ATPCO Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.7
Rolf Purzer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Culture is changing ...I think"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dulles, VA

I have been working at ATPCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, flex-time, great benefits, free parking, located next to the airport which is convenient for travel. Good training budget. Easy to get licenses for any software you need for you job. I like my manager and my manager's manager. Not too fond of my manager's manager's manager, though. Nor her manager. There's a lot of layers in this company.

Cons

It's a weird combination of old-timers who are stuck in their old ways of doing things and new people who don't understand why we can't be innovative and agile. I am optimistic about change, but I think it's going to be a slow, painful process.

Advice to Management

Don't use "because that's how we have always done it" as a reason for ANYTHING. Really think critically about how and why you are moving in a certain direction, and make sure your reasons for doing so are valid. Be open to ideas. Don't be scared of trying something new.

"Hidden gem! Close-knit company considering it is in a major industry."

I have been working at ATPCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The interview process was straightforward and clearly laid out. During my on-boarding process I got the sense that I was joining a close-knit group of passionate people...and so far those initial feelings have been confirmed. Most people seem to embrace the fact that change is coming and are excited about inventing solutions to the challenges that appear. (I have worked in places where this is not the case, and it is refreshing to be around people who get excited about their jobs.) Salary and benefits are generous and very competitive with others in the industry.

Cons

There are a small but vocal crowd who think the change facing our industry can be avoided or somehow sidestepped...and that things can continue as they always have. These folks can put out a slight, but detectable, passive aggressiveness towards those who want to be proactive in meeting the challenges that come about because of the changes taking place in our industry.

Advice to Management

Continue to encourage those who seek to meet the challenges of change. Continue and expand efforts to keep ATPCO relevant in a changing environment.

Feb 22, 2017 – Director

Thanks for your feedback. I'd love to discuss any ideas you have as you continue your onboarding into the company - particularly as it relates to change management. Cheers, Beth

"Company evolving to an innovation culture"

I have been working at ATPCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Energetic leadership
    Small, nimble teams
    Great benefits / salary / professional resources available given company size
    Open door policy with management
    Social activities
    Great People!
    Owned by largest airlines in the world

Cons

Older building, need to brighten it up

Advice to Management

Keep embracing agile, and a culture of innovation. Look for new and interesting ideas from all employee levels

"Recent positive reviews are being requested by new management"

Current Employee - Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dulles, VA

I have been working at ATPCO full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay
    Good benefit
    Free airport parking

Cons

Glass ceiling
    Change is a facade, leadership is stuck in old ways
    Individual contributors are not allowed to express themselves

Advice to Management

Listen to your analysts and developers
    Modern companies value bottom up change
    Don't hire talent to treat him as interchangeable resources

Feb 22, 2017 – Director

As I noted above - there appears to be a misconception of our team's work as we understand the voice of the company. My name is Beth Taylor, and I am your new Director of Marketing & Communications... More

"A Great Company With Very Dysfunctional Management"

Current Employee - Market Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Current Employee - Market Analyst in Dulles, VA

I have been working at ATPCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful, hard-working, humble collective with a lot of knowledge about the industry
    Free airport parking
    Generous vacation and benefits
    Relatively low stress environment
    Pretty difficult to get fired unless you're a complete psycho

Cons

Very dysfunctional middle and upper management with a lot of passive-aggressive behavior, micro management and backstabbing, which creates an often toxic work environment.

Certain managers who have gained favor with senior management get their employees promoted in record time while other people toil away and provide a lot of value and don't get recognized at all.

Management style is top-down and fairly autocratic. Things get done because "senior management said so".

Rules seem to be applied very arbitrarily - some employees are given remote work, while others are denied, without any explanation or justification.

There is constantly this sense of living in fear of having done something wrong. Management loves to dig up mistakes and point them out in large meetings to gloat and make themselves feel superior.

Advice to Management

Not sure if any advice will help since management is pretty much living in a bubble.

