Zapier Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Zapier Interview Questions

Interviews at Zapier

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zapier.

Interview

They talk a big game about how you'll receive a response from an actual human within 7 days, they even include a link to their hiring manifesto that goes on about how they value their candidates time... It's been several weeks and I never heard from them. Meanwhile the job I applied for was taken down a few days after I applied.

If their application form had been simpler I would not have been as bothered by this obvious rejection, but it actually takes a lot of time and thought to complete. I'm sure there were many applicants (especially now) but even a canned response is better than nothing, especially after making SUCH a show of how they prioritize responding to all candidates with feedback. While it's clear that this won't make any difference to them I won't bother applying again.

Customer Champion Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Interview

Very robotic experience. It didn’t seem like a human reviewed my application and i just got rejected by someone who didn’t want to be bothered to provide feedback. I know I have the qualifications to work here so the fact that they don’t want to provide us with feedback seems disingenuous. Definitely soured my opinion of Zapier and probably won’t apply here again.

Interview Questions

• I don’t remember the question but you are supposed to setup a Zap that is connected to a Google Form. Pretty easy.   Answer Question

User Experience Researcher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Zapier.

Interview

I submitted an online application and was contacted by a Zapier recruiter. That's where the normality ended. Most conversations with recruiters for UXR positions are like this: the recruiter tells the applicant about their company, their team, their research process, then asks some questions about the applicant's experience, as well as gauges for personality / polish / etc.

My conversation with Zapier was very different off the bat - the recruiter corrected my pronunciation of their name and kind of sighed and seemed annoyed, which immediately set a negative tone to the interview. Next, they asked a lot of questions that would normally be asked by a hiring manager, then kept saying they "wasn't sure they fully understood" in response my answers. Well, that's not surprising, as they're not a researcher! I tried to reword my responses several times, but it made me feel confused as well as nervous because I didn't know if I should answer the questions in a foundational way, because I'm talking to a recruiter who does not have mastery of the role, or in an advanced way, because they might be transcribing my answers to pass along to a hiring manager who obviously does. This was never made clear to me when getting feedback that they didn't understand something.

I found the whole experience disarming and stressful, and significantly different from every other interview conversation I've had with software companies. This was hugely disappointing because Zapier seems like a great company and I was incredibly excited about the role.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Zapier.

Interview

Overall this was a standard product manager interview, very collaborative to give you a feel for what working there would be like and without trick questions to make the interviewer feel smart.

I was contacted by a recruiter and our initial phone call was talking about my background and if the open roles would be a good fit. I was impressed with the recruiter's knowledge of not just the company but also the strategic priorities and what the product org would be focused on. She really understood the company and was able to give me a clear picture of their product values.

From there I had a call with the hiring manager, we spent half talking about the product domain the role would cover and half talking about our working styles. It was very easygoing.

The third step was a take home project. It was well scoped to focus on a b2b company outside of Zapier's domain and was time boxed at 4 hours which felt very fair. I presented it to a panel of PMs for discussion.

Finally I had a behavioral interview with cross functional members of the development and design team. The calls were spread out over two weeks, and each day the recruiter got back to me the same day with feedback and to schedule the next step. She was very communicative and it was refreshing to get feedback during the process to know things were going well!

Interview Questions

• Discuss the onboarding flow for a B2B company and what opportunities exist to improve it.   Answer Question

Assistant Controller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier (Austin, TX) in March 2020.

Interview

Intense, but awesome experience! I applied on Sunday. Had an email on Monday, followed by a call on Thursday, and then the interview train went rolling. This was the best interview process I've been through during my 20+ year career. My HR rep was amazing! She was communicative throughout the entire process and I was never left wondering what was going on or what to expect. Total process was 5 weeks, six interviews with eight team members.

Interview Questions

• What was the biggest mistake I've made in my career and how did I handle it?   1 Answer

Weekend Warrior/Customer Champion Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier.

Interview

I got offered a video interview after submitting an application which did not require my resume. The interview was a joke. No questions relevant to the actual role and the interviewer was pretty condescending. I studied pretty hard for this interview and got denied moving to the next step. Had they seen my resume or asked questions about the actual role instead maybe I would have advanced. Seems to be entirely based on the mood of the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• They asked what CRM stood for, not what it is, or how it operates, but the actual definition of the acronym.   Answer Question

Technical Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Zapier in February 2020.

Interview

The interview was for a role on Zapier's support team. I'll use neutral pronouns to describe the interviewer. There was one interviewed.
    My experience with Zapier overall was quite negative. The interview got off to a really poor start because my interviewer was 7 to 8 minutes late for the interview over Zoom. They barely made any mention of being late and I was off put because they gave no reason for being late. This made the interview seem very impersonal and like something my interviewer just had to do that day. Zapier didn't care about having wasted my time, Zapier just needed to execute internal processes.

The interview then continued to feel very impersonal because the interviewer barely shared their name, did not ask where I was located or disclose any personal details about themselves. I don't even know how long this person has been working at Zapier nor the context of their position. I had to ask if there was an agenda my interviewed wanted to follow for the interview to actually begin.

Questions were standard, and my responses were prepared based on previous interviews. To be honest, I had the impression that the position wasn't the best fit because what I was looking for was to move from Support into a technical role. My interviewed did reassure me that there's a progression both within Support and a path from Support to Engineering. The interview did ask insightful questions that were meant to target whether I would be a good fit for the position, and they let me know in advance that they would be taking notes. I appreciated that transparency.

