TNTP Teaching Fellows Interview Questions | Glassdoor

TNTP Teaching Fellows Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

3.1

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online, I got an email asking me to choose a time for a phone interview, I had the phone interview and a few days, later I got an email that I had been accepted into the program.

Interview Questions

• If I had students disrupting the class by using their cell phones how would I handle it?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Very Helpful and Great. I was given information about the position and how my skills would benefit if I was offered a place in the program. The phone interview went really well and I was offered a spot in the program 2 weeks later.

Anonymous Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

The first step is online application. Then if chosen, you schedule a phone interview. My interviewer called me twenty minutes late. I don't know if this was on purpose to see if it rattled me or if it was because she was running behind. She didn't apologize for it. The interview was 25 minutes.

Interview Questions

• What percentage do you feel responsible for a student showing up late to class everyday? The student has a single mom that has to work so she can't bring the student. The student has to take the bus but hangs out with his friends before coming to class.   Answer Question
    • The teacher that had your class last year told you not to expect much progress with the students last year. What do you say?   Answer Question

I thought the whole process was crazy. I got a job offer based on an online application and short phone interview. I wanted to know more about the program before accepting. I would have loved a group in person information session. I was also scared that I would not like it because I was assigned Special Education and I didn't want to be stuck paying for the program. If you are young and single this might be right for you. I'm married and have a baby and just decided it wasn't for me.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows in April 2016.

Interview

Interview was less than 25 minutes. Very scripted and some of the questions did not make sense at all. The interviewer was far from interested in know anything about me. Additionally, it was not clear who will be making the decision after the phone interview.

DC Teaching Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

They asked questions like why do you want to participate in this program? How will this help you in your future aspirations? What is your prior experience? But overall the interview process was long and intense for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (Washington, DC) in December 2015.

Interview

The phone interview was very totally scripted-- the interviewer gave a summary of herself and then asked me to summarize my experience in a few sentences, but that was the only part of the whole thing that was personal. Mostly questions about different scenarios: a student who is chronically late to class, your students not improving at the same rate as other classes. There were some percentages about responsibility that were similar to the written portion, and a question about prioritizing tasks for your first day of school.

The interviewer also asked what I would do if the copier at my school was broken on the first day, which was kind of weird. The role playing was super awkward but easy enough. There were two scenarios: one about passing notes and one about students with cell phones, easy enough to answer using the what-to-do model from Teach like a Champion.

Overall it was fine but very cold / formal, they give you an email address to contact with any questions at the end but won't answer any questions on the phone call.

Interview Questions

• What percentage of a student arriving on time to school is your responsibility? What are some reasons that percentage would change?   Answer Question
    • Another teaching fellow tells you that the material during your summer school training is too hard and the kids will never learn it. How do you respond to him?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows.

Interview

Short and scripted. They refer to your written answers and also ask questions that are based on some reading they assign prior to the interview. They will present a classroom situation and ask that you respond as if you are in charge of the class. The interviewer will then give you feedback and ask you to do it again.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a student passing a note in class?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Orleans, LA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (New Orleans, LA) in November 2015.

Interview

Fill out short answer application the wait about a week to get results that you may move forward then get called for phone interview. Phone interview was 30 minutes..about you questions, role play, etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a challenging child I your class?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't get to that point yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First there is an online application. It asks all the typically questions as well as some location specific questions. After that, you may or may not be invited to an interview. If you are invited to interview it is over the phone. it is 30 minutes long and they ask you some more questions. After that you get a response within a week or so.

Interview Questions

• Given different situations that come up in a school, such as kids not listening or many students preforming poorly, how would you react?   Answer Question

Senior Effectiveness Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at TNTP Teaching Fellows.

Interview

Received email shortly after applying online. Had morning phone interview and then heard back a week later that I had not advanced (fairly boiler plate email). No reasons given, but was encouraged to apply for other positions. It's hard to know what exactly this company is looking for since I considered myself highly qualified for this position and at least expected to get to the second round.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is more important for a first-year teacher: student engagement or academic rigor?   Answer Question