Valve Corporation Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2021

To filter interviews, or .
Found 40 of over 40 interviews

3.2
HardAverageEasy

Interviews for Top Jobs at Valve Corporation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA)

Interview

Setting up the interview was a mess, and I’m sure would have never happened had I not been friends with someone at Valve. After deciding to fly me out for an in-person interview, we agreed upon a date. 4 days prior to that date, no one had connected me to arrange my flight and hotel. Concerned, I reached out to my friend, who poked the interview organizers who then reached out to me the next day. Interview day was a full day of interviews where I spoke with 2 valve employees at a time. Questions were about designing a L4D co-op scoring system, a ski resort app, and the same standard questions others have mentioned. I did a full day of interviews, but apparently they can cut the interview short if it’s not going well after the lunch interview. Most of the people I met with were very engaged, but a few wore their disinterest on their sleeve and were almost openly hostile. Definitely a weird approach for an interview process that was, in their own words, meant to simulate what it’d be like to work with them. It often felt as though the interviewers had been decided upon just hours before - many knew nothing of my work of work history, which led to a lot of retreading of the same history and subsequent follow up questions. At the end of the day, I was offered a contract position, which I explained I could not take as I was not about to move to one of the most expensive areas in the country for a job without benefits or assurances of full-time work. They told me that many contractors ultimately become full-time employees, which only made their offer stranger to me; if that’s the case, why not hire people outright? After declining, they told me that having gone through the process, I would be welcome to contract with them at any point afterward, but I seriously doubt they would even remember who I was a week later. Afterward, no one responded to the emails I sent thanking them for taking the time and for the experience. Meanwhile, the card I had to put on file at the hotel was charged for the room, which required that I contact Valve’s interview coordinator so that they could clear up the charge with the hotel and pay for the room. Ultimately, the whole ordeal was terribly disorganized and going through a day of interviews only to be offered a contract position made the whole process feel like a big waste of time. As a lifelong fan of Valve’s games, it was a very disappointing experience.

Interview Questions
  • How would you design a scoring system for Left 4 Dead? How would you design an app for a Ski Resort?
    Answer Question
3 people found this interview helpful

Valve Corporation

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation in Jan 2021

Interview

Interview done through Telegram; was more of a job briefing, as they explained my application was shortlisted upon review (took about a month after I applied). Questions seemed useless, as if to ask if I understand the roles. I am treading lightly on this, although I am familiar with Valve's work.

Interview Questions
  • Do you have work equipment (computer, printer, fax, scanner, etc.)? Have you been interviewed online before? In a grade of 100%, how much can we depend on your loyalty and hard work?
1 person found this interview helpful

Valve Corporation

Application

I interviewed at Valve Corporation

Interview

it was on telegram. asked a lot of questions, i think its fake but idk thats why im posting this here. they said ive been hired, but i didnt give them any identification documents at all.

Interview Questions
  • name age skill and other simple things

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in Jun 2020

Interview

I submitted my resume through their website and was contacted by an engineer. They setup a phone screening. I met with that engineer and another, and we talked for an hour and a half.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Valve Corporation

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation

Interview

Not great. Position was not as mentioned on their website and the interviewers seemed very difficult to talk with. Not a great interview at all. Why does this need to be longer?

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Seattle, WA) in Aug 2019

Interview

I had a couple of phone interviews which involved writing code on a shared screen. I was then asked to come in for an on site interview. That takes all day and you are interviewed by 2 people at a time and you have to whitebaord code.

Interview Questions
  • Write the code for a calculator and they must use these functions.

Valve Corporation

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Valve Corporation in Jul 2019

Interview

Had a call with two interviewers for about an hour. Overall the questions they asked and the back and forth was quite expected for the role and what I would consider normal. However, the feedback I received after the interview was in line with them not liking one of my jobs I had previously as it was not player focused. Doing anything player focused in that specific role and not my job would have resulted in me being fired, but that's not acceptable for these two interviewers.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in Nov 2018

Interview

Nice people, a good experience overall, some tough questions but that's expected. Didn't get an offer but was a positive experience overall regardless. Onsite at their office in Bellevue with 4 panels. Programming, culture fit & design.

Interview Questions
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Seattle, WA) in Oct 2018

Interview

- Got contacted by senior management for the interview. - After 3 mails and messages to the interviewer finally managed to get her online. - Told me the job is for USA residents and got blocked. - Total Ethnic Discrimination, unprofessional and disrespectful behavior.

Interview Questions
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in Jan 2018

Interview

1 phone conversation about resume and past experience 1 lunch conversation about past experience and areas/features applicant would like to improve/contribute to any of Valve products (from both technical and business perspectives) Full-day of on-site interviews: 3 design/coding sessions 1 session about general topic outside of candidate comfort/experience zone 1 lunch conversation about general technical/business thinking, aptitude and customer focus

Interview Questions
  • - Implement itoa, i.e. convert integer to string - Design an elevator (how would you decide where the elevator should stop, go next ... etc.) - Design/implement a simple calculator (simple display, 1 key press at a time ~ state machine) - Compute the distance between 2 axis-aligned rectangles where the distance is defined such that it is: 1. Zero if both rectangles intersect. 2. The vertical/horizontal distance between the edges in case they're adjacent or on top of each other 3. The euclidean distance between the corners otherwise. - How would you devise a scoring function for players' performance in a game like Counter Strike?
4 people found this interview helpful