ActiveHealth Management Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Adam Scott

Pros
Cons
  • Within AHM and its parent company there is a lot of change occurring and on the horizon (in 6 reviews)

• Even though many employees can work from home, there is little to zero flexibility (in 3 reviews)

1. "Excellent Leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working atmosphere, great team leaders.

Cons

hired for a new program and many changes happened on protocols and procedures within months. Benefits are not the best.

"Good potential sunk by offshore and middle managers' egos"

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time

Pros

I worked in IT. A handful of people I worked with were dedicated, honest, friendly professionals. When we were given freedom to do our jobs how we saw fit, the results were impressive. I learned a lot from such people, had fun working, and enjoyed my job. As is often the case, if you have a good team, it can help you endure a bad organization.

Cons

A while before I left, almost all freedom to do our jobs how we saw fit had been taken away. It was a continual succession of new department heads coming in, trying to impress their will upon the department for a few months, and then leaving. Rinse, repeat. One department head championed agile development; this transition was strenuously fought by middle managers terrified of change, and when they were no longer forced to move to agile, it went right out the door.

Another department head championed offshore development, testing, and support; this transition went even more poorly. We spent more time in repetitive meetings, mandatory despite us having nothing to add to the meeting and nothing to learn from it, than doing our jobs, creating & delivering great software.

I mentioned a handful of people that were great to work with. I feel this was in the minority; too many were narcissistic and condescending middle managers, team members who stab each other in the back and refuse to talk to you unless you fill out all the right forms, and people full of fear more interested in political intrigues and manipulation than doing good work.

Advice to Management

Clear out the dead weight. Focus on delivering value instead of the illusion of power that comes from excessive tiers of managers below you.

"I must disagree"

Current Employee - Senior Medical Director in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Medical Director in High Point, NC

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

As one of two physicians who work for AHM in High Point, NC, this review is to refute the review of another party listed as "Medical Officer" who is neither of us and has posted on this site. Glass door has been asked to remove or revise that review but has refused to do so.

ActiveHealth is an innovative and supportive place to work. We have best-in-class care management, consumer engagement, and clinical analytic capabilities and serve millions of members representing a variety of clients from private sector to large government entities.
    Employees are engaged, their input valued, and are important contributors to the constant cycle of improvement that is our hallmark.
    Customers often cite our agility, transparency and posture of partnership as key differentiators from others in the marketplace.
    In particular, the team in High Point, NC is very high performing. We have a collaborative culture of excellence and inclusion that is promoted by employees at all levels of the organization. Senior leadership is adept at communicating priorities and strategy enabling all to relate their contributions to the progress of the whole.

Cons

Within AHM and its parent company there is a lot of change occurring and on the horizon. This is really an opportunity for us to grow, to change and further differentiate our expertise. So far we are meeting and beating these challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue strong, effective and frequent communications efforts engaging all areas of the company

"Great company in a tough market"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Owned by a health insurance company but independent and can innovate to stay ahead of competitors
    Flexible and agile, able to weather very difficult business environment
    Dedicated employees who can find solutions and do anything if given the opportunity
    Stability because of larger parent company, and publicly traded status
    Strong sense of camaraderie born of "stepchild" status from parent company

Cons

Lack of resources because of parent company demands
    Changing markets, makes for changing rules of engagement and ambiguity
    Siloed departments make it difficult to use resources in other departments
    Lack of sharing, may be because of fear for jobs?

Advice to Management

Stay the course through market ups and downs, don't allow parent company to water down your products and services, and never give away the patents that make you unique in the market

"Current employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chantilly, VA

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many individuals are highly dedicated and collaborative.

Cons

Since being acquired by Aetna, the company has endured frequent realignments with poor planning and high and mid level managers' short tenures. All of these cause confusion and inability to make meaningful progress on initiatives.

"Health coach"

Former Employee - Health Coach in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Health Coach in Chantilly, VA

Pros

Ability to work from home, compensation

Cons

not keeping up with technology, poor management, outdated systems

"Health Coach Associate"

Former Employee - HEALTH COACH ASSOCIATE Health Coach Associate in Chantilly, VA

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (More than a year)

Pros

Team player mentality and great management

Cons

Reorganization and drawing on layoffs against employees already securely in the employment system.

Advice to Management

Hire more LPNs

9. "Best Place to Work"

Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for 3+ yrs here at Active Health in the Quality Engineering unit. The QA vision, mission is very clearly articulated, the employees are valued and measured very objectively for their effort and deliverables. We continues to deliver defect free software into Production - benefiting the end customer.

Cons

At times, too long hours during the Releases

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, the company has a bright future.

"Clueless management"

Former Employee - Desktop Engineer in Chantilly, VA
    Former Employee - Desktop Engineer in Chantilly, VA

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many competent coworkers
    decent health benefits

Cons

Incompetent upper management in IT.
    There's little appreciation for hard work, especially when the IT department has been stripped to a bare-bone staff.

Advice to Management

Entirely new IT management is needed.

"Massive layoffs"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, decent PTO and other benefits, very smart employees

Cons

Poor planning when expanding the workforce. Tons of positions have been eliminated due to a large revenue gap the company is experiencing due to loss of business. People who were hired even 6 months to a year ago have been laid off and left with no job or way to pay for their families. The entire IT department has been wiped out. And there has been a hiring freeze for MONTHS. Also most employees who quit are not able to be replaced leaving departments with VERY high workloads.

Advice to Management

Think about how these layoffs are effecting people and their families going forward.