ZeniMax Media Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 11, 2017

2.8

QA Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Rockville, MD) in August 2017.

Interview

Started with one phone interview with a QA lead. One week later, I was contacted for an on-site interview with 2 more QA leads. Questions will range from personality-based to seeing how creative you can be regarding the testing process. Make sure you understand the testing process before you go in.

QA Tester Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media.

Interview

There was a phone screen initially, then they set up an on-site interview.

During the interview there were questions about my background, my familiarity with games, and a test of screen shots where I was asked to identify issues.

Interview Questions

• Describe an issue you found in a game and what you did about it.   Answer Question

Language QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hunt Valley, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Hunt Valley, MD) in September 2016.

Interview

An HR person contacted me to have a phone interview with the hiring manager. About a week later, I spoke with the manager on the phone, which went very well. The HR person then got back in contact with me to tell me that they wanted me to have another phone interview (even though their office is only 30 minutes away and an in-person interview would have been better) with a member of the QA team. It took a few weeks to set this interview up due to this person being out on vacation. The interview (which was conducted in the target language, which is not my native language) went well. However, the HR person kept putting me off when I e-mailed after the interview and, after about a month and a few unanswered e-mails, I was finally told that I didn't get it. This had already become clear to me, obviously, but I was surprised to be blown off repeatedly after 2 interviews.

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Austin, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process took about 4 weeks after the point of contact. HR was very diligent with contact, arranging interviews, and addressing any questions I had about the position.

Your phone interview will be very direct and to the point, reviewing your credentials and how you view the position.

The on-site interview was quite a refreshing balance of fun and professionalism. The environment was relaxed and the interviewers were not afraid to get to know you and have a few laughs. The process involved meeting with separate blocks of 2 team members you would be working with more directly. The questions were relevant to the position and they know exactly what they are looking for. The conversations were both thought provoking and will make you want to work with the team even more. There was no fear of offering you some constructive criticism which I appreciated greatly as growth is important to me.

While I received no offer, I viewed this interview as a valuable experience and learned something important from each team that interviewed me. It was hard to contain the excitement of getting a peek inside the studio which I am still kind of coming down from.

Interview Questions

• "What is Community Management to you?"   1 Answer

Information Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Austin, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter to determine my interest in the position, then completed a few phone screening calls from both HR and the hiring manager. Talked to multiple people on different teams with different disciplines about my past and present work experience. Standard interview to see it I would fit the team. Some in person conversations as well as remote/video conferencing with other people on other teams. Also had a one on one with the hiring manager to determine fit. Negotiated salary before interviews and received final approval and contract before starting as a direct hire.

Interview Questions

• Few technical questions, more about process and get to know you questions.   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media.

Interview

The interview process with Zenimax was very professional. It was a day long event with many leads and subject matter experts from various disciplines asking relevant questions. They were straight forward and honest as to the current status of the project. They previewed not only the game but gave me an in depth tool demonstration as well.

Interview Questions

• Describe the most challenging feature you were asked to design.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Zenimax is a large company and moves a bit slower than some might expect. Be patient.

Network Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Rockville, MD) in April 2013.

Interview

Initial communication via email shortly after sending my resume, no HR or phone interview, scheduled to meet the tech team right away. Overall, probably the best interview experience I had so far in my life.

First, there are very few standard nonsense HR questions. Don't waste time rehearsing answers to questions like "where do you see yourself in five years?" (sitting in your chair, sipping scotch, why?), "what can you bring to the company in addition to your technical skills?" (I can bring my cat if you let me) or "Why you chose ABC inc?" (because I hope you'll pay me my salary, right?). Leave that stuff for your next interview with yet-another-consulting-firm. Here, it's all technical. Even better, it's not just a "Please rate your experience with SANs on the scale 1 to 10" type of questions (which have always confused me big time, how am I supposed to know? It's eleven!), there are actual quiz questions. So, brush up your knowledge of networks, Active Directory, standard tcp/ip ports, subnetting et al, you'll need it. Not too hardcore though - I expected more of IOS and Linux.

Second, the interview is very informal and quite funny, so is the general atmosphere. People seem to be genuinely interested in what they do. No dress code (yay!) Metro accessible location, quiet DC suburb. Everyone - from the receptionist, to the HR and the tech team are super nice and friendly.

Worth attending, regardless of the outcome, just to get a chance to see Zenimax/Bethesda from the inside (and a must if you like video games, like myself, - something to tell your friends later) and meet these guys. If you're skilled enough and lucky, you'll see your name in the credits of the next TES series game, how cool is that?

QA Tester Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cockeysville, MD

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Cockeysville, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

Resume sent, Instant reply back with a QA Team questionare by email, then Live Interview at studio.Then a quick reply with offer.

Quality Assurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rockville, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media (Rockville, MD) in August 2011.

Interview

3 interviews. The first interview was mostly personal questions and related-experience probing. Very relaxed and easy questions.

The second interview seemed mostly to be an expansion on the first interview, but adding additional questions and tests to the process.

The third interview was much more in-depth and a little jarring with how well they've designed their questions and exercises to test your critical thinking and descriptive abilities.

Required to sign many NDA's throughout each interview.

Interview Questions

• (This one almost caused me to mentally break down for some reason)

Describe (on paper) how to fully disassemble and assemble a mechanical pen that they present.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I believe all qa interns make a flat 15 per hour

Administrative Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ZeniMax Media.

Interview

First interview via phone, with the team in Asia, follow up by meeting them in person then last round of skype interview with Executive in US HQ. Everyone's really nice and friendly, super easy to get along, make you very comfortable.

Interview Questions

• Standard ones also your hobbies (fav console games etc)   Answer Question