Valve Corporation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Valve Corporation Interview Questions

Interviews at Valve Corporation

3.3

Senior Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation.

Interview

Not great. Position was not as mentioned on their website and the interviewers seemed very difficult to talk with. Not a great interview at all. Why does this need to be longer?

Business Development Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation.

Interview

It was a tough decision to give this process a negative review. There were many positives and everyone treated me with respect. I am giving the process a negative review for two reasons. 1) As a type 1 diabetic having an important part of the process revolve around lunch is tough for me. I have to watch what I eat and take injections. It just adds a difficult distraction for me. Its fine if the lunch is an informal part of the process, but as I came to find out the lunch interview is seemingly the most important part of the interview process. I think I would have fared better in a normal meeting room. To be fair, the team asked me if I had any restrictions and I could have mentioned it, but I feel uncomfortable talking about my condition so I kept silent. That was probably a mistake on my part.

2) They tell you there right after lunch that they are not moving forward. I was not told that this was the case in advance. So my first reaction was shock; I wondered if I had done something wrong, which really bothered me. Later I found out it was part of the process. While I can see some upside to being upfront, its really painful being told in person like that. I mean here you are at your dream job and you are finding out its not going to happen. Its normal for people to be upset over that. My flight back was not until 6 hours later. It was a long wait and a long flight back. I would have preferred to find out the next day.

It really is a shame, and its going to hurt for a bit. They work on big and impactful projects there that help the gaming community. The team they have struck me as super bright and driven. And it saddens me that I won't get to contribute to that.

Interview Questions

• They asked me multiple questions about how I would approach expanding business or improving relations with developers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Valve Corporation in July 2019.

Interview

Had a call with two interviewers for about an hour. Overall the questions they asked and the back and forth was quite expected for the role and what I would consider normal.

However, the feedback I received after the interview was in line with them not liking one of my jobs I had previously as it was not player focused. Doing anything player focused in that specific role and not my job would have resulted in me being fired, but that's not acceptable for these two interviewers.

Interview Questions

• What others say on here, itoa.   Answer Question
    • How did you prioritize what to work on at company <X>?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in November 2018.

Interview

Nice people, a good experience overall, some tough questions but that's expected. Didn't get an offer but was a positive experience overall regardless. Onsite at their office in Bellevue with 4 panels. Programming, culture fit & design.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Seattle, WA) in October 2018.

Interview

- Got contacted by senior management for the interview.
    - After 3 mails and messages to the interviewer finally managed to get her online.
    - Told me the job is for USA residents and got blocked.
    - Total Ethnic Discrimination, unprofessional and disrespectful behavior.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in January 2018.

Interview

1 phone conversation about resume and past experience

1 lunch conversation about past experience and areas/features applicant would like to improve/contribute to any of Valve products (from both technical and business perspectives)

Full-day of on-site interviews:
    3 design/coding sessions
    1 session about general topic outside of candidate comfort/experience zone
    1 lunch conversation about general technical/business thinking, aptitude and customer focus

Interview Questions

• - Implement itoa, i.e. convert integer to string

- Design an elevator (how would you decide where the elevator should stop, go next ... etc.)

- Design/implement a simple calculator (simple display, 1 key press at a time ~ state machine)

- Compute the distance between 2 axis-aligned rectangles where the distance is defined such that it is:
      1. Zero if both rectangles intersect.
      2. The vertical/horizontal distance between the edges in case they're adjacent or on top of each other
      3. The euclidean distance between the corners otherwise.

- How would you devise a scoring function for players' performance in a game like Counter Strike?   Answer Question

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in July 2017.

Interview

Rough legacy whiteboarding process. Valve unfortunately is using whiteboard interviews. Something that fortunately most companies have abandoned.
    Whiteboarding, while great for fresh out of college comp sci students, is not something I learned to do as I have been in the industry for 20 years now. I worked through the problem, but overall had a really difficult time having a zero feedback loop environment and occasional scoffs from the interviewers. The entire process was extremely demoralizing and wasted their time and mine without getting to actually show any of my strengths. It's unfortunate that a candidate who's employers have included NASA, Sony, and other Fortune 500's isn't able to share my experience with them. But I think they are looking for a younger crowd.

If you want to pass this interview, brush up a lot on your whiteboarding, communication and coding.

Advice to Valve: Please try out take home assignments. You are severely limiting your talent pool otherwise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Seattle, WA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was scheduled for my phone screen at 3pm on a Friday afternoon. I took off work early to be home for this. At 3:19, they emailed me telling me that they were having a "bit of a delay". They asked if I could wait a bit longer.

I replied that I had taken off work early and had planned to return afterwards, but that I would wait a bit.

At 3:54pm, I replied again saying (copied and pasted) "Actually, now I'm thinking rescheduling might be best. This has been a long, taxing week at work, and I want to be the sharpest I can be for this."

At 3:57, they (there were two interviewers) called. They asked me to tell them about myself. I went through some highlights, but I'm normally used to something a little more concrete. It's not a question I hear often in technical interviews.

Then, they asked me a bunch of general knowledge questions. They asked what the difference between a regular index and a clustered index is in SQL Server. Nowhere have I claimed to be a SQL expert, by the way. I told them that I didn't know, but if I did need to know, I could look it up in ten seconds.

The only coding problem they asked was for me to code itoa. Obviously, this wasn't hard.

Two days later, I got an email that said "We found evidence for a wide a breadth of dev experience. We did not find evidence during the interview for the strong technical depth that we need at Valve."

The guys who interviewed me were pleasant and friendly. As I said in my email to them, I was exhausted after a long stressful week, so I'm sure that I didn't sound sharp on the phone.

Still, would they have been as pleasant and friendly if I were as disrespectful of their time and made myself available an hour late on a Friday afternoon, especially if they had to leave the office to take my call?

Valve has a great history of making great products. I have to believe that my experience is not typical.

Interview Questions

• Code itoa.   1 Answer
    • What is the difference between a clustered index and regular index in SQL Server?   1 Answer

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I was asked to give a phone interview a few weeks after submitting my resume. The person who interviewed me was very personable and professional, asking me a little bit about my background on my resume and giving me the opportunity to ask any questions I had about the company or the position I would be working in.

Afterwards, I was given a technical questions screening over three different technology sets: Networking, Linux System Administration and Windows System Administration.

Afterwards, I received an email a few days later telling me that I wasn't quite technically ready for the position, but I was told exactly what areas to improve on and was told that I could reapply in future when I feel like I had improved enough to try again.

Customer Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Valve Corporation (Bellevue, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone interview: It was all scenarios and thinking through problems with a specific game as an example - no real traditional interview questions.

In-person: They did 2 rounds with a panel of 3 people each, then I was taken to lunch with 2 people who asked more low-key questions over the course of lunch. Each round, I was given a few support problems to think through and answered questions on my thinking process.

After lunch, they left me alone for 10 minutes - and came back to tell me they were going to make mean offer, right there. They don't wait to tell you!

Interview Questions

• Design a scoring system for the next Left for Dead game.   Answer Question
    • The CEO has just told you, "Support is broken." How do you fix it?   Answer Question