Varsity Tutors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.6

1. Featured Interview

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

Phone interview (15 min), Skype interview (30 min), then an in-person interview (1 hour). Recruiters were friendly and helpful and very easy to work with. They also had a networking session at their HQ a couple of days before my interview. I went and got to see the offices and meet some current employees. Quite helpful.

Interview Questions

• Most of the questions were so straightforward that I don't even remember specifically what I was asked. But there was a role-play in which I played a sales associate and one of the recruiters/interviewers played a potential customer to whom I was to sell a tutoring package.   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The online interview process was pretty standard. I easily passed the screening and went to a second interview, but their platform didn't allow me to create a new tutor account after I had already created a "teacher" account to check out the tools.

Long story short, since it took me a few days to respond to their second interview email, they redacted the offer! I explained that it wasn't my primary email and if it was possible to transfer my tutor account, but they didn't even listen. They lost a top-rated tutor, but I didn't miss out. There are plenty of tutoring companies that pay more and treat their tutors better.

Interview Questions

• Explain the concepts of [Chemistry, Calculus] tona student who understands the fundamentals but not sure how to approach this problem.   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

Got an email to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. You set up your own phone interview time on a link they send you. The recruiter told me I would hear back from her in 2 days for an update. I got an email in 2 days informing me they've decided to go with other candidates. Let me preface this by saying I have an education/teaching background plus a sales and customer service background - not sure what more they can want in a candidate for this position. The recruiter asked me why I'm looking for another job. I told her the environment of my current job is a frat house, it's loud and boisterous, the boss allows alcohol, lots of inappropriate things are being said around me when I'm on the phone with a customer, and I'm looking for something more professional. She then countered that by saying their sales floor does get pretty loud, they are playful and have games to keep everyone's energy up, are a laid back start-up environment, etc. That is what botched my interview, she decided to pass a judgment on the most innocuous thing and I don't even think she understood what I meant. I don't mind noise at work, I don't mind playfulness and a laid back environment, what I do mind is feeling uncomfortable when inappropriate blurbs are often shouted around me and my customers overhear it on the phone, and having former frat boys under the influence of alcohol around me. I also emphasized that to her because she wasn't understanding what I meant. I had the right qualifications for this job. They are judging candidates on really stupid things from reading the other reviews on here. I am probably better off, I wouldn't want to work for an employer who doesn't know how to read people correctly.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

I've done 2 interviews with VT first time took a bit longer with phone screen, Hirevue & in-person. My second process was just a phone screen then in person interview. I was hoping I'll have it second time around in the same year. I'm not sure what they look for. I have 3 years of sales experience harder than any Tutor packages sales with leads being handed to you.

Interview Questions

• Interviewed by 3 Mangers:

Manager 1: How will you connect with customers over phone?

Scenario; If I'm out of training and I haven't made a sale in 3 weeks How will I go
                                about doing better?

What do you see as a big challenge working here from something you've done
                                 before?

Manager 2: Also, asked How will I connect with customers over the phone?

Do I read any sales materials?

Describe your daily activities at your recent employer?

Manager 3: Describe difference between Sales & Customer Service?

Explain a time where you failed at something & how you overcame that?

How Do You Handle Feedback?

Role Played; Me as a Sales Rep working for Varsity Tutors   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was an online process. There were 5 questions during the whole process. I had to given one written response regarding my standardized testing. The rest of the questions needed to be recorded responses. You will have 30 seconds to prepare and 3 minutes to give a response. The last question allows for you to choose one or more concept-based questions. You basically have 10 minutes to prepare a mini lecture and 10 minutes to record your response. The other questions were based on background, experience,etc.

Interview Questions

• How would your adjust your teaching style for various age groups?   Answer Question
    • Why do you think you are qualified for the position?   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, video conference interview with manager, skills test online & in person interview. The whole process felt inflated for an entry level position. The attitude they projected needs to be looked at.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2017.

Interview

Overall a seamless process.

1.I applied online & within 1 day I was contacted for a digital interview through HireVue. I was able to have a week to answer 4 questions whenever I wanted.
    2.Within 3 business days after doing the interview I was contacted to have a panel interview with 2 directors and a sales manager. Before the panel interview, I had to do a personality test.
    3. For the panel interview, it was over HireVue in real time. The panel interview was very personable and the people were very easy to talk to.
    4. I received an offer within 24 hours and am very pleased to start working there in August!

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between customer service & sales?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

One of the easiest interview processes I've ever undergone. Video interview, followed by a phone interview and subject assessments for subjects you want to tutor for. Interviewer was hilarious and really chill.

Interview Questions

• How would you teach the concept of DNA and nucleobases to a struggling student?   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Started with a very informative phone interview and then scheduled a skype interview a few days later. There was clearly no communication between the interviewers. It was like starting all over again. Frustrating! Also for whatever reason job details changed including difference between part time and full time. If anything I got interview experience but the whole process was a bit frustrating and unorganized. Told me they would get back to me within 48 hours and never heard a word back.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in June 2017.

Interview

Hirevue video followed by phone interview. I had a positive experience with both, but wasn't offered the job with no reason given.

I see a lot of posts online from tutors saying they are college students and that VT is their first teaching job. I'm a certified teacher with several years of test prep tutoring experience, and I have a lot of references from students who I have helped get into college. I'm personable, positive, and interview well. The interviewer seemed impressed by my answers to the hypothetical tutoring situations so I was surprised when they sent me an email saying they didn't want to hire me as a contractor. I'm not sure what they are looking for in a tutor. Maybe they prefer inexperienced tutors over professionals?

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in June 2017.

Interview

The first part of the interview process was online: answering a series of video questions and doing a short tutoring demonstration (I was able to pick a question from a long list and demonstrate how I would help a student with it). There were a series on online assessment quizzes for some of the topics I requested to tutor. Finally, there was a brief, friendly phone interview with a Varsity representative where they asked me some questions about my experience, gave me a chance to ask questions about the company, and at the end of the call they told me the pay rate and offered me the job.

Interview Questions

• What ages of students have you worked with in the past?   Answer Question