ActiveHealth Management Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Adam Scott

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Even though many employees can work from home, there is little to zero flexibility (in 4 reviews)

• Within AHM and its parent company there is a lot of change occurring and on the horizon (in 6 reviews)

"I must disagree"

Current Employee - Senior Medical Director in High Point, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Medical Director in High Point, NC

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

As one of two physicians who work for AHM in High Point, NC, this review is to refute the review of another party listed as "Medical Officer" who is neither of us and has posted on this site. Glass door has been asked to remove or revise that review but has refused to do so.

ActiveHealth is an innovative and supportive place to work. We have best-in-class care management, consumer engagement, and clinical analytic capabilities and serve millions of members representing a variety of clients from private sector to large government entities.
    Employees are engaged, their input valued, and are important contributors to the constant cycle of improvement that is our hallmark.
    Customers often cite our agility, transparency and posture of partnership as key differentiators from others in the marketplace.
    In particular, the team in High Point, NC is very high performing. We have a collaborative culture of excellence and inclusion that is promoted by employees at all levels of the organization. Senior leadership is adept at communicating priorities and strategy enabling all to relate their contributions to the progress of the whole.

Cons

Within AHM and its parent company there is a lot of change occurring and on the horizon. This is really an opportunity for us to grow, to change and further differentiate our expertise. So far we are meeting and beating these challenges.

Advice to Management

Continue strong, effective and frequent communications efforts engaging all areas of the company

2. "Not the best place for enthusiastic individuals"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Aetna's pay package, bonus and other perks. Occasional work from home

Cons

Too much politics, little knowledge sharing, hidden promotional games

Advice to Management

Be more transparent and bring onboard more people with great soft skills and professional manners.

3. "RN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to work with , management

Cons

Disconnect between IT and clinical

Advice to Management

Expand on ideas from staff

4. "Disorganized division with a lack of humanity"

Former Employee - Health Coach
    Former Employee - Health Coach

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with employees to assist in reaching their health and wellness goals. Instructing group coaching sessions and presentations on a variety of topics.

Cons

Here are a list of concerns. Unrealistic expectations coupled with a lack of clearly set expectations, lack of support from manager, lack of transparency, red tape, confusion on role and decision makers, and a lack of accountability across the entire division. Active Health let’s the accounts make the decisions and run the show.

Also, training is not applicable to positions and no direction is given while the account tries to make the decisions on what needs to be done (large corporation requirements). You are unable to instruct fitness type classes due to liability reasons from the company, unless your manager says it’s okay. This leads to more confusion and ambiguity across the role and what you can actually do.

In addition, you need to be prepared for yearly audits that take up months of your physical and emotional time as you are judged on every decision you have made weather or not it was in your control.

They have no problem keeping you uninformed such as interviewing your replacement and then asking you to train them before you leave.

Advice to Management

Do what’s right for your team and do what’s right for the company rather than being afraid of keeping a large account. In the end, if you’re not running the show then are you really being a health management company or are you a place holder for a company right off?

Look elsewhere because there are other health and wellness programs that do what’s right and stand up for their team. (Premise Health, Optium, and Health Plus One)

5. "Management Failure"

Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (More than 3 years)

Pros

They promised all sorts of management support for software developers. They talked the talk.

Cons

They did not walk the walk. They pushed agile programming, but refused to do anything to move the blockades. Specifically, in my case, they had major performance problems and decreed that to be the highest priority project. Then, they refused to force other teams to give us the resources we needed to fix the issues. When the time ran out, they couldn't understand why the work wasn't completely done.

Advice to Management

Realize that you are, in large part, running a software development shop, and not just an insurance company; they need to be run differently in order to be run effectively!

6. "Active Health Managment Employee Review"

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time

Pros

Pay, work at home, flexibility, wellness incentive

Cons

little to no room for movement w/in the company

7. "Telephonic health coach providing chronic disease management for diverse population"

Former Employee - RN Care Manager in KenTownshipood, MI
    Former Employee - RN Care Manager in KenTownshipood, MI

I worked at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Independence; provide the type of nursing care I always wanted to and never had time for - patient education! Intuitive program and excellent resources.

Cons

Long hours on the phone; need to be very organized and good at time management. Sometimes feel that management is more reactive than proactive with staffing provision. Often felt like AHM was the "evil stepchild" of Aetna - rarely did AHM employees get recognition for work done (awards etc). I participated in a Kaizen event and few if any of the recommendations we provided were even followed up on.

Advice to Management

Be more aware of needs of staff. Don't tighten staffing so much that employees are constantly scrambling to fulfill their duties. Communicate more directly and regularly with staff.

"Toxic"

Current Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President in Arlington, VA

I have been working at ActiveHealth Management full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not sure there are any now

Cons

Too many issues, no accountability, awful environment,

Advice to Management

New management would significantly help!!

"Wellness coach"

Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Former Employee - Wellness Coach in Rolling Meadows, IL

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (More than 5 years)

Pros

The Flexibility to work from home is nice. Benefits and compensation are competitive and/or higher than the competition.

Cons

Leadership does not have much direction. Poor communication is consistent. There are no efforts to improve employee engagement, and only those who can drive productivity at the expense of burning out employees are promoted.

Advice to Management

Poll your employees to gain an understanding of there engagement levels and then take action on the results.

10. "Excellent Leaders"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at ActiveHealth Management (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent working atmosphere, great team leaders.

Cons

hired for a new program and many changes happened on protocols and procedures within months. Benefits are not the best.