Teach For India Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Teach For India Interview Questions

Interviews at Teach For India

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach For India in October 2014.

Interview

The day will be divided in two parts. In the first half, you will be tested on your teaching skills through a mock teaching lesson, your team work and critical thinking skills will be tested in a role play interview or group discussion. Post this round, some of the chosen candidates will proceed towards the interview stage. The interview is usually intense and lasts for a good one hour.

Tips:
    1. Prepare well for the mock teaching.

- Be engaging (hint: fun exercises that your students can participate in)

- Think how you could show yourself as a nontraditional teacher (hint: search exemplary lesson plans on a topic of your choice and adapt from that).

- Do a check for understanding with the students, before you proceed to the next topic.

- Start your lesson simple and gradually make it rigorous.

- You will also be tested on how you adapt if the class doesn't respond to your plan well. Don't be scared to think on your feet and deviate from your originally thought of plan.

2. Be clear on why you want to do the fellowship, what motivates you and your future goals. There is no right answer to that. Just think of how it fits with what you have done and what you aim to do. Think of the skills you will gain in the Fellowship that can help you in your next job.

3. Read the application form that you sent in the first round thoroughly before you go. While your situations may have changed, avoid factual inconsistencies between your application and what you say in the interview , it might be seen with doubt.

4. Behavioral Interview: Think of instances in your past job/ as a student when you displayed team work, when you led a team, when you were able to organize your affairs well and what did you learn from these instances. Think of how did you navigate a difficult team situation and what was your response. Think of times when you failed to be <insert good adjectives> and what was the reason behind it. How have you changed since that time and what will you do differently if you were to go back in time to the same situation. (Hint: Don't say you wouldn't do anything differently; think of areas where there was scope for improvement)

5. Be genuine. Be yourself. Do not fret. While the selection rate is low, highly motivated people with the right intentions do get in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you set a big goal. How did you plan to achieve it? What challenges did you face? How did you overcome them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach For India (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

The assesment day consisted of two parts- a short lesson of 5 minutes and a final 1:1 interview of 40 minutes.

The 5 minutes lesson went well and when I went for the interview there was only one interviewer. She was asking me questions and also typing herself in her laptop which was little uncomfortable to me as I wasn't sure if she was listening me properly.

Interview Questions

• Describe yourself?   2 Answers
    • A hypotetical situation: you are a teacher in a school teaching 3rd graders and your principal hasn't hired an english teacher even when he promised that he would soon. how would you convinve him?   2 Answers

Fellow Interview

Interview

Submission of application followed by a phone interview- mostly behavioral followed by a assessment session- includes a 5 min teaching sample, interview and 2 role-plays as well as a problem solving test.

Interview Questions

• How will you deal with a class that is succeeding differentially.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach For India (Hyderabad (India)) in June 2017.

Interview

Got a call after applying online application in the server. Was asked about the organization and job role. It was a call for about 5 minutes. The HR was in a very hurry mode and cut the call after 5 minutes

Interview Questions

• Was asked about the organization and job role   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach For India.

Interview

There are 2 - 3 interviews over a period of 1 month sometimes. It starts with a basic HR interview and then technical round to assess for the role you are applying for. The interview is a mix of role play, life situations and personality assessment.

Negotiation

Usually people do not negotiate thinking it is an NGO, but there is scope to negotiate for what you think you should be paid, they will oblige if they feel you are worth it. This is only for staff positions. Fellowship is fixed stipend.

Internship Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Teach For India.

Interview

I applied for the position online and was contacted almost immediately! They were very professional throughout the process. The interview was easy, because the role involved interacting with students, they gave me a bunch of scenarios involving students and schools.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if during an exam you caught a child copying?   1 Answer
    • How did you find out about the internship?   1 Answer
    • Why are you motivated to apply for this position?   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Teach For India (New Delhi (India)) in February 2018.

Interview

One screening round of CV and another telephonic interview to confirm my availability. Followed by one video interview for almost an hour, then offer letter. It was a smooth process and very comfortable processs.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Teach For India (New Delhi (India)).

Interview

i first filled out the online application (a google doc)
    this was followed by telephonic interview, which lasted for about five minutes.
    finally i was called for group interview at the TFI office where they were interviewing people together in groups of 4-5 people.

Interview Questions

• Questions were fairly easy and basic. One situation based question was given.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Teach For India (Mumbai (India)) in April 2016.

Interview

1. I had actually applied for a full time staff position on the website. The HR called in and asked why TFI, what's the model etc?
    2. Then I received a mail stating it can't be taken forward, however they shared an internship opportunity for the same job description
    3. A telephonic interview with the Sr. Operations Head followed suit
    4. A Skype interview with the HR

Final roll out of the internship. Really long time frame to finally get the internship; applied way back in Feb & rolled out in April

Interview Questions

• Operations interview:
      1. Previous job role
      2. TFI model
      3. Have you taken interviews and surveys? How effective were they? What could have been done better?
      4. What is your understanding of the position?
      5. What is your understanding of strategy?
      6. How would you carry out the analyses?

HR interview:
      1. What is the TFI model? What is Maya? What is the Theory of Change?
      2. Strengths, weaknesses
      3. What do you want to do after this?
      4. Are you fine with the pay-cut, if offered a job later?   Answer Question

Campus Ambassador Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hyderabad (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Teach For India (Hyderabad (India)) in June 2013.

Interview

I've applied for Teach for India after I've seen post for it on my University facebook page. They didn't offer any pay but I thought working with Teach for India would help me build my attitude and contacts. After I've applied I've been called for Teach for India's regional center. I've been asked what I knew about Teach for India. What I thought about education system in India. I enjoyed the discussion.