Western & Southern Life Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 29, 2017

2.3

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Miami, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

The interviewer is super friendly, they have a complete and structured information process to let you know about how the job works, they know how to sell you the idea of ​​working with them, but at the same time you know that you are being sold the opportunity to make money Seems to be easy but in reality it is not, but rather easy for them.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life in April 2017.

Interview

The initial interview is very pleasant and vaguely informative. The next step is an assessment if it hasn't yet been completed along with a background check. Then is the more professional level interview. They ask relatively predictable questions that you would expect to hear.

Interview Questions

• They asked me what questions I had first which was relatively surprising.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

They responded to my application after about four weeks, and asked me to come in for an interview. The manager/recruiter was very kind and straightforward, and seemed genuinely interested in my employment needs and weather this was my kind of role.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What aspect of insurance/financial services attracts you?   1 Answer

Staff Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Norfolk, VA) in December 2016.

Interview

Easy and personable interview. Met with agency manager and staff manager. Got an overall feel for what they are like looking for and I how I may fit within their organization.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you liked about your former company position? Why did you leave?   1 Answer

Financial Services Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Charlotte, NC).

Interview

Overall fairly simple interview process. First in-person interview lasted no longer than 30 minutes and most of the questions were very general (tell me about yourself, etc.). My feeling was they really just wanted to gauge how personable I was. We chatted about fantasy football and what not. Overall impression, they liked me and they seemed like good people too.

Next in-person interview was more like an informative meeting where they went over the training process, how to go to market, and compensation.

Next came a drug test (urine) and background check.

Now I just need to take/pass the state life and health exams, and I can begin the training process.

Interview Questions

• How much would you like to make in your first year with us?   2 Answers

Entry Level Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Rancho San Diego, CA).

Interview

I met with Alex Cross who was very personable. He told me all about the company and his history there. They are new to California and are in a period of growth. I took a couple of assessment tests on their computer. I was sent a link to request the background check information. I left there knowing that they were interested in me as a potential employee because of the sum of my years of employment in different fields. They consider my life experiences and accumulation of knowledge as I studied a varied assortment of curriculum. I hope to move forward in the preparation for taking the exam to become an insurance broker in the state of California.

Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Orlando, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

I was told I was interviewing for sales management position but there were non available and was told that in a few months there would be an opening and could work as an agent until then.

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Tampa, FL) in March 2016.

Interview

I had a total of 3 interviews and multiple assesments to complete. The company goes through a very thorough interview process. First met with a recruiter, then the director of marketing and finally a senior sales rep. I also had to compete a personality test and now I'm studying for the series 215 so I can be officially hired.

Staff Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life in January 2016.

Interview

The interview process is fairly straight forward, assessment, app, background check. All of my questions regarding job details, recruiting, leads were answered. The interview was laid back not intense. The explanation of commission structure can get cloudy if you don't ask enough questions so be sure to ask until you feel comfortable with the answer.

Anonymous Employee in Riverside, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Western & Southern Life (Riverside, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online through Monster or CareerBuilder. I was called in about 2 weeks from a manager. I had a phone interview first. A day later, I took a quasi personality test/general knowledge test which was very easy for me, even though it was timed. I think that took may be half an hour. Anyone with a business degree and some basic knowledge of finance would be able to pass it. Two days later my background check from WSL came back clear. I did not pay for that. I had a small amount of debt and I was told as long as I don't have any child support due to the state, I would be fine and pass. I was told that the first three months are paid. I asked how. I was told with a stipend of $3K a month for three months. However, that all changed once I got my license - the first 7 weeks has a stipend. I knew going in that I would have to work 50 hours a week, may be up to 60 hours a week. I suggest if you have three or four meetings with them like I did, you ask all of your questions in detail upon the first meeting. Don't let any question you have go unanswered. Get details. They do keep part of the money you earn in their employee "bank" and I'm not sure of the purpose of that. When you earn commissions, they release it after 30 weeks (7 months).

This entire process took about 2 weeks after I got my license and passed the test. Studying for my license took over a month and I passed with ease. I had to sign a form that said I couldn't work anywhere else since this is a career agent position. I had to fill out an application with no unemployment gaps greater than 6 months within the last 10 years. I had to fill in those blanks with my university days since I was in college for a while. If you have gaps in unemployment for 6 months or more and if you were not in college, I wouldn't apply here. If you have a regular job, I'd say stay there for at least 6 months and then see if you can study part-time while working. I was asked at some point if I had life insurance - however, I was asked that after I passed the exam. Once I passed the exam, they were very aggressive in reeling me in. I asked more questions after I passed the exam.

Interview Questions

• They had a very methodical way of doing this with a series of questions (about 6-10) that needed to be asked from each section like a behavioral interview. I was ask "Give me a time when you had a situation at work where you had to make decisions with a limited amount of information" and "What was the outcome" and some other questions similar to that. You will be able to answer these questions with no problem as long as you have at least 10 years of work experience. They want to know your three top streetlights and ask you to list three top qualities that makes a good agent. As long as you refer to the ethics training you will do fine.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ask many questions up front, do not wait 6 weeks.