Tessella Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Tessella Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tessella (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied online, then did a phone interview during which I was asked about my current research, what sorts of analyses I did while I was in graduate school, and my coding languages. I was also asked about salary requirements and my goals for my career. I then went to an on-site interview which lasted an 8 hour day, during which I gave a 15 minute presentation on a topic of my choice and completed a coding exercise in a coding language of my choice.

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

I applied online via Tessella's somewhat extensive, homemade application (reminded me of applying for college, they even asked for my SAT scores). Perhaps two weeks later I received a request to interview. I was called by an employee at the company who asked a variety of extremely corporate style questions (I don't remember all of them, but of the same ilk and ingenuity as "what is your greatest weakness" over the course of an hour or so). The interviewer wasn't harsh exactly but did seem to me to be extremely chilly (as with other Tessella employees I interacted with).

Data Scientist/Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Tessella in April 2017.

Interview

After submitting the application, I received an invitation to interview. For the phone interview, I talked with a senior member on the team. The conversation was professional and courteous. I was asked about my background and why I was interested in the company. After the interview, unfortunately I was informed that they were unable to proceed with my application. Even though my candidacy did not advance, I think the whole application process was fair and transparent. My overall experience was positive.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my past experience and why I was interested in the company   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Worcester, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tessella (Worcester, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

For the 1st phone call, no technical questions. firstly, the interviewer made an introduction of the company, then asking some basic questions about yr background, what's yr expectation at the company. it's more like doing a background survey. no technical questions. she also scheduled a second phone call next week. But when I emailed her asking about the details, she said it had been cancelled.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Tessella in August 2015.

Interview

First interview was a phone interview. Asked a little about my background and told me about the company. Asked one or two technical questions. They were simple, but I think my background didn't fit what they wanted (Java developers). Couldn't answer my specific questions about the company. Came off as a somewhat pretentious place to work, one that I don't think I would actually enjoy.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Tessella (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online and heard back after around a week. I had a phone interview, and was turned down for an onsite interview. I did not think the phone interview went well, as I could not answer some of the technical questions. I felt that as soon as I admitted I could not answer one of the technical questions, I was out of the running.

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tessella (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

I am a recent engineering graduate (not in Computer Science) and I submitted an application online. A few days later I received an email about scheduling a phone interview. The person I spoke to was friendly. He did a lot of the talking, and a lot of my answers were yes/no answers to questions like: Would you be willing to travel to client location? He asked three basic programming concept questions. My programming background was essentially just two programming classes but programming is something I really enjoy.

Interview Questions

• I'm not sure which part of the interview made them not want to call me back, but if I had to do it again, I would emphasize my programming ability and experience. That is what they really care about.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Tessella (Houston, TX) in August 2012.

Interview

I was contacted a week before the actual interview by phone & e-mail. I was contacted by a woman with an English accent , but the actual interview was with a man who spoke in a thick Chinese accent. He asked me basic programming questions for 20 minutes, then talked about the companies goals for 20 minutes.

Graduate Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tessella in August 2017.

Interview

Initially a Skype interview with a member of the recruitment team, asking questions that probe your previous work experience and education and their relevance to the role, such as particular computational aspects of projects you have worked on etc.
    Afterward are basic questions, in my case, on object oriented programming.

I have yet to be rejected or offered to attend an assessment day however I would decline in either case for the following reasons:

a) After asking the interviewer questions about the graduate development aspects of working for Tessella, it became clear that there isn't any form of planned development or any form of graduate scheme at all, just ~150 hrs of 'training' that just sounds like personal research without accreditation or guidance and a time-code to fill up hours between project work. This is a shortcoming considering so many other employers offer actual structured graduate schemes.

b) After reading reviews on here, it appears like you don't get any kind of say what kind of projects you get to be working on, which doesn't really appeal to me considering I would be spending a significant amount of my time working on them.

I find it strange that a company that are clearly looking for talented, highly educated and technically skilled individuals do not seem to know what would attract and retain them.

Data Scientist/Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Tessella (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied in June and had a telephone interview the next week. Lasted around an hour. Roughly 20 minutes on my CV, 20 minutes on my coding knowledge/ data science knowledge and 20 minutes them talking about the company and the role.

Interview Questions

• What would you do first if given some data that is just a list of numbers with no other information?   Answer Question