Vulcan Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Vulcan

2.9

Contract Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in April 2019.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted for an initial phone screen. The recruiter was very accommodating with my schedule and was able to work out a time that worked for both of us. The initial phone screen gave me a very good idea of the company and about the role. After the phone screen I was invited to an in person interview. Again, they were very accommodating and helpful when I arrived on site. The interview process involved about 30 minute interviews with 1-2 people in each group from the team that I would be supporting. Again, this was a great way to learn more about the company and the people that I would be working with on the team. I feel as though I got a great representation of the company and the type of work that I would be doing. After the in person interview, the follow up was very quick and there was lots of communication throughout the process. I accepted the job and had to complete a background check. The communication while waiting for the results was also excellent. Overall, I had a great experience during the application process and feel as though I was well informed throughout the entire experience.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral based questions such as, "Tell me about a time when..", "What is your experience with.."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in May 2009.

Interview

I was recruited to the position by an old friend who I had worked with before. He pushed my name through the interview process, but I still had to jump through a lot of hoops with HR who were adamant on maintaining their control over hiring. Job required a thorough background check, which was no problem for me.

Interview Questions

• I was interviewed by an eventual co-worker who asked me many very specific questions about how I would approach a given problem. He later told me that any time he was stuck on a problem, he would quiz the potential employees he interviewed about it until he heard an idea that intrigued him.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Simple - they offered me more than I was asking, and I took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in February 2011.

Interview

Gruling at best.,

Interview Questions

• Name a past project you worked on where critical thinking came in to play.   Answer Question
    • Give me three words your past boss would use to describe you.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in May 2017.

Interview

Initial Phone screen was a recruiter who didn't seem to know very much about technology or software. She seemed very interested in promoting Paul Allen rather than talking about the position itself.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Vulcan.

Interview

Had to interview with 14 people. I have interviewed other places with a lot of interviewers but this was a record. Then they wanted me to come back and meet with more people. I was concerned that if it took that much "consensus" to hire a person, what would it be like getting any work done? I decided it wasn't the right fit for me.

Interview Questions

• The usual questions - open ended, "tell me about a time" - lots of questions around flexibility, change management, working with a tight knit team   Answer Question

Senior Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in March 2019.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. During my process there were some changes in recruiting so the person with whom I had my initial phone screen was not the person who completed the process. However, nothing was missed and the process was very quick so the transition was transparent to me.

One of the interviewing engineers was unexpectedly not available for my in-person interview so we used video for an interview. I appreciated the flexibility to do a remote interview instead of rescheduling my in-person interview.

Once onsite I interviewed with HR; hiring manager and dev manager; engineer; and product manager. The entire onsite interview took about 2.5 hours.

The entire application and interview process took about 2 weeks, but the hiring manager was very motivated and helped me navigate the system. Normally I would expect 4 weeks or so.

Interview Questions

• Behaviorally based questions like "Tell me about a time when..."   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I had a much easier experience than most people since I had an in with the hiring manager. Submitted my resume. About a week later, HR called to schedule the interview. During the interview, I first met with an HR person who asked basic employment eligibility questions and salary requirements. Then I met with one team member, followed by the hiring manager. Took about 1.5 hours overall.

Negotiation

I accepted their offer w/o changes.

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

Went through a phone screen first. Very basic questions about my background. Was invited back for an in person interview a few days later, which was scheduled about a week out. This lasted about 3 hours with three rounds of interviews. The questions were all behaviorally based which made it easier to reference specific experiences in my answers.

Two weeks later I came in for another round of interviews with different leaders. This also lasted about three hours and included two or three rounds.

The recruiter did a fantastic job of making sure I knew what the timeline looked like as did the hiring manager. Overall a good experience and they seemed to move through the process very quickly.

Interview Questions

• Behaviorally based questions "Tell me about a time when..." or "Do you have any experience with..."   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Vulcan (Seattle, WA) in April 2016.

Interview

very open, inviting but deceiving. Thought we'd be doing bigger things than what we're actually doing. Had hoped we'd be tackling some the world's hardest issues only to learn we were mired in process and politics.

Interview Questions

• How would you change the world   1 Answer

Interview

Very sexist interview process. Could tell that the company was a very difficult place to work that was hostile to professional women. Not a place for the feint of heart. Very unprofessional. Definetly not a company that will attrack A-talent. Clearly this is a nightmare job that has had huge turnover. Do not accept if you are not a masochist.