Travelzoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Consisted of 2 phone screens (1 recruiter, 1 hiring manager), then 1 onsite interview split into a group interview and smaller individual interviews. Finally, there was an onsite timed exercise/task/design challenge.

Partnerships Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelzoo.

Interview

The interview process was normal and tiered with multiple rounds.

The final round was with the founder, who is a kind man, but what I found discouraging was the the way I was asked to do math with pen and paper.

As a person with a learning disability, I have found alternative ways of being very effective in my roles, but long handed math is not one of them.

Please be inclusive of all learning types when interviewing potential employees. Although this role was not a mutual fit, it’s important to consider that folks with alternate learning styles can still be successful.

Marketing Interview

Interview

VERY unprofessional interview process. Had an interview scheduled at the last minute (requiring me to rearrange my calendar) because the hiring manager was in town. Arrived at Travelzoo offices a few minutes before the scheduled time and was greeted by someone from HR, who told me they were running "a few minutes" behind. I waited 45 minutes without any further contact until the HR person came back and stated she would talk to me while the hiring manager was finishing up. She was largely unimpressive and spent most of the time peeking out the door to the room we were in to see if the hiring manager walked by. After we were done chatting, she went to find the hiring manager. The two of them returned to the room, at which time the hiring manager introduced himself and stated that he was triple booked and we would have to schedule a phone chat instead. I was sent home without talking to him (or anyone else) further.

Completely unprofessional experience. If this is indicative of their internal business operations, then I don't want anything to do with them anyway. To top it off, they did schedule a phone chat with the hiring manager the following week, only to cancel it the day before because they apparently decided I wasn't a good fit for the role after all. Why waste my time? I would avoid this company at all costs.

Associate Producer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo in February 2018.

Interview

Recruiter from NYC reached out to me via Linkedin for the position- requested I send my resume through email if I was interested. After a week she got back to me to me to schedule a phone interview. Phone interview occurred 15 mins after our scheduled time & it really didn't seem as if she cared to actually learn what I could offer. I understand she must be screening 100s of people a week but, why waste both of our times if you've already decided on a candidate?

Publisher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelzoo in July 2017.

Interview

The process started off very smoothly. I had a video interview with the recruiter and we spoke for almost 45 minutes. At the end she told me she was putting my application at the top of the list and that I would hear back in a few weeks. Less than a week later I got an email from the recruiter saying they were not moving forward with my application. Totally fine, but don't say things like, "You're a top candidate," unless you mean it.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied through Linkedin. Was invited to meet with HR manager, Head of HR and the President of the company. overall took 5 weeks since date of application. Fun and friendly team.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenging situation in your past employment and how did you handle the situation?   Answer Question

Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (New York, NY).

Interview

After getting through the initial interviews and timed assignment, I was flown to Chicago to meet the President of Travelzoo. Had been a great experience up until then. Despite the fact that I missed an entire day of work for this and had to take a red eye to travel across the country, there was absolutely NO appreciation for me coming in. Mike did not care about my prior work experience or what I was able to bring to the table, he didn't even give me an opportunity to tell him anything about myself nor ask him any questions I had. Instead, he spent the entire time quizzing me with next to impossible questions, which unless you have had the luxury of traveling the world and remembering every last detail (airport codes, miles from airport to city center, temperature in Fall, name of local hot spots, etc) you are destined to fail. Really disappointing experience, but ultimately glad I'm not working for someone like that. Just be warned, if you think getting asked to come meet the CEO/President/Head Producer is close to the end of your interview process, think again!

Human Resources Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

At first, responsive and welcoming. Initial video screen with recruiter in NYC. Went well, brought up next steps, in person interview and timing to hire the role. After a few days of no follow-up, proactively reached out to the recruiter who said they would be in touch to schedule 2nd rounds shortly. Nearly a month later and waiting to hear back. . .

I think i'll pass.

Office Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo.

Interview

I had a great experience with both the recruiter and then with the President of the company. They both seemed interested in the questions they asked and the answers that I provided. My last interview was not the same. The employee seemed very aloof and asked me questions that did not pertain to the job.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever traveled to Paris or Milan? Can you name the most popular places to shop in Paris or Milan?   1 Answer

Associate Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Travelzoo (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied through the website, and got a call from the head of production shortly afterwards. We had a phone interview. She sent me a timed writing test (I want to say the time limit was 50 minutes) at an agreed upon time. Then I arranged an in person interview with the heads of the vertical market. After my interviews with local dept heads, I was invited to interview with the president of North America. I was flown to Chicago for this process.

Interview Questions

• I was read real travel deals and had to guess the prices.   Answer Question

Assistant Producer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Travelzoo.

Interview

I applied to an Assistant Producer position. The process took 5+ weeks and it happened in the following order:

1. Pre-screening by HR through a 15 minute call. General questions to walk them through your resume and why you are interested in the position.
    2. Assignment through email. It takes 45 minutes and I was asked 2 questions. Know how to write a deal and how to put together an attractive description of a business.
    3. In person interview with HR. This meeting took about 1 hour and HR was very thorough with their questions.
    4. Interview with the Director of Production. 2 hr interview with a second assignment portion. Starbucks question was brought up as well as other assignments pertaining to revenue and the Top 20 deals.
    5. Interview with the CEO.

It was an extremely thorough process and it shows how much they care about putting the right candidate in their team. It was overall a very positive experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a deal you recently took advantage of and what made it so special.   Answer Question