Vicarious Visions Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Vicarious Visions Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2018

2.9

1. Featured Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions in April 2017.

Interview

I applied at a university event, where I discussed my interests and experience with other engineers. A few weeks later I scheduled a phone interview, where they asked me a few questions. I receivedand accepted my offer a few days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• In C++, what do the keywords static, volatile, and extern mean?   1 Answer

Gameplay Programmer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions.

Interview

Took the programmer test, then had a phone interview with two programmers. The test was testing basic knowledge of programming and logic. The phone interview only lasted about 40 mins.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Menands, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions (Menands, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

- Extremely comfortable process
    - Great technical questions
    - Excellent logic questions
    - Relaxed atmosphere during the on-site interview
    - Positive and enthusiastic interviewers
    - All around it was a very pleasant interview process

Interview Questions

• In past production experience, explain a difficult situation and how you overcame it?   Answer Question

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions (Albany, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

Easy interview process. Asked some brain teasers to see where my thought process was while I walked them through the steps to solving on a whiteboard. Then they had me sit down and play a game and track the number of bugs that I found.

Interview Questions

• Name 4 days that start with the letter T.   1 Answer

Associate Game Programmer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, VT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions (Burlington, VT) in May 2016.

Interview

I was sent a coding test which I completed and returned to them. They reviewed the coding test to decide whether to interview me.

A skype interview was then set up where I talked with 2 of the programmers at Vicarious Visions. They asked me several questions and we went over my answers on the programming test.

Interview Questions

• We went over my answers to the coding test, discussing how I arrived at my answers. They then gave me a few coding problems and watched as I solved them.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albany, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions (Albany, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I had quite an extensive interview process, which was:
    - 0.5 hour briefing about the studio and values
      Here, a leader spoke about the values that drive the company, and gave me an overarching overview of the culture and goals.

- 1 hour with a tech designer and SE
      Here, I was asked about the work on my resume. The majority of the questions was from the designer, who asked put me in situations and asked me what I would do in them. For example, if she wanted to design a combat system, what kind of questions would I ask her? If I had to improve the existing scripting system, what would I do? If she was not getting the script to work in the way she wanted, how would I help her? The SE asked me a few technical questions based off of the resume.

- 1.5 hour lunch interview with Senior SE, SE and QA Lead
      Here, they were just getting a feel for who I was as a person and my interests etc. They asked me what I liked to play, if I was interviewing with other companies etc.

- 1 hour with Engineering Specialist and SE
      This was a little more architecture oriented. They once again dug deep into my resume and asked me about my prior work. They were more interested in how I architected these systems. They asked me how I would build those systems today. They asked me how I've grown as a person since the last year. They also asked me if I like to mentor and asked me what I did in that area. Then they asked me some simple C++ questions like what is a virtual function? VFT? Pointer vs reference? They asked me only one coding problem, and that was to reverse a linked list.

- 1 hour with 2 Senior Engineers
      This was probably the most intense, because these two engineers seemed to have the most experience out of everyone who interviewed me. Again they went over my resume with a microscope. They also mentioned that they were impressed with my website and video creation on youtube. They said they don't see many people who actually cared about it, and commended me on it. They were interested in mid-to low level stuff and asked me about some of the work I did at a prior AAA studio. Then they gave me some printed code and asked me what I would do to optimize it. This assignment was very similar to the optimization problem that was provided in the coding test. The problem was that most of the code in it didn't actually make sense. Syntactically it was correct, but functionally it wasn't really doing much. The optimizations were easy for me to point out after so much training with C++, but I imagine it would be quite hard for someone, say, fresh out of undergrad.

Overall it was quite an exhausting process, but in no way stressful. I enjoyed myself, and it looks like they did too. What I learnt from this interview is:
    - If your resume gets selected, they will go through your resume in extreme detail. Make sure you don't lie or put something on there that you can't go into a lot of detail about.
    - It doesn't look like they focus a lot on 3D Math or coding in the on-site interview (maybe they do it for associate level and not for mid-level? Not sure)
    - They always asked me questions based off my resume. They tried to get an understanding of my strengths, and didn't try to trap me at any point with something I didn't know.
    - Very polite and respectful! Very awesome people at VV. And they created a very comfortable environment too, for me to interview in.
    - Almost all of them looked at my resume, my website, my youtube, and everything I linked to in my resume. So they really do visit those websites, and if you do a good job with them, they'll be impressed, because that shows you are a person who cares about everything they do.

Production Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions in May 2018.

Interview

I applied and heard back within a week to setup an interview within the following week. Communication up to that point was pleasant and the phone interview itself was nice and welcoming.

However, I have to give a neutral overall experience because, while the interview itself was positive, I never heard back again, even after sending a follow-up email to the recruiter. I found this rather disappointing as every other place I've ever interviewed with at least responded, even if they decided not to move forward with you.

Interview Questions

• Typical production questions (time you made a mistake, how'd you prepare for a certain situation, etc.)   Answer Question

Vicarious Visions Response

Jun 20, 2018 – Sr. Manager, Talent Attraction

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to respond to all candidates in a timely manner, but it looks like we missed the mark with you. At times, due to the high volume of applications we receive... More

Game Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Vicarious Visions in December 2010.

Interview

Lots of one on one or two on one interviews, a tour around the facilities, and lunch.