Veson Nautical Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Veson Nautical Interview Questions

2.9

Software Development Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

I had a very pleasant experience at the career fair. They treated me with respect, listened well, and recognized my Eagle Scout rank.

A few days after the career fair I received an email from Human Resources asking to schedule a technical phone interview.

I then met with a software developer manager over the phone and answered some object-oriented concept questions, data structure questions, and also talked about my experience and my projects. I also connected to the website sync.in, a collaborative notepad tool, where I was asked to code a function to shift letters over in a string, in a language of my choice.

A few days after this first phone interview I received the good news that I had passed it and proceeded to a second phone interview. It was much like the first, and involved some design questions and two programming questions. Both were in C++, one being to reverse a string and the other being to find the second largest integer in an array of integers.

Having done pretty well in both phone screens, I was asked to come in for an in-person interview. Veson paid for a round trip flight to Boston, and a hotel stay at the Boston Park Plaza Hotel, a very nice place.

The day of the in person interview, I went to the headquarters at 500 Boylston Street. It was in a beautiful, large building with ornate fountains and marble columns out front. The Veson offices on the fourth floor were very modern, well-stocked and a great environment to work in.

That day, I interviewed with four people. The first was a member of the Quality Assurance department. I aced that interview, which involved talking through my resume, how I would test certain functions and going through some of my projects.

I then met with a Human Resources Representative to talk through some behavior-based and typical HR questions.

Next came the first of two technical interviews. I was asked to talk about some of my projects, then code a solution, in C++, to a problem involving the removal of spaces from a character array. Having done so, I proceeded to solve a brain teaser involving two robots and a flag on an infinite line of integers. I felt that this interview went pretty well.

The final interview, and also what I believe prevented me from getting an offer, was technical in nature and we started into the problem immediately. I was asked to write an integer-to-string function, and in hindsight it was not very difficult and should not have taken me so long, but for one reason or another I stumbled here and took a while to solve it. While I did eventually get it, it was only after quite a bit of hints and it took way too long.

I was sent home and told I would hear back in the coming days. I heard back a few days later and it was unfortunately a no. I regret my poor performance in that one interview and feel that it was within my grasp, but what's done is done. Hopefully you will have better luck than me! Good luck.

Interview Questions

• Write an integer-to-string function in C++.   1 Answer
    • Given two robots on an infinite line of integers, with a flag guaranteed to be between them, write a behavior for both robots to follow which will guarantee them to eventually meet. The robots can only "see" the position they are standing on, and can't remember anything. Also note that they can't tell if they are the leftmost or rightmost robot. They can tell if they are on the flag or the other robot. They may move right, move left, or wait.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Veson Nautical.

Interview

I send a cover letter with my resume to the listed email address on veson nautical's career web page. Three days later, I received their reply and was invited to take a phone interview.
    I was asked to describe my current position and to answer some basic questions about OOP. I was also asked to solve some simple string manipulations problems via an online collaboration text editor.

Interview Questions

• They asked questions about inheritances, which I wasn't quite prepared for   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Veson Nautical in November 2014.

Interview

Heard about the company at a college career fair. Emailed HR my resume and cover letter and heard back the next business day. Set up a phone meeting with the QA Manager to take place the same week.
    This phone meeting ended up being a relatively informal interview. I was asked questions about my academic background and interests and was asked to walk through a very basic testing scenario.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite text editor? How would you test it?   Answer Question

