Viking Cruises Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 3, 2017

2.3

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

Interview

I had a phone interview first, then went and met 2 more employees from the accounting department in their Woodland Hills office. Phone interview was very good. The person I talked to sounded like she wanted to hire me right on the spot! The office interview was not very good. I don't know the job titles of the people I talked to. They both asked a lot of questions and seemed nice enough, although one of them seemed just a bit arrogant. He said "You'd be working with me if we decide to hire you." I never heard back from them though. Come to find out, this company has a reputation for a very high rate of turnover. It was probably for the best that I didn't get hired because I would definitely not have stayed if it was bad. And, in looking at the reviews on here, it seems that they are a very profitable company but that they micromanage a lot, and the employees are largely very dissatisfied. Which is too bad, because they seem like a huge cut above the traditional cruise lines! It all depends on the management...and bad managers usually are only looking out for their own interests and don't value their employees.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a problem that just seemed to have no real solution and no matter how hard you worked on it, you couldn't seem to resolve it?   1 Answer
    • How would you record the purchase of office supplies?   1 Answer
    • Suppose we paid X dollars for a front-page ad in a magazine that was supposed to run for all 12 months of the year. How would you account for that?   1 Answer

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (Boston, MA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied for an Office Coordinator Position (I have 6+ years experience in this field and have worked in customer service for over ten years in Boston) and was suggested a Travel Service Position instead? Why would I want to work in a call center when I've worked for luxury hotels, and executive offices?! This was very insulting and super awkward as my resume and cover letter CLEARLY stated what I was looking for, and my experience. Pretty sure my e-mail and my cover letter weren't even read.

From this I can tell the operations of this company are not the best, and I would never want to work for them anyway. Stay away.

Travel Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied and was contacted within one day via email requesting a telephone interview. It was more of an explanation of what the role involved and a quick couple of questions about my work experience. The interviewer answered all of my questions even those involving commission structure. He was very upfront and informative about expectations.

Interview Questions

• Not really questions, more informative - more like if I understood the work schedule and training expections.   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (Woodland Hills, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by a hiring manager in Woodland Hills office. We went to conference room way in the back of what looked like it was at one time a sales/telemarketing floor. There were about 200 cubicles but only about 5 employees! The interviewer was less than cordial. She did not smile once during the interview, and seemed to have no sense of humor or levity. She asked about my experience and never took her eyes off me while I answered her many questions. I think she thought I was lying or was just waiting for me to fold, or waiting for me to give some answer that would cause me to be eliminated as a potential candidate. She was, however, nice enough to give me a copy of the job duties - it looked like a great position that I could've done well in but the pay was low at $17 per hour (with potential for $18 if permanently hired...still too low.) She also mentioned that her staff had been doing lots of overtime recently because they were so behind. We talked for about 35 minutes, although it all just felt awkward. After she'd finished asking me her questions, she then stood up, extended her hand, said an unenthusiastic "Thank You", handed me a validated parking pass, and I walked out. I knew I'd lost it. And not surprisingly, they never called me back. No great loss though. I don't think she and I would have gotten along well.

Interview Questions

• Please give the normal debit/credit balances for the following items: 1. Prepaid Airline Travel ; 2. Funds due to cruise ship ; 3. Outstanding customer receivables.   1 Answer
    • Have you ever done journal entries in your previous jobs?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever done bank reconciliations or anything where you handled money or a cash register or something of that nature?   1 Answer
    • How are your phone skills? Can you deal with people who are just plain having a bad day and you have to talk to them on the phone? We'd be having you talk with our current cruise customers frequently. Most of them are older and some are downright cranky.   1 Answer

Customer Retention Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Viking Cruises.

Interview

It wasn't really an interview. If you're qualified on paper, you'll probably be offered the job. It was more of the interviewer describing the job and environment. It makes sense because you're essentially the complaint department. If you cannot handle upset customers, then don't apply for the job. If you cannot handle working various shifts, don't apply for the job.

Customer Retention Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodland Hills, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (Woodland Hills, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Quick interview with no second interview. Mainly going over aspects of the job and your own qualifications. Not too many questions asked. Manager seems a little weird but over all good experience. Position is salary starting at $41,600

Customer Service Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

Interview was very basic, they asked me about previous employment experiences and asked how they would apply to this job. I then spoke with the Director who was pleasant and she asked about my strengths and weaknesses. After about 20 minute talk I was offered the position. The experience was relaxed and comfortable.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would handle a difficult caller.   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiations as the starting pay was set for new hires.

Travel Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

submit resume, 1 phone interview. they email you tests. you take tests. come in for interview. they let you know after the interview if you got the job. I did

Travel Agent Sales Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Woodland, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Viking Cruises (Woodland, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

A Viking manager called me on a Thursday around 2:00pm and asked me if I could come into the office for an interview. It would be with him & his boss that would be at Woodland Hills CA. They wanted to see me at 11:00 am the next day, Friday. I was over one hour late to my interview the manager was happy to see me and his Boss was a joke. I could not believe that he was the Sr manager. They offered me the position within 15 minutes after I arrived at HQ in Woodland Hills over ONE HOUR late. This already told me all I needed to know about this SR Manger/Dir. Who and Why would anyone hire a new prospective employee on the spot if they are over one hour late for the first meeting??? Who? I would have understood if I was told sorry this meeting is over. Most managers have worked at this company for years and they promote from within the ranks. They are not the brightest bulbs and are a few bricks short of a full load. Some of them are very nice folks but when it comes to management, watch out and good luck. This company has been the easiest Interview process in my life. Look into your Sr managers eye when he asks you why you want to leave your current job. My SR manager could not even make and keep current eye contact.

Interview Questions

• Why you want to work here? Why do you what to leave your current job?   1 Answer

Interview

Interviews with three people, the director, manager and HR rep. They ask about call center experience, sales strategies and approaches to customer service. It's fairly straight forward. There are no tests or screenings except for felonies.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your last job.   1 Answer