Varsity Tutors Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Varsity Tutors Interview Questions

Interviews at Varsity Tutors

2.5

Online Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

Video recording: questions provided, had time limit to answer each one, had 2 attempts to record each question. It felt comfortable, and I appreciated the multiple attempts. The questions were relevant and fair, and if you prepare a bit ahead of time, you'll be fine.

Interview Questions

• They asked you to pick your top choice subject, review scenario(s) for students and potential topics within that subject, and explain how you would approach it   Answer Question

Math Tutor Interview

Interview

There were tests requiring that you demonstrate both your ability to tutor in a particular subject as well as a general description of the strategies you use to foster learning with students. This required a video submission of an example of teaching strategies.

Test Prep Tutor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (New York, NY) in September 2020.

Interview

Online app (no resume/cover letter) followed by a short video interview via HireVue. Really don't like this format for teaching as there is so much you can demonstrate by talking to an actual or fake student.

Was offered the job and would have taken it, but it only pays $15 per hour as a contractor (so, estimate half will go to taxes). I was offered $18 per hour as brand new test prep teacher in 2010. And that's with an established curriculum and as a payroll employee. This pay is ludicrously low for the skills they're asking for

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The interview process has two parts. First, you fill out an online application on their website that asks you for your contact information, education history, and previous test scores. Second, you complete an online interview in which you answer 4-5 pre-recorded questions. You have two tries to answer each question (your response gets recorded and submitted to the company). Once you move on to the next question, you cannot go back.

Interview Questions

• What were you previous test scores?
      Tell us about yourself.
      Previous tutoring experience.
      What age groups would you be able to tutor and why?
      Give examples on how you would tutor a certain subject/age group (based on which subjects you agreed to tutor).   1 Answer

Tutor Interview

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy--it all took place through HireVue. I just answered four (8 min) questions via video. The questions were straightforward (give resume overview, work through a sample problem, etc) received an offer the next morning.

Interview Questions

• Describe your resume and any relevant teaching experience.   Answer Question

Academic Tutor Interview

Interview

Great job with a good environment safe and friendly work well with decent hours seems like a fun job to have these days I am only writing this so I can see a job sheet that is blocked by this pop up

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The interview process consisted of online questions and video recordings. They communicate via email and over the phone. Over the phone, company seems very nice and is quick to help.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The whole interview process was a joke. Everyone gets a job here. As long as you are breathing you are a tutor.

You could tell them you were a rocket scientist from MIT and they’d believe you without checking.

The worst part about working here is you’ll get hired and then you won’t get any students. Maybe one per year if you are lucky.

Problem is all the reviews for Varsity on every site are fake. It gives a false impression that the company is good to work for when in actuality it's horrible.

Online Language Arts Tutor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors (Atlanta, GA) in July 2020.

Interview

It was a virtual, recorded interview. There were 5 questions presented, you were given a whopping 30 seconds to prepare your answer, then you videotaped your response. You are given two attempts, so in some cases I used the time during the playback of my first response to better prepare for my second response.

Interview Questions

• 1. Give a brief rundown of your experience in teaching/tutoring including subjects taught and years at each position.
      2. What qualifies you to tutor this subject? What academic prep, did you have, what classes did you teach, etc.
      3. Have you tutored students to prepare them for standardized tests? What standardized tests have you taken them yourself? What were your scores and can you verify them?
      4. What age or grade level do you think your personality is most suited to? What age or grade are you most qualified to to teach? How would you modify content for teaching to various grade levels?
      5. Lesson example: Choose a topic/question from a list to explain how you guide a student to solidify their understanding? How would you check for background knowledge? How would you clarify confusing points? How would you check for mastery? What outside resources would you use? (Most questions gave you 30 seconds to prepare; I believe this one allowed 10 minutes to prepare.) The question I chose asked what I would do if a student brought me a 5-paragraph, 2-page essay the day before it was due and asked me to edit it for them. Be specific about what you would look for and in what order you would present the info. What would the student be doing? What would you be doing?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Varsity Tutors.

Interview

The process is pretty simple; however it can take much longer than advertised. They gave me an offer just 45 minutes after my interview ended, which makes me think they focus more on my scores, what college I attend, etc. rather than the interview itself.