Urban Decay Cosmetics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

Sort:

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 12+ months. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Newport Beach, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

I was interviewed a total of 4 times. The initial position I had applied for was filled by founder's best friend. Eventually they 'created' a position for me. I was hired about 6 months after my last interview. As with most things with Urban Decay the hiring and interview process was completely disorganized and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• I was asked why I was friends with a particular person on Facebook. Apparently the person interviewing me didn't like said person (who I barely knew anyway).   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate for a cent more. I advise anyone looking to work here to steer clear. Working in such a hostile environment is not worth all the money in the world...and they under-pay everyone!!!

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Newport Beach, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee and initially the process was very unconventional for me. I met with the department head and she seemed OK, but my desire to work for this brand overshadowed my instinct, which told me something was very off. This was the most unprofessional experience I have ever had interviewing- ever- and I attribute it all to the department head who was insulting, rude, disrespectful, and condescending. After I met with her via the employee referral, I was ushered into their formal recruiting process. Spoke with a recruiter for a phone screen and she was great. Was asked to block off two hours and come in for an interview. Met with a few people in the department and they were all honestly very friendly and professional. Met with the department head again who entered the interview room and was so insulting, immediately told me that I'm not intelligent enough for the position I was applying for. I won't go into further details but suffice to say her explanation as to why I'm not fit for the role carried on for about 15 minutes and everything she said was incredibly unprofessional and rude. I couldn't even get a word in to defend myself or ask why my time had been wasted.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Newport Beach, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone Screening/Interview. The interviewer was very nice and personable. We went over my resume together and she asked specific questions regarding my past experience, the types of accounts I've managed and the value of those accounts. At this time she also provided additional details regarding the job opportunity and advised that she would be reaching out to her hiring managers to schedule an in person interview. Overall this part of the process was great!

Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oakbrook Terrace, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Oakbrook Terrace, IL) in January 2015.

Interview

My interview was the quickest most relaxing one this far. She first asked me my availability then asked why did I choose to work for the company. Also of i knew history about tje company (which i did) lastly she asked my zodiac sign (very wierd) never had that happen. Basically she wanted to know.if hired how well i would get along with all of the ladies. We head back to the counter for the "audition" part and she gives me a set of brushes and says "relax you can do whatever you like, it doesn't have to be a full face application and of I have any questions about a specific product just ask." I was more excited than nervous. As I waited to a customer, I looked around and tested the makeup on my hand. I asked her what was the latest product besides the Vice palette, just so I could be ready. A customer finally comes in and asks for eyebrow pencils, I brought her over to the eye pencils and eyebrow powder that o was playing with earlier. I asked her how often does she wear makeup? what color does she want? Then she said she wants green. Green? I thought , ok so I showed her green, forest green, even blue green but she wasn't satisified. I offered to apply it on her and I even swatched them on my hand and hers to show the pigmentation. The whole time the interviewer, Pam was directly behind me listening. Well, I didnt get the sell and the lady went to another counter, but Pam was so surprised at how well I did. She gave me so much praise. Don't go there thinking about the artistry aspect because they want to see how well you can sell.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No they offer great pay

Makeup Artist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (San Jose, CA).

Interview

I was flagged down by the counter manager as I was walking through Macy's, who ended up asking for my resume after a minute of talking. An interview was scheduled for me 3 days later, and the actual verbal interview lasted about 30 minutes long. We then did the audition part of the interview, where I actually had to pull a customer from the floor and do their makeup. I managed to snag a customer in less than 10 minutes, and did her eye makeup for her. She ended up purchasing $80 worth of makeup, which the counter manager was pleased with. He then called up his senior managers, who came by to meet me, and one of them actually interviewed me as well on the spot. A few days later, they scheduled a phone interview for me with the other senior manager, and the same day, was called back and asked to submit my information for the background check, which is the final stage of the hiring process.
    They drug test you as well. It's a urine drug test outsourced through a different company.
    For your interview, make sure to wear all black and a full face of makeup.

Global Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newport Beach, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Newport Beach, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Talked about what was required of the role, related experience and skills to those needed for the role. Talked about work environment and how the role came about being created and what they thought they wanted for the person filling the role.

Interview Questions

• What is your experience with Excel?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Costa Mesa, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I first did a phone interview, it went great and they wanted me to come in for an In Person interview. I went and interviewed with a total of 3 people. Very relaxed environment and I felt it went really well. I was told I would hear what next steps were soon. Just got a call back this evening and am going to do a hands on/practical interview next of my makeup skills. Very Excited and looking forward to it. Overall a GREAT experience and looking forward to an offer to work for this company. Had to answer below that I didn't get offer because i haven't.... Yet :)

Interview Questions

• I was asked to put 4 specific words in an order I thought was best. Wasn't a trick question :)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

The lady had a great bubbly personality, and was very informative. She made me feel comfortable during the interview, making it an enjoyable experience. Just stay confident and know your numbers!

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Wauwatosa, WI) in July 2016.

Interview

It took about two weeks to receive a email back from my application. She had emailed me to sent up my first interview which was a phone interview. She than "advanced" me into the second interview which was a local Starbucks including her and two fellow managers and district leaders. After that interview I received a email asking if I'd like to come in for my third in store interview! I went to a local ulta a sold for a hour, they let me know I would hear back from them ASAP. Two days after I got a call asking if I was Available for a fourth interview with a (avp) assistant Vice President who was flying in, which was at a local Starbucks. Very laid back and personable! Loved meeting each one of them. About a week later I got a email to join in on a conference call and they offered me the job! (:

Sales Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cherry Hill, NJ

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Urban Decay Cosmetics (Cherry Hill, NJ).

Interview

Spoke with AE about role, sent her my resume, got called in for an interview with 2 weeks. Interview went well and I was told we'd have a follow up with her boss scheduled early the following week. I was never contacted and reached out multiple times. Each time I was told it would be scheduled "soon". This lasted for a month until I stopped reaching out assuming that would never happen. After 2 months AE let me know the position was on hold and would not be filled at that time. Horribly unprofessional, misleading, disorganized and a waste of my time. Steer clear.