Near the end of the interview, the interviewer refused to tell me what about my application caught Zapier's hiring team's eye, saying "I am not sure if I can tell you that." This was the case even though Zapier took time to send me a very nice, personal-seeming email that requested an interview and said "your application caught the hiring team's eye." Apparently, this is just lip service, and they don't record or share any notes about why a candidate seems to be a good fit. My interview was scheduled for a 30 minute block, and when I asked the interviewed if they had a few minutes for my questions they said "No, because [they have to] jump on another call." Even though my interview started almost 10 minutes late, Zapier wasn't willing or able to make the time to complete their full process and give candidates the time they're allotted. To be honest, this is the first time I've had an interview end early with no explanation. The next day I received an obviously automated email at exactly 9:00 AM in my time zone telling me that I was not a fit for this position and to not apply for 6 - 12 months.

Overall, I had the impression of a company that is experiencing growing pains and lacks transparency and collaboration within their internal systems. This looks like a company run by Engineers that lets every other department just operate willy nilly. Outwardly, they communicate excellently and have an excellent product that honestly I use on a near-daily basis to automate processes across my social media accounts. Zapier is an awesome product and I would still recommend interviewing for anyone that is really interested. Just be aware of how you approach the interview and keep my experience in mind. I hope that Zapier will improve their hiring process because this was one of the issues I read about consistently that everyone is pointing out on Glassdoor.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past experience with Training and Support?
      How do you survey your clients and ensure your training works?
      Do you have any questions for me?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Zapier in February 2020.

Interview

I would just reaffirm the negative feedback of the others. It is shocking that, for all of the infrastructure Zapier has put in place to set them apart in the hiring process, they have your standard, bored to be there, checking off the box, nnt selling the job or the company, junior recruiter as an obstacle between the candidate and the hiring manager. Perhaps the dispersed workforce doesn’t really work for talent acquisition as I am not sure they know just how bad it is from the candidate’s experience(or they do and don’t care)

Interview Questions

• Do you have any questions about the job before I start asking you questions? This is another way of saying I am too lazy to describe the job so that you can put your best foot forward in the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier in February 2020.

Interview

The process started moving quickly when the recruiter reached out only a few hours after I applied. Was able to pick from a handful of interview slots within the first week. First was a video screen with the recruiter. They were great, asked standard high level "what have you worked on," "how often do you ship code" kind of questions, and some questions I thought provided some good insight into what they expect from a coworker at Zapier. Recruiter was able to answer my questions about day-to-day in the role, structure of the team, and some of my more general "is this a company and group of people I want to work for/with" questions with actual evidence that they seek to create a healthy work life.
    Heard back quickly after the initial screen to setup an interview with the hiring manager. Hiring manager was similarly easy to interview with. Asked good questions, listened, and wasn't afraid to stray from the core of what they were getting at. They had good insight on the company, team dynamics, and clearly have considered how to support their reports.
    I the got a take home test, I opted for the backend test. 2.5 hours, it's not an especially difficult problem, there is time ahead to setup of some of the structure you need so you can focus on writing code. It's an entirely attainable project for someone who has worked on some projects. I managed to get caught up on something I should have solved in the setup prior to getting started on the task itself, and failed to complete it.
    Overall, the process made me want to work there more. Not unusual to other interview processes, after it had been decided I wasn't moving forward, the communication slowed down a bit, but that's a process problem across many companies. Overall, the recruiter was responsive, understanding, and easy to work with, and the manager someone I would happily work with.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions were unusual, and because of that, it's probably a disservice to a future interviewee to prepare an answer for what were pretty conversational questions.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Zapier in January 2020.

Interview

1. Completed an in-depth questionnaire online, received an email about three weeks later from a recruiter to schedule a video interview.
    2. Had the standard  intro video interview with the recruiter with the typical personality assessment and cultural assessment disguised as a 'get to know you'. She then passed me onto the hiring manager.
    3. The hiring manager asked pretty easy data analysis questions which included a set of pretty simple bar graphs. This caught me off-guard a bit, as I expected something a bit more challenging. He was very personable and gave positive feedback saying that I made it to the next round which consisted of a take-home assignment with a heavy emphasis on SQL. He also mentioned that there was a company retreat the following week so interviewers would be intermittently available to answer questions.
    4. Followed up with the recruiter regarding the take-home assignment. They replied with the execution details. From what I could gather, the goal of the assessment is to measure a candidate’s data analysis skills with little to no focus on machine learning basics. Candidates are given a week to complete the assessment. They are also provided the option to reach out with questions regarding requirements details.
    5. Spent two full nights on the assessment which exceeded the suggested six-hour time box. The day before the assignment was due (and after the company was back from their retreat) I reached out to the recruiter one last time to get some reassurance about any machine learning expectations only to receive a vague response.
    6. The day after I submitted my work, I received a blanket email from the recruiter with a simple, unexplained rejection. Upon asking for feedback, she said there were 'errors in the ETL'. Having invested a significant amount of time into this, I responded by asking for clarity regarding the said errors. After all, most anyone would clearly be frustrated with someone claiming there are bugs in their code without merit.
    7. I sent another email pointing out that there were data integrity issues in the raw data table that could be related to the supposed errors. The recruiter replied stating that the data architecture issues were by design and candidates are expected to be able to work with “real-world data”, then bragged that their interview process is hard and that’s why they’re great. However, the “real-world data” argument typically applies to external data sources. This project involved user activity data from Zapier’s own platform.

That sums up my interview experience with Zapier.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me about a time in which you had conflict with a peer or manager, and how you handled it?   Answer Question