the number of inteviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution (Atlanta, GA) in December 2013.

Interview

- I had an initial phone screen from the Cincinnati office. They asked me the standard interview questions: where have you worked before, what did you do there, why are you looking for something new, and why SEI? The interview was very conversational and easy going.
    - I then met with the Managing Director who really dug into my experience and the roles I held at my various positions. He also explained the compensation structure and mentioned, that from his initial impressions, I seemed a good cultural fit for the company and I would proceed into "The Gauntlet". He also warned that the tough interviews were still ahead of me.
    - Afterwards, I received several emails from the Cincinnati office asking for my availability. Some of the interview requests were on short notice (like same-day), but being near a rail line and close downtown, I had no issues with making it to the interviews.
    - I had a total of 6 interviews in "The Gauntlet" and they were all incredibly easy going and conversational. The conversation would flow from questions on previous project work I've done, to theory on why I was doing that work (how my work fit into the overall goals of the project), back to when the interviewer faced a similar situation. Each interview felt like I was casually talking shop with a colleague, rather than a formal interviewer/interviewee setup. As the interviews went on, I noticed that the questions became a bit more technical and I could tell they were trying to vet if my resume matched my technical background and PM skills. Each interview was equal parts about me and equal parts about how SEI functions.
    - Each interviewer was incredibly open to questions about SEI, its flat structure, and the expectations from its consultants. It really didn't feel like I could ask a "wrong or inappropriate question" about how SEI functioned. What I really liked is that the interviewers were genuinely enthusiastic about the SEI and the enthusiasm was infectious. After about interview four, I found myself excited about the possibility of getting an offer from SEI and hoped that it wasn't too good to be true.
    - After my sixth Gauntlet interview, the Managing Director reached out to me about salary expectations. I had a standing offer so I had some room to negotiate, but the salary offered and agreed upon was fair (and very competitive).

Interview Questions

• Unexpected: Explain what OBIEE is to me in the simple terms.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Able to negotiate because I had a standing offer elsewhere.

Staff Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Systems Evolution.

Interview

The interview process consists of 8-12 interviews, all of which are conducted over coffee, lunch, or happy hour which allows for a much more relaxed setting. Aside from one interview with the Managing Director, all other interviews are with various consultants within the company. I thoroughly enjoyed the interview process because it gave me plenty of time to leave the interview, think about the position and have additional opportunities to ask other questions I thought of. Throughout the interview process you can easily tell the employees there are happy and enjoy working for SEI and thoroughly support the company.

In addition, it was nice meeting 10 or so people prior to taking the job, that way at the first employee staff meeting it was not as awkward because I already knew so many people.

Meeting various consultants that had been with SEI for various amounts of time with all different backgrounds was also refreshing as I did not come from the consulting world.

Interview Questions

• I can't recall a question that completely caught me by surprise, all of the questions were justified - why I wanted to make the career change, why consulting, my future career goals, what I could contribute to the company, my career history, etc.   Answer Question