Varsity Tutors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Varsity Tutors

2.5

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Here were the following steps I underwent for the internship process:

1) Coding Challenge: Fairly easy compared to others I have taken
    2) Phone Interview: Mostly personality assessment
    3) Skype Interview: Engineering assessment to see what kind of projects I have done
    4) Video Interview: More engineering assessment and minor coding
    5) Video Interview: Bigger coding challenge

Overall, great people to talk to! Had a really nice conversation with each person and loved my experience throughout!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a project you worked on. Did the requirements change over time? How did you take that?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

Got an email to set up a phone interview with the recruiter. You set up your own phone interview time on a link they send you. The recruiter told me I would hear back from her in 2 days for an update. I got an email in 2 days informing me they've decided to go with other candidates. Let me preface this by saying I have an education/teaching background plus a sales and customer service background - not sure what more they can want in a candidate for this position. The recruiter asked me why I'm looking for another job. I told her the environment of my current job is a frat house, it's loud and boisterous, the boss allows alcohol, lots of inappropriate things are being said around me when I'm on the phone with a customer, and I'm looking for something more professional. She then countered that by saying their sales floor does get pretty loud, they are playful and have games to keep everyone's energy up, are a laid back start-up environment, etc. That is what botched my interview, she decided to pass a judgment on the most innocuous thing and I don't even think she understood what I meant. I don't mind noise at work, I don't mind playfulness and a laid back environment, what I do mind is feeling uncomfortable when inappropriate blurbs are often shouted around me and my customers overhear it on the phone, and having former frat boys under the influence of alcohol around me. I also emphasized that to her because she wasn't understanding what I meant. I had the right qualifications for this job. They are judging candidates on really stupid things from reading the other reviews on here. I am probably better off, I wouldn't want to work for an employer who doesn't know how to read people correctly.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in August 2017.

Interview

I've done 2 interviews with VT first time took a bit longer with phone screen, Hirevue & in-person. My second process was just a phone screen then in person interview. I was hoping I'll have it second time around in the same year. I'm not sure what they look for. I have 3 years of sales experience harder than any Tutor packages sales with leads being handed to you.

Interview Questions

• Interviewed by 3 Mangers:

Manager 1: How will you connect with customers over phone?

Scenario; If I'm out of training and I haven't made a sale in 3 weeks How will I go
                                about doing better?

What do you see as a big challenge working here from something you've done
                                 before?

Manager 2: Also, asked How will I connect with customers over the phone?

Do I read any sales materials?

Describe your daily activities at your recent employer?

Manager 3: Describe difference between Sales & Customer Service?

Explain a time where you failed at something & how you overcame that?

How Do You Handle Feedback?

Role Played; Me as a Sales Rep working for Varsity Tutors   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Saint Louis, MO) in May 2017.

Interview

The best way to describe the interview process is unprofessional and inconsistent to say the least.

First they have a recruiter from a separate company contact you for a brief phone interview. Next I was contacted by a Varsity Tutors recruiter and scheduled a 30 minute Skype interview with a sales manager. A week after the Skype interview I received a call from the same Varsity Tutors recruiter to schedule an in-person interview with both sales managers. Everything up to this point was fine. I was then sent a pre-interview email that had inconsistencies regarding the recruiters I had spoken with as well as typographical errors. This is normally not a big deal to me but it was only the tip of the iceberg. In the email I was told I would be meeting with BOTH sales managers, that they would greet me in the lobby of the building, and that I would be asked to role play as a Varsity Tutors sales representative. In order to prepare, the email asked that I call the office and pose as a prospective client to learn more about their services and sales technique, and that we would discuss the conversation in the interview. Every thing I was told would happen in the pre-interview call and email, the opposite took place. I arrived at their building and was not greeted in the lobby as they stated. I saw my own way up to their floor and waited in a conference room. I was given the opportunity to meet with only one of their sales managers. I was given no explanation why the other sales manager was absent. The manager I did meet with cursed multiple times throughout our conversation, which is not only strange and unprofessional during an interview, but also makes the company look bad. We never discussed my conversation where I posed as a prospective client, nor did I role play as a Varsity Tutors sales rep. Instead, I role played as a sales rep selling a product completely irrelevant to the job I was applying for. So not only did they waste my time having me call and pretend to want to pay for their service, they wasted their own employees time. He cut the interview short, and told me he was not going to hire me because they were looking for "someone who has something to lose." He continued on saying "We want to hire someone who has a mortgage or kids, and is in a situation where failure is not an option." This was in direct response to me telling him I was a recent graduate with no kids, still living with my parents, and that I am currently employed. He had legitimate constructive criticism of my role play performance, but the deal breaker was that I was currently comfortable and not on the verge of homelessness. He then shook my hand and said to work on my shortcomings and re apply in the future. I guess Varsity Tutors thinks you need to have a few kids and accrue massive amounts of debt before you are qualified to sell tutoring services.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2017.

