U-Haul Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 20, 2017

1.9

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2017.

Interview

Very laid back. More of a conversation than a formal rigid questionnaire. More questions about how you, and your life experiences make you best for this SPECIFIC position, instead of "give me example where you demonstrated..." type interviews.

Interview Questions

Interview

interview is brief and easy going, nothing out of the ordinary. as long as you can talk to people you should be fine. be prepared and also come dressed in a appropraite manner

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work for uhaul   1 Answer

Social Media Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2017.

Interview

Very slow process. Whole thing took almost a month. Applied per suggestion of a recruiter, phone interview, basic skills test and prep interview with recruiter, then in person interview with the manager. Talking with the recruiter was great and really allowed for my passion for the company shine . The interview was only with the manager because the director couldn't make it. I thought it went well but he kept not asking questions and saying 'I think I know the answer already'. Don't think he even looked me up online or on my website like the recruiter said he would. Told me I would hear back by the end of the following week. Didn't hear anything until the week after and 2 emails later. Love the company but disappointed with the whole interview process with the manager.

Local Search Auditor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U-Haul.

Interview

Applied online through LinkedIn. Got setup with an initial phone screening. After that I went in person to take personality and knowledge assessments and met with the recruiter which was pretty easy. My second interview the following week was with the team lead and a senior member, they were both very nice and asked a lot of the same basic interview questions digging into my experience and fit. The last interview was with the department director who was like all the other interviewers, very nice and easy to talk to but with a lot more questions more aimed at my expectations, aspirations, and life in general.

I felt and was told by recruiter that all 3 interviews went well and that they just had to finish interviewing the other candidates before a final decision in a week or so. Well after a week and a half of waiting, I followed up reiterating my interest in the role and company and asking about my job status. The response was that no decision was made yet and to wait. I followed up again another week later and was told pretty much the same exact response that no decision was made and I'm still in consideration. In fact that's all I was ever told, never got an offer or a rejection.

Assistant Manager/Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Abilene, TX

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at U-Haul (Abilene, TX) in April 2017.

Interview

I found the listing for the job online. I went into the store and asked for the manager to introduce myself. The manager was not available. I asked an associate if they were hiring. I was told that he didn't think so, but was I sure I wanted a job there, and asked if I knew about trailers. I told him "yes." He was casually leaned up on the counter, he looked me up and down and then asked if I realized trailers were heavy. As a woman, I was a little shocked to be mansplained about the weight of a trailer. I didn't have any idea that my sex had any bearing on my ability to perform the job for which I was applying. I told him that yes, I realized they are heavy and that I had spent almost 20 years in the construction industry and was very familiar with trailers. He stood up, started taking me seriously, and informed me that the Assistant Manager was leaving in a few months and they were probably trying to replace him. He then introduced me to the Assistant Manager. I asked him if they were hiring and he looked me up and down, licked his lips with his too long mustache hair curling over them, and told me no. I asked him if he thought they would have a position available in the future and he told me no. It has been two weeks and the positions are still posted on Indeed and Texas Workforce Commission and U-Haul's corporate site. I am in my forties and spent the majority of my adult life working in a male dominated field and I have never until that day felt that I was discriminated against because of my sex. U-haul should be ashamed and should definitely provide some training to their employees regarding fair hiring practices.

Interview Questions

• Didn't get that far because I have breasts.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Yonkers, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U-Haul (Yonkers, NY).

Interview

I was referred to the U-Haul Moving and Storage of Westchester by my brother, who was an employee at the time. The manager, told me to apply online, and submit my resume. After about a week, she contacted me and asked me to come in for an interview. I sat with her in her office, and she asked me standard and general questions that most employers ask. She asked me about my schedule and what I qualities I believed would benefit the company. I aced the interview, and two days later, She called me back and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you believe you have that can benefit the company? Are you willing to submit a drug test? What customer service experience have you had, if any? Give me an example of a time that you were faced with a difficult situation, and how did you resolve the issue?   Answer Question

Area Field Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at U-Haul (Dallas, TX).

Interview

In-depth description of job responsibilities and what a day today activity would be for that position. Also questioned about my work history and about me. He gave a good picture of what the job responsibilities would be.

Interview Questions

• And I feel about prospecting   1 Answer

Social Media Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at U-Haul (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

The interview process seems to be going very smoothly. I have a group interview scheduled for Friday and overall i'm pretty happy with the process and look forward to receiving an offer and other things..

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at U-Haul (Kansas City, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

The whole interview process was seamless. They had about 20 people they brought in for interviewing. They gave everyone a tour of the warehouse and had everyone pick up a 55 lb box. Then we went back into the main waiting room and they had about 4 people doing interviews. The interviews lasted about 5-7 mins each and were very straight forward no trick or difficult questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at U-Haul in March 2017.

Interview

I completed an application online and got a call from a recruiter probably 3-4 weeks after submitting an application for the role. Completed the 15-20 minute phone screen with a recruiter. At the end of the phone screen I was invited to do "testing" to see if I qualified for an interview. Took a personality test at home before going to the testing site. At the testing site, I met the recruiter I had spoken with on the phone for approximately 30 seconds. The remainder of the time I checked back with two women who really just seemed to hand out tests and sign in candidates who there for interviews. Testing took roughly an hour and was done in a small room. Testing consisted of a typing exam, creating a document, and a grammar exam (see interview question for more details on each). There wasn't really anyone to ask questions to on creating the document and guidelines were fairly unclear in terms of what was expected. Once I submitted my testing, I asked the two front desk women about a timeline on when I might hear from someone about if I'd get an interview. They didn't have a clear timeline. After about 2 days without hearing anything, I emailed the recruiter. The recruiter told me a manager would get back to me within about two weeks time. It's been months now, and I never heard anything further from anyone at the company. Never got an automated email stating I didn't qualify for an interview. Nothing. I took time off my current job to go in to test. I feel a follow up email, even to say I didn't qualify, would be respectful of the company. I would not recommend taking an interview or this test if it's offered. Personally, I feel I wasted my time and 4 hours of PTO at my current job. Additionally, I think it says a fair amount about the company as they are incapable of completing an extremely basic function of sending a generic, automated "thanks for applying, but no thanks" email.