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied through online. Few days later got an email from HR scheduling for a phone screen interview with the QA manager. The QA manager was very down to earth making me comfortable and was very patiently listening to my background and asked few scenario based testing related questions. The QA manager had also explained me the company's work process to give me a better understanding as I never had a nautical work experience prior to this. Then within two or three days got another email from recruiter calling for a face to face interview. The office is set at a very beautiful location. First round was taken by a Senior Software Test Engineer, who was very friendly and asked questions to learn more about my thought process which were more of scenario based testing questions and then then had showed me one of their product and told me to write a test plan based on certain features on it. The second round was again taken by the QA manager who gave me two scenarios and to write down all the test cases(positive/negative) related to it, missed few test cases here. The third round was by the Chief of Staff of Engineering who was again very friendly and asked system analysis, analytical based questions and few personality check questions which were very interesting as well. The final round was with HR and questions were mostly to see if you're a fit to this company. Few days later got an email stating that they found another candidate more fitting to this position. Overall, this was one of the best interview experiences I have had so far be it, HR's fast responses, very friendly interviewers, the office and its location as such was wonderful. This company really knows to treat its employees better and it would be anyone's best choice to switch here if given an opportunity as the scope of learning, growth is very good as well.

Interview Questions

• How do you test the saving feature of a text editor? (1st phone screen)
      Given their own distance search engine, what are all the test cases you would write to test the accuracy of the route and working of engine? (1st phone screen)
      Different test cases to test a cheese burger with given set of ingredients and one constraint? (1st onsite interview)
      various ways to test a system which generates a random number from 1 to 6?(1st on site)
      Was given their distance search engine, given 5 minutes to play around it, clear all the doubts about it and then write a complete test plan with test cases under it(1st on site)
      Think yourself to be the ATM machine and explain all the operations that you would want to check and then write all the test cases for the withdrawal option transaction?(2nd onsite)
      Was shared a screen which was a form with options New, open, Save, Import/Export and under that few fields, question was how to test the import option in it ? (2nd onsite)
      Explain a technical concept in 5 minutes?(3rd onsite)
      With abstract requirements, is it possible to test the system?
      Would you cross the line to test a function which is not required to find a defect?   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in January 2009.

Interview

Got phone interview for half hour.
    Asked some data structure questions.

Technical Solutions Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA).

Interview

I applied for this position online and shortly afterwards, I received an e-mail and an invitation for a phone screening interview. The phone interview went great. I spoke with an HR representative. They seemed interested in me as much as I was interested in their company. They even made note of my bilingual talent and nautical experience and mentioned how it would have complimented my technical talent in such a position. This company has an international client base. I really felt confident that I would be moving onto the next step in the process; however, it turned out I received a short rejection letter the following week. I have absolutely no idea what may have disqualified me for the position. Judging by the other interviews, this is definitely a very difficult company to get into.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in April 2015.

Interview

Thoroughly enjoyable - their HR department was very generous and placed me in a very nice hotel ($300/night) just off Boylston Street, a stone's throw from their office. Also paid for my travel. Their engineers who interviewed me were also very nice and joked around with me when I joked with them.

Interview Questions

• (~ 10 minutes)

a.) Given an array of integers (unsorted, not all positive), write a method to find the largest positive integer not in the array. (If the input is [1, 2], return 3. If the input is [1,3], return 2. If the input is [-1,-1,0,2,2,2], return 1).

b.) What is the runtime of this method and what is the theoretical fastest speed?   Answer Question

Software Developer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in March 2010.

Interview

Applied online for a software intern position. The first round was telephonic ,was asked about my academic projects ,basic question in C++ ,data structures and a brain teaser.

Interview Questions

• describe different data structures and its complexities .   Answer Question
    • difference between abstract class and interface   1 Answer

Software Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Veson Nautical (Boston, MA) in August 2010.

Interview

Was asked to connect the laptop so he could see what i was typing. Was asked to make programs in c++ which basically dealt with strings and chars such as finding the number of spaces. Asked some questions about complexity.

Product Designer Interview

Interview

I applied through my college's career services for the Product Designer position. The next day I received an email to set up a phone interview with HR. The HR representative was very helpful and informative about the position. I thought the interview went well, but about two weeks after my phone interview, I was notified that they moved on with someone else.

Interview Questions

• Why Veson (as I do not know anything about the nautical industry)   Answer Question