Interview

Overall a seamless process.

1.I applied online & within 1 day I was contacted for a digital interview through HireVue. I was able to have a week to answer 4 questions whenever I wanted.
    2.Within 3 business days after doing the interview I was contacted to have a panel interview with 2 directors and a sales manager. Before the panel interview, I had to do a personality test.
    3. For the panel interview, it was over HireVue in real time. The panel interview was very personable and the people were very easy to talk to.
    4. I received an offer within 24 hours and am very pleased to start working there in August!

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between customer service & sales?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Chicago, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

Used Hirevue which allowed to do interview from home computer. Very cool resource and allowed to see interviewer and have a face to face interview. It was a pretty easy interview process with normal questions, employment history and background. Had to do a mock sales pitch they have you call in first as a customer and then ask you to play the roll of the sales person.

Anonymous Employee in Clayton, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Clayton, MO) in May 2016.

Interview

I was called on a Thursday for an interview to be held the following week, Tue - Fri. I was working full-time and could not request time off on such short notice however, I already had Monday off. The company accommodated my schedule right down to the preferred time.

Interview Questions

• Was I comfortable using a MAC?   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process was well structured but lacked a human connection and interaction.
    I was recommended by an employee that being attractive is far more important than
    having a masters degree and 10 years of experience working in higher education.
    This is partially due to web screening of applicants. After doing additional research I
    have learned that this is a great position for someone looking for a job and not a career.
    Overall, the follow up was terrible; they called me by another name during the phone interview.
    I'm glad I saw all the red flags and immediately turned down the position.

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Seattle, WA).

Interview

First there was a recruiter phone screen to see how I met the items in the job description. Then I met with a would-be peer and discussed the ins and outs of past experiences and the current position. It sounded like an opportunity worth finding out more about. She seemed very positive and pleasant.

I then I had another interview after about a week. This interviewer was 10 minutes late and hadn't looked at my resume so she asked me to go over my work history for her. She asked me where I went to school, which I thought was a little strange since especially in this profession, but didn't discuss my answer. When I said I had a former degree in science, she said that was weird but didn't ask me about it. She didn't ask follow up questions to any of my answers. She asked for me to explain what I did on a project, which was a little vague so I asked how in-depth or what she was most interested in because client work varies in approach so much, but she said to just talk. I had expected a two-way conversation to really understand each others thinking, but I could tell she didn't want to be there and didn't care to ask me to elaborate on any particular subject. She was looking out the window while I answered her questions. She tried to tell me I didn't have experience in this or that before I had ever described the projects where I actually did perform those things. She tried to convince me I wasn't as good as the other amazing designer, which made me not want to work with a company who treats people like this, even if she had no plans on moving forward. At the end of our time she said she had to leave so she quickly stood up and left without confirming anything about what we were there for in the first place.

Overall, it was very unpleasant. I tried to be very open and polite but it was the most shallow discussion I've ever had with a UX professional, especially in a profession where you engage in conversation to uncover the meaning and ideas other people have in their experiences. If she had read my resume she would have known to not waste her time, because she gave off the impression that I wasn't worth being polite to. Definitely a disconnect. Or maybe she had a bad day.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you went about a project.   1 Answer
    • What was the problem you were trying to solve?   1 Answer

Senior User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

It was frankly a joke, never in all of my career have I had an interview start out with "this will be a casual conversation". Then the only feedback you receive is "We are waiting for budgets....blah blah blah."

Math Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The initial interview was over the phone. There was another nervier through a Skype-like call feature, where I spoke with someone face to face. They asked me specific math questions, and emailed them to me as well. There was a lot of paperwork, and then a welcome call.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions involving algebra, was wrong. I think I stumped the interviewer, because the question was not worded properly. It was a ridiculous question. Don't be afraid to stand by your answer, even if you think it doesn't make sense.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I took what I was given.