ActiveHealth Management Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Adam Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Even though many employees can work from home, there is little to zero flexibility (in 4 reviews)

• Within AHM and its parent company there is a lot of change occurring and on the horizon (in 6 reviews)

1. "Active Health Managment Employee Review"

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time

Pros

Pay, work at home, flexibility, wellness incentive

Cons

little to no room for movement w/in the company

2. "Management Failure"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (More than 3 years)

Pros

They promised all sorts of management support for software developers. They talked the talk.

Cons

They did not walk the walk. They pushed agile programming, but refused to do anything to move the blockades. Specifically, in my case, they had major performance problems and decreed that to be the highest priority project. Then, they refused to force other teams to give us the resources we needed to fix the issues. When the time ran out, they couldn't understand why the work wasn't completely done.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are, in large part, running a software development shop, and not just an insurance company; they need to be run differently in order to be run effectively!

3. "Telephonic health coach providing chronic disease management for diverse population"

Former Employee - RN Care Manager in KenTownshipood, MI
    Former Employee - RN Care Manager in KenTownshipood, MI

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Independence; provide the type of nursing care I always wanted to and never had time for - patient education! Intuitive program and excellent resources.

Cons

Long hours on the phone; need to be very organized and good at time management. Sometimes feel that management is more reactive than proactive with staffing provision. Often felt like AHM was the "evil stepchild" of Aetna - rarely did AHM employees get recognition for work done (awards etc). I participated in a Kaizen event and few if any of the recommendations we provided were even followed up on.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of needs of staff. Don't tighten staffing so much that employees are constantly scrambling to fulfill their duties. Communicate more directly and regularly with staff.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not sure there are any now

Cons

Too many issues, no accountability, awful environment,

Advice to Management

New management would significantly help!!

"Wellness coach"

Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Flexibility to work from home is nice. Benefits and compensation are competitive and/or higher than the competition.

Cons

Leadership does not have much direction. Poor communication is consistent. There are no efforts to improve employee engagement, and only those who can drive productivity at the expense of burning out employees are promoted.

Advice to Management

Poll your employees to gain an understanding of there engagement levels and then take action on the results.

6. "Excellent Leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working atmosphere, great team leaders.

Cons

hired for a new program and many changes happened on protocols and procedures within months. Benefits are not the best.

"Questionable"

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time

Pros

Work life balance was important in our office

Cons

Leadership lacks skills and are more managers than leaders

Advice to Management

Listen and learn from current staff

"Good potential sunk by offshore and middle managers' egos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time

Pros

I worked in IT. A handful of people I worked with were dedicated, honest, friendly professionals. When we were given freedom to do our jobs how we saw fit, the results were impressive. I learned a lot from such people, had fun working, and enjoyed my job. As is often the case, if you have a good team, it can help you endure a bad organization.

Cons

A while before I left, almost all freedom to do our jobs how we saw fit had been taken away. It was a continual succession of new department heads coming in, trying to impress their will upon the department for a few months, and then leaving. Rinse, repeat. One department head championed agile development; this transition was strenuously fought by middle managers terrified of change, and when they were no longer forced to move to agile, it went right out the door.

Another department head championed offshore development, testing, and support; this transition went even more poorly. We spent more time in repetitive meetings, mandatory despite us having nothing to add to the meeting and nothing to learn from it, than doing our jobs, creating & delivering great software.

I mentioned a handful of people that were great to work with. I feel this was in the minority; too many were narcissistic and condescending middle managers, team members who stab each other in the back and refuse to talk to you unless you fill out all the right forms, and people full of fear more interested in political intrigues and manipulation than doing good work.

Advice to Management

Clear out the dead weight. Focus on delivering value instead of the illusion of power that comes from excessive tiers of managers below you.

"Shifting Priorities Create Chaos while Impacting Quality"

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People's desire to do good and collaborate based on the needs changing the landscape of healthcare.

Cons

Shifting Priorities Create Chaos
    Lack of planning and attention to detail impacts quality of deliverables with "lessons learned" exercises producing no net gain
    Silo communication creates the "you should have known" approach when issues arrive
    Account management team is very weak in client representation and communication
    Creativity inhibited by 2 organizations above the subsidiary (Consumer Health Services and Aetna) with different visions creating conflict
    Consumer Health Services company above ActiveHealth is not a revenue generation organization but uses ActiveHealth's cash for overhead expenses.

Advice to Management

Aetna and Consumer Health Services is stifling your ability to be best in class and market leader. Funding is controlled by 2 organizations above but with an expectation to do more with less.

"I must disagree"

Current Employee - Senior Medical Director in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Medical Director in High Point, NC

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

As one of two physicians who work for AHM in High Point, NC, this review is to refute the review of another party listed as "Medical Officer" who is neither of us and has posted on this site. Glass door has been asked to remove or revise that review but has refused to do so.

ActiveHealth is an innovative and supportive place to work. We have best-in-class care management, consumer engagement, and clinical analytic capabilities and serve millions of members representing a variety of clients from private sector to large government entities.
    Employees are engaged, their input valued, and are important contributors to the constant cycle of improvement that is our hallmark.
    Customers often cite our agility, transparency and posture of partnership as key differentiators from others in the marketplace.
    In particular, the team in High Point, NC is very high performing. We have a collaborative culture of excellence and inclusion that is promoted by employees at all levels of the organization. Senior leadership is adept at communicating priorities and strategy enabling all to relate their contributions to the progress of the whole.

Cons

Within AHM and its parent company there is a lot of change occurring and on the horizon. This is really an opportunity for us to grow, to change and further differentiate our expertise. So far we are meeting and beating these challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue strong, effective and frequent communications efforts engaging all areas of the company