Zapier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.2

Sort:

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

It took two weeks to be selected for a virtual interview. The Talent Specialist reached out to me after exactly 7 days to say they were still reviewing applicants. A week later I received an e-mail requesting interview times.

I had a virtual interview with the hiring managers. The company overall looked really fun to work for, but the employees I spoke with did not seem to encompass that ideal. The hardly smiled, rested their faces on their hands, or typed/worked on other things as I was speaking. Overall, it came across very rude and as thought they were uninterested from the beginning. Based on my interaction, I wouldn't want to work for this company. They did not seem like happy people.

A few days later I received a very nice rejection e-mail which was friendly and personalized from the hiring manager. At the bottom, they included a link to a free t-shirt. When you open the link, it has the company's tagline at the very top: Zapier Makes You Happier! Well, the e-mail was nice guys, but the T-Shirt is really indignant and almost comical. It's a terrible idea to give your rejected candidates a t-shirt... and then showcase your tagline while, clearly, these people are probably not in a happy place.

Infrastructure Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zapier in July 2017.

Interview

I applied via Zapier's online application process which was primarily a handful of questions revolving primarily around real world experience stories. A refreshing change of pace from most initial applications. I don't think an actual resume ever crossed hands at any time in the process, which I have mixed feelings about.

My application resulted in an initial interview which was what I usually deem 'shop talk.' General conversation about technology stacks, work history, stories about past projects, etc. It was a fairly positive experience from my point of view and I spent a fair amount of time asking technical questions about the company's primary technology stack, culture, where they're going in the future, etc.

I'd like to touch on something that's been pointed out in other interview reviews on here. Zapier is very vocal about their hiring process, especially striving "to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us."

This worked out initially as my HR contact did touch base with me a week after my initial interview to inform me the process was still ongoing -- and then disappeared off the face of the earth for with no replies to any of my emails.

Two and a half weeks later I had pretty much written Zapier off when I get an email out of the blue wanting to set up a skills interview in a few days. Okay, cool, great, these things happen, and of course I'd be happy to oblige.

The technical interview was conducted with my initial interviewer and another engineer. From the start it was obvious that my initial interviewer did not remember talking to me at all. After asking me a few questions which we had already discussed at length in the initial interview, we got into the skills test.

The test was a short 30-45 minute project to chunk a large file and shove it into a series of memcache keys. Not terribly challenging or complex and I understand the benefits as a basic skills test, but I desperately hope that nobody thinks that doing this in any kind of actual production environment is a good idea.

I managed to present a working prototype within the allotted time without much fuss or help. I readily admitted it was a quick and dirty prototype given the time limit and most review was primarily along the lines of how it could've been obviously improved.

In general my overall experience of the second interview was pretty unpleasant. The general attitude seemed as if the interview was only happening as an unwelcome formality that my interviewers were eager to get over with.

My initial interviewer obviously did not remember talking to me in the first place. I've been working at a senior level in various aspects of software engineering for a decent amount of time and have had to do my fair share of interviewing large amounts of job applicants and I've at least managed to remember people who I had follow up interviews with.

The code review wasn't particularly constructive and primarily seemed to consist of people wanting to show off their CS 101 knowledge. Surprise! Not everybody in software engineering has a CS background, nor is it particularly indicative of skill set.

For a company that ghosted me for two and a half weeks, Zapier was very punctual in sending me a rejection email. That's fine, you can't hire everybody, not everybody is a perfect fit either culturally or technically. I'm not tore up about not getting an offer but I do not enjoy having my time wasted and I imagine most other engineers who have been around the block a few times don't either. The absolute icing on the cake was offering me a free Zapier t-shirt "for my time". Really? For real?

If this is any example of the actual culture at Zapier then I'm happy to have dodged a bullet of not being a "culture fit".

Interview Questions

• Real basic abstract 'how would you build a cluster... of anything' questions.   Answer Question

Frontend Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

They made do a project for about 4 hours long on React. After that they scheduled a Zoom interview where the interviewer didn't seem interested from the first minute of the meeting.

The interview was plain and simple, talk about yourself and ask some basic questions about technical aspects.

After that meeting they passed on my application with a generic answer about how good I was but there were more talented people applying. They made me lose my time making a project to pass on my application without even giving me a brief feedback because why they passed on my application or why there were better applications.

It seems contradictory the what they describe on the page from what they really do with the applications.

Interview Questions

• What are some gotchas you would tell to someone who is just starting React?   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Applied and heard back very promptly. They sent me weekly updates. Very upbeat and professional. I was told up front who to follow up with if I didn't hear any news within a few days. How refreshing! I was impressed by the personalized attention at the time. It did feel at one point like they knew they would pass on me but were delaying letting me know for some reason. I accepted another offer and I let them know. In response I received a nice message congratulating me. After this they still emailed me every week to say that they had no updates which made the experience feel less personalized and more automated or disorganized. I responded to each one reminding them that I withdrew, given that I accepted another role, and they still sent me a rejection notice a week later. Overall still positive. I love the intent and vision of the regular updates and following up with everyone. I hope my feedback will help the team hone the process.

Interview Questions

• What message would you send an engineer to get their attention?   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Interview

They have a non traditional interview process which requires you to answer several job related questions requiring quite a bit of time and effort. I actually found the application to be refreshing and enjoyed the questions and exercises. Unfortunately I waited three weeks with no update and finally withdrew my candidacy because of how poor the candidate experience seemed to be. They pride themselves in not going more than 7 days without touching base with their talent pipeline however the two emails I received just told me they were still reviewing applicants. Very disappointing for a company with such great reviews. When I withdrew I did get an apology and was told they were a small team of 2 trying to scale the organization. My first thought was that should have put more focus on hiring the recruiter so they could provide a better experience!

Product Support Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zapier.

Interview

Took a long time to fill out questions. Got a canned email response saying they were not interested. They say that the interview process is very personal and at least two sets of eyes look at the applications. It'd be nice if they gave more feedback rather than a canned email.

Interview Questions

• What is the role of a manager?   1 Answer

Product Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier in October 2017.

Interview

Overall good experience. Responses from recruiting and the hiring manager were pretty quick and friendly.

Part of the interview included a video conversation. The conversation was nice and pretty casual. They do a really good job of making it a little more personal and friendly.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier (Mountain View, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

It was a five part interview, with multiple call backs including a group review. It was tough but it was fair, overall a good interview process. Compared to other companies, I would say it was perhaps the best interview process I have experienced in my young career.

Customer Support Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zapier.

Interview

They have a long, detailed set of questions that takes several hours to complete. I assume this is to weed out people who are firing off resumes to every company in the city but it also sets the expectation that they will take your application seriously.

After all that, I received 7 (!) holding replies in the span of a month. They say they won't leave you hanging but this is too much. At the end of it, after spending hours on their questionnaire, I finally got a short form letter telling me I wasn't chosen. The least they could do is put in a few minutes of effort after candidates spend hours trying to get a job there.

Customer Support Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

It was really good. they really wanted to keep you updated. they asked few question which required you to familiar with their services before i could answer them.

Question included from the roles of a manager to why i would want to join their company.