Feb 22, 2017 – Director

Your profile mentions you are a current employee of ATPCO, I invite you to reach out to me privately and contribute any constructive ideas that can help bridge the gap you mention between middle... More

"IT Management is overbearing"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Dulles, VA

I worked at ATPCO full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company could be great; it is an easy industry, they have an monopoly in the travel industry. The people generally are nice.

Cons

Senior IT management MICRO manage. If they think someone is not doing it their way it is the highway for that person. They are quick to fire slow to hire... so others end up doing extra work when there is short staffed... There is little room for growth or improvement, since employees are fired for taking risks.

If you are planning on working here, ask HR what is the turn over in your area. you will not get a solid answer....

Advice to Management

get a clue and attend management training, you are probably doing YOUR job wrong.

7. "Customer Service Consultant"

Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Ashburn, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Consultant in Ashburn, VA

I worked at ATPCO (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diversity, interesting, good benefits, some work from home

Cons

high pressure atmosphere, time sensitive requirements

"Product Team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreline, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shoreline, WA

I worked at ATPCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Few Good Managers with industry knowledge
    Job security

Cons

Payscale - average
    Work culture - top-down.
    Teams under-staffed

Advice to Management

Current culture is taxing and not-rewarding.

"First they break your will. Then they break your spirit."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dulles, VA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dulles, VA

I worked at ATPCO full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My chair had armrests and swiveled. Free “coffee.” Paycheck didn’t bounce. Building has heat and air conditioning. Ample parking.

Cons

Please do not repeat my mistake. ATPCO is where ambition, creativity, and innovation go to die.

If you are ambitious, motivated, and upwardly mobile, you will absolutely regret accepting a job here. Please, save yourself the heartache. It is simply not worth it.

This is a backwards, stodgy, depressing, boring place to work. Individuals are promoted into middle management not because of skill or ability (clearly) but because they have worked here for decades. This company operates 180 degrees opposite of any modern management or leadership practice. New employees are specifically told not to make any suggestions for improvements or process efficiencies because they “do not have credibility and have not proven themselves.” At the beginning of one weekly staff meeting, two managers spent several minutes mocking homosexuals and a mentally handicapped employee.

At one point, I was told that the culture is “kind of quirky,” and that I should “just drink the Kool Aid.” The culture is not quirky. It’s toxic. The culture and management style of the company can best be described as autocratic. You will do what you’re told, how you’re told, and when you’re told. Asking questions, taking initiative, or thinking outside of the box will get you labeled as a “difficult employee.” I know because this happened to me. Rules are rigidly enforced, unless bending them benefits the company. There is no give and take. Did you have to work till 2:00 am on some special project? Tough. Better be in by 8:00 am the next morning.

You are required to seek management permission for anything and everything. Want to take a 30 minute lunch break instead of an hour? You need a manager’s approval, at least 48 hours in advance. Yes, this is an actual regulation in the employee handbook. And these silly, demoralizing, de-motivating, corporate bureaucratic regulations aren’t just for hourly, clerical-level employees. This same childish treatment is applied to individuals with graduate degrees, a decade of work experience, and a 70k+ salary. I was treated with more autonomy, respect, and integrity as an unpaid intern.

If you are a corporate drone, without an independent thought in your head, who dreams of toiling away your career in a cubicle farm (check out the pictures), this place might be for you. If you desire meaningful work, an opportunity to be challenged, advance your career, and make a difference, you will want to bash your head against the wall every day you come to this miserable place.

Advice to Management

Filling out this section would be a waste of time because management has demonstrated clearly and repeatedly that they do not want to change anything.

"Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dulles, VA

I have been working at ATPCO full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lot's of changes have been made in the last 5 years or so that make this company unrecognizable from what it was before. Low stress, smart people, good work, good benefits

Cons

Very difficult to learn the business
    No variable compensation plan

Advice to Management

none