Travelzoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Travelzoo Interview Questions

Interviews at Travelzoo

Contract Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo.

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. During the phone screen, the recruiter described the position and we discussed my qualifications and interest. Next came the Skype interview with Hiring Manager 1. This was an hour-long discussion about my qualifications (more in depth), plus a few follow up questions I posed regarding this person's position and visions for the vacancy (as it was a newly-created position). Next came the written exercise. This is where I tanked. It was essentially a contract mark up. I did not get past the written exercise. Had I been successful, I would have had an in-person interview with Hiring Manager 2.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

While the staff members I interacted with were personable and friendly, I felt the company and interviewing process overall were a bit disorganized. There were long periods waiting for responses and I was forced to reschedule interviews and the writing test several times due to a number of issues that arose.

I was contacted within a day of submitting my application for the Associate Producer position asking my availability for a phone screening. I replied on a Friday afternoon (a little late notice, admittedly) suggesting a time the following Tuesday but did not hear back from the HR rep until the next Tuesday (HR was out of town). After agreeing on a time for later that week, the HR rep did not call at the scheduled time. An hour after our phone interview was supposed to start, I received an email explaining that meetings went over and the HR rep could not make the call (which is understandable).

The following week, I finally had my phone screening, after which I was asked to complete a writing exercise. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes and the questions were fairly standard (pointers would include doing some research on company and its products).

When it came time to do my writing test (you let the HR rep know when you have an hour or so to complete the exercise, which is timed and takes place over email), there were more scheduling problems. The first night, the test never arrived. The second night, the test also did not arrive on time, so I started to get ready for bed and was surprised to find it in my inbox 45 minutes later. The writing assignment was fairly easy and short; all you have to do is demonstrate you can write in Travelzoo style (i.e., for the Top 20 or Newflash page).

I was then brought in for a face-to-face interview with a Senior Producer. The interview was pretty standard and the questions were not too challenging. Again, I would recommend doing some research on Travelzoo's services (local deals, travel deals, what goes on the Top 20, etc.) and how they measure up to their competitors.

After meeting with the Senior Producer, I was asked to interview with the Executive Producer. Not really expecting this, I felt I had exhausted most of my energy and froze up a bit at the end when asked if I had any questions, which ended the interview kind of abruptly. I figure this is the primary reason I did not receive an offer (or even hear back from anyone regarding the position).

Overall, the interview process was pretty easy compared to other places I've applied, though the company does not seem to be the most organized and is definitely lacking in the communication department. Side note: my roommate (who has multiple years in the travel industry) also applied at Travelzoo for the Producer position and experienced similar problems (i.e., writing assignment not arriving the first time), ultimately never hearing back after this step.

Interview Questions

• Oddly, they also asked the Starbucks question (estimate how much Starbucks earns in revenue every year). I really didn't see how deducing this could demonstrate critical thinking ability (also, you would never go meet with a client without having done SOME research).

Another good question: How do you think our products/services compare to competitors' (i.e., local, travel, accommodation deals)?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelzoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Management on the East Coast. Always available means likely long hours. Role acts a hub for partners, publishers and consumers to vet deals. They are very serious about getting the best deals for consumers. Turn around time seems like it could be tight to manage all deals.

Interview Questions

• How do feel about multitasking in a very complex demanding high stress situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Applied online for Associate Producer position. Interviewed via phone and sent writing samples. Performed a writing test after phone interview. Called again for an in-person interview and an interview with the team. Interviewed on Halloween (people were dressed up, so office felt kind of fun) and felt very comfortable with the team members and hiring manager. Hiring manager asked me about my experiences traveling and looking for travel deals. She also had me estimate how much money Starbucks makes a year to see my problem solving skills. I felt very disadvantaged while interviewing because I was not financially able to travel abroad during college and travel experience/knowledge seemed to play a big role in the position.

The office is very open and seems to foster a collaborative, team atmosphere. Big windows and a ton of light, so it's not your typical 'cubicle-land.'

I interviewed on a Friday and heard back on Tuesday (in what seemed to be a copy/pasted rejection form) someone else matched the background and experience wanted. It sounds like the decision was already made before I interviewed. Followed up with a polite e-mail thanking them for their time asking a question and never received a response (after the e-mail explicitly stated to contact if I had any questions).

If you apply here, make sure you have experience traveling abroad! I feel that was a big reason why I was not offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Estimate how much Starbucks makes in a year.   1 Answer

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by HR after applying on company website. Phone interview first, followed by timed writing assessment (I was asked to write up a sample deal in one hour based on bullet-points provided). I received a couple of e-mails with further questions (e.g. did you study abroad, previous salary), but ultimately received a generic HR denial.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied through the website, and got a call from the head of production shortly afterwards. We had a phone interview. She sent me a timed writing test (I want to say the time limit was 50 minutes) at an agreed upon time. Then I arranged an in person interview with the heads of the vertical market. After my interviews with local dept heads, I was invited to interview with the president of North America. I was flown to Chicago for this process.

Interview Questions

• I was read real travel deals and had to guess the prices.   Answer Question

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo in February 2018.

Interview

Recruiter from NYC reached out to me via Linkedin for the position- requested I send my resume through email if I was interested. After a week she got back to me to me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview occurred 15 mins after our scheduled time & it really didn't seem as if she cared to actually learn what I could offer. I understand she must be screening 100s of people a week but, why waste both of our times if you've already decided on a candidate?

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Travelzoo (Mountain View, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

The interview was over the phone and very brief. They mainly just asked me what I knew about the position and the company. After less than ten minutes, they told me that they had a bunch of other people to get to and said that they would let me know later that week whether or not I would be moving forward in the process. It has been over three weeks and nothing. Guess that they are not interested, but it would have been nice to have gotten a definitive confirmation.

Web Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Travelzoo (Mountain View, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from recruiter soon after. Telephone interview was set up and it went well. The next one was on-site. 2 people and it was based on fundamentals and some experience. I enjoyed the interview process. I was called again to meet TL and it seemed like it went well. More of experience and background talk this time. After that nothing...no response and no mails. I tried contacting a few times and once I got they are still interviewing. This was quite disappointing as at least they should send some feedback or the standard email that brings sense of closure.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

They were very quick and efficient in communicating with me, and I was accepted for an interview really early after applying.We had a short phone interview and I was asked to come in for a formal interview a little later. They were nice to interview with and seemed really passionate about their job, and want their employers to feel the same.