Udemy Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Udemy Interview Questions

Interviews at Udemy

Community Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Udemy (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter reached out to me and she was a pleasure to work with. Had a few phone screens, homework assignment and got the rare in house interview. Really thought i had this in the bag but 2 days later I got the rejection call saying they changed their mind about the role and aren't hiring anyone.
    These bait & switch tactics are a terrible way to treat anyone looking to work at a company. Sadly it left me angry and upset. I had such a great experience leading up to the final call.
    Oh and to top it off the job is open again but of course I didn't hear from them. Complete waste of my time and theirs.

Interview Questions

• gave me a scenario....why do you think engagement is down?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Udemy (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, followed by phone interview with manager/director + in-person round robin with present team. I wasn't a fit for the role, which was only evident in round 2. Nice people!

Interview Questions

• How did you learn about Udemy?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Udemy in May 2014.

Interview

I applied for the Community Manager Internship via their website and heard back from them very quickly. I received an assignment that was to be completed over the weekend. It contained two small tasks (drafting a en e-mail response to a member complaint and coming up with ideas how to create more user engagement). I received an e-mail from their International Ambassador just half a day after I submitted it. We agreed to talk on the phone two days later. She was very nice and made me feel comfortable. She answered all my questions about the internship, told me what they expect, what the company's values are, etc. The phone call lasted about 20 minutes. About a week later I got another e-mail in which I was asked whether I could meet them for a final-round interview.

I was greeted by the International Ambassador when I came into the office. She explained the interview process to me, showed me around a little and, again, made me feel comfortable and welcome. She then let me talk to their current Community Manager, who was also very friendly. She asked me a few questions about my background, my goals, my expectations and so on. She repeated a question from the previous assignment about ideas to foster more community engagement and asked me about social media strategies.
    I thought the interview was very fair and not that difficult. Unfortunately, when I e-mailed both women I had talked to that day, they told me they had decided to proceed with another candidate. I asked for feedback on what I could have done better and was told that the other candidate seemed to want the internship more and had researched the company really well in addition to also having a stronger marketing background.

Overall it was a pleasant experience and Udemy looks like a fun place to work as the people there are great!

Interview Questions

• In the assignment I was asked to come up with more ideas how engage with their community. However, one of their communities is a private Facebook group they didn't give me access to. Therefore it was difficult to get an idea of all their existent communities and how they manage them.   1 Answer

Udemy Response

Nov 4, 2014 – Lead Technical Recruiter

Hi there, this is Maggy with the Recruiting and HR team at Udemy. Thanks so much for your review of our interview process! We wish you good luck in your job search!

Paralegal Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Udemy (San Francisco, CA) in May 2018.

Interview

I've had a number of interviews at tech companies and law firms in San Francisco Bay Area, and Udemy's interview process was probably one of the most pleasant, transparent and efficient interviews I've ever had. I was referred by a former colleague of mine, and from then the entire process moved really quickly. My recruiter was super helpful and transparent throughout the whole time and was able to quickly get back to me to my follow up questions. I had a couple phone interviews (one with the recruiter and another one with the hiring manager), then I was invited for the on-site interview. I met with 4 different people and they were all extremely professional. The interviewers were very well prepared with what they want to ask from their positions and the questions I received were all very well thought out and relevant to my role, experience and skills. Overall, it was a super positive experience! People at Udemy truly value your expertise and that was exactly my first impression. The whole process from the initial phone screening to the offer probably took 2 weeks. The recruiting team here is super fast!

Interview Questions

• When you're asked to do multiple tasks at the same time, how do you prioritize them? Any examples?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Udemy (Oakland, CA).

Interview

Standard hiring process. Initial recruiter call, 2nd call with manager, then onsite meeting with 4 different employees. Everything was smooth up until after the onsite. A week passed and I followed up asking for an update and I got a response back from the initial recruiter stating that they really enjoyed meeting me and they are still finishing up interview rounds with other candidates. Recruiter said they would get back asap when they have came to a decision. A week later passed, i followed up and no response what so ever. I just think its pretty unprofessional to not keep your word. I guess giving the cold shoulder to people who were intrested in their company is okay to them.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Udemy.

Interview

Three hour interview. Recruiter was initially very responsive before the onsite, but proceeded to become very unresponsive and unkind after. Total lack of empathy. Interviewers were great and treated me with respect.

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Udemy (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

First I met with the team on site and had lunch for a culture fit. Then had a 30 minute phone call with the Director of Engineering following that. He just jumped into grilling me with technical questions from the beginning.

Interview Questions

• Asked about HTTP, what happens when you go to a website, cookies, caching, XML, Network Developer tools, CSS methods   1 Answer

Udemy Response

Sep 29, 2015 – HR/Recruiting Coordinator

Thank you for the feedback regarding your interviewing experience at Udemy. We definitely take the candidate experience seriously. We understand that Glassdoor reviews are anonymous, but if you'd... More

Junior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Udemy (San Francisco, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

So I was first contacted by email to set up a phone interview. I as interviewing for a software engineering position hoping that I could get in as an intern or junior. They had no junior positions open, but I saw that they had senior positions open, so I know with seniors comes juniors, so I decided to give it a shot. Anyways so I did the phone interview, it was comprised of various javascript problems and other types of technical questions.

I was invited to come into Udemy for face to face interview. This was a really long 4-5 hour interview with different engineers, HR and the VP of engineering. There was backend, frontend, DB questions. questions about my education and previous job as well as other stuff.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was about salary. It was a pretty straight forward question and put me on the spot. I gave them a number and was pretty quickly told that it was too high haha. Never hurts in asking or giving an honest response though.   1 Answer

Negotiation

This was a bit rocky. I was given an offer on the phone and I asked if I could have time, And they gave me only a couple days to decide. This put me on the spot and did not allow me to leverage my other opportunities. Smart on their part of course, but just giving you a heads up, negotiations are aggressive here.

Leadership Role Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Udemy.

Interview

Felt like non-stop grilling, only in my last interview session did I get an opportunity to ask some questions. I left that day of interviews learning zero about the company, the role, and their day-to-day. Killed any enthusiasm I had and was pretty fine with not receiving an offer.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Udemy (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I first head about a position at Udemy via a Hacker News post, authored by their lead technical recruiter (Maggy Hillen). When I sent an initial email, I was surprised at how responsive and polite she was. We scheduled an initial phone call according to my schedule, and we spoke about past experiences and various technologies I'd used. I was impressed by the level of technical knowledge she had, as well as her candor when I asked (in my opinion) difficult questions about the company's success and culture.

Following that call, we scheduled a follow up technical interview (~4 days later) with one of Udemy's senior engineers (Cansin), and we walked through the design of a RESTful API within a Google document. T he conversation was technical and interesting, as well as informative.Within a few hours, Maggy asked if I would be willing to fly to their offices for an in-person technical interview. She put me in contact with Jennifer, who handled all travel arrangements.

The in-person interview was long (~5 hours) but not tedious and each session was 1:1 or 1:2. I was also able to take a break for lunch with the company. It was a pleasant experience, and everyone made me feel welcome. The interview questions were broad (ranging from JavaScript API questions to Python decorators) but not difficult.

The day after my in-person interview I was given a verbal offer, followed quickly by a written offer. The few questions I had about my contract were quickly resolved by the VP of engineering, and I was delighted to accept. Overall, the best interview experience I've had.

Interview Questions

• RESTful API design questions.   1